Breakfast

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by theblondestgirl
    on

Folks could I have a few breakfast ideas? The meals I’ve been having really aren’t cutting it. Usually I have two scrambled eggs with a handful of tomatoes or spinach. That or a smoothie – two tablespoons of yogurt with frozen mixed berries and spinach and possibly some chia seeds. It’s all done in the nutribullet so you don’t need to worry about loss of fibre.
    The problem is neither of those really fill me up and I’m usually very hungry not long after. I can be funny about eggs so the egg muffin things aren’t really an option for me but I’m open to any other suggestions, thanks!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi theblondestgirl – you don’t say how long you have been on the BSD way of eating and if you are new, the hunger things should resolve in time. A few simple breakfast ideas are – scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, yogurt with berries, nuts and/or seeds, eggs Florentine (eggs baked into a dish of wilted spinach).

It’s possible to make a simple bread using a little butter, an egg, a bit of baking powder and a couple of tablespoons of ground linseed (flaxseed). Basically you beat all the ingredients together with a fork and microwave for 2mins – I sometimes put the mix in a couple of little silicone cupcake moulds so I get little muffin shaped buns. This bread can be used as you would ordinary bread, which might give you a few more options. As I’m in maintenance I haven’t worked out the cals and carbs, but it’s certainly low in carbs, as all elements used are low carb items.

Hope you find some options that suit you and that it helps you get to where you want to be.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As a T2 you might want to shed all the white carbs from your life but I have no idea what an egg muffin is – is it a muffin with an egg on. How is the BG doing. You say you are funny with eggs but have been having scrambled eggs. If I eat too many eggs over a short period they have an unfortunate effect on my digestion as did the Metformin. There are lots of lovely breakfasts in the recipe book, try a variation on omelettes on the days you feel you can have egg, plain with 2 eggs and nothing else, or 2 eggs with mushrooms. Talking of mushrooms, have you tried 2 large Portobello mushrooms stuffed with spinach and feta cheese, under the grill for 10 mins. I do have porridge made with real oats but only about once a week and only 20 grams but it is what you have with it, like berries, nuts and seeds with a tablespoon of yoghurt. Today I had a poached egg with grilled mushrooms all for 90 calories. You will get used to the low calories, it just takes a little time but it is worth it in terms of T2 results.

• posted by Nelliegrace
    on

I have been making kefir using full fat milk. I add a teaspoon of muesli and a teaspoon of ground mixed seeds and a bit of fruit, we have been picking blackberries for weeks, or some grated apple and cinnamon. It keeps me full till we have a salad or a bowl of homemade soup for a late lunch.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I struggle with breakfasts too, but this morning I had left over roast beef and vegetables! Delicious and lasted me until lunchtime. But I had to find something else for lunch! You don’t have to eat ‘breakfast food’ in the morning, it’s a fairly new idea anyway, pushed by sugary cereal companies.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You are so right about cereal companies, Nat. This is a relatively new notion that began after WW2. Think
    outside of the box! .Remember, Koreans enjoy garlicky, hot pepper laced kimchi for breakfast 🙂

• posted by Invicta
    on

I’m still liking the mushrooms, goats cheese and pine nuts for breakfast. I wanted something quick and easy to fit in with the family breakfast. Wasn’t too keen on the melon spinach almond milk shake. It seemed like a fuss

Please log in or register to post a reply.