Blood Sugar Drop

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bobpot1
    on

Two days on the BSD and my blood sugar level dropped to 2.8, only the second time it has dropped below 4.0 in eighteen years. Should I reduce my Metformin or take a certain about of carbs?

• posted by Sws
    on

Wow, are you feeling ok? Have you rechecked your blood sugars. I am only on my first day so not the person to give advice, if you are feeling ok why not have a healthy snack and keep monitoring. Have you talked to your GP/ diabetic nurse, you need an appointment with them. It is probably the gliclicide you need to be reducing rather than the metformin.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

There is a thread called Coming off medication that discusses this situation and it appears that Gliclazide does probably need to be discontinued quite quickly when your blood sugar starts dropping very low. Talk to your doctor, and see what they think.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Bobpot1, the book says Metformin might have to be reduced and many have done that on their own. I personally am on insulin and Glicazide and have seriously reduced both without medical intervention. The Glicazide was giving my very low reading in the afternoon. Some Metformin takers have become drug free on this plan. You need to decide for yourself, i.e. drop a little at a time or wait to see a doctor. Beware, the doctor might tell you to stop the diet. Please read the evidence, there is lots of it on here. Also, go onto Dr Roy Taylors site at Newcastle University where he provides ‘Notes for Doctors’ This might help you when you see yours.

Okay, just read your profile and you are on quite high dose Metformin (4400 daily). You could try dropping in a bit but do see your doctor and discuss your attempts to lower your BG with diet and ask for advice on the Metformin. More important is to keep yourself safe. When I go very low I have a BSD compatible snack like some chicken or ham or cheese. Today I felt a bit shaky and didn’t want meat so had 4 prunes and half a tub of full fat Greek yoghurt.

• posted by Verano
    on

That seems a very very low figure. I would speak to your medical practitioner immediately.

I have very recently stopped taking metformin (2000mg slow release a day). When I had my last HbA1c and it was 34 on just a 1000mg a day for the previous 3 months. My diabetes nurse was quite shocked that it had remained as low as my previous reading of 33 on 2000mg a day. She told me to stop taking metformin immediately. She seemed quite perturbed and obviously didn’t want my blood sugars to fall any further. Make a phone call without delay.

Please log in or register to post a reply.