Blood Glucose Monitor – help!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post in the forum (in fact in any forum!) so hope it ends up in the right place. I’ve recently been diagnosed with T2 diabetes and I started the BSD last week. I ‘m doing OK – I’ve been reading lots of valuable info and advice on here – but I need some help – I’m struggling to pick/buy a blood glucose meter.

I’m keen to monitor my blood glucose daily at least for a few months to really get to grips with how what I eat impacts on my blood sugar. I’ve also been prescribed Metformin. I got the tablets on Friday and wanted to test my bloods for a week before I start taking them.

I was going to get the Freestyle Freedom Lite but when I phoned Abbott on Friday the woman said it was no longer available (although it’s still on the website?), then the Bayer Contour Next USB (I like the idea of being able to track on my laptop – don’t have mobile phone) but that’s sold out. I also looked at Codefree as test strips are cheaper – but read reviews which question the accuracy of the readings. Someone recommended Accu-Chek Aviva but it’s not currently available on Amazon. Help!!!

Can anyone give me advice on which meters are currently available, and have a good reputation. My priority right now is for accuracy. Once I get to grips with understanding my blood sugar levels and reactions I can test less frequently – so save on costs.

Hope this makes sense

Marie

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I dont know where you are to give you specific advice, England, America, Australia, we are from all over the place on here. BUT, I live in France and use a One Touch Verio IQ which I get free on prescription but know from when I got my first one and had not got my diabetic prescription charge exemption certificate I paid €78 or about £60 at that time (12 years ago). A good monitor will come with the pricking device and a charger but you have to buy the measuring tabs separately. Good luck with your monitoring but dont get too obsessed as things can go up and down for no apparent reason. It is just a guide.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

Well, I’m thrilled someone has got back to me – whoohoo !
    Yes, I meant to say I live in the UK. Thanks for the info about the One Touch Verio IQ, I’ll check it out.

I’ll try not to get too obsessed, I promise.

Marie

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi marie123
    You should be able to request a monitor from your surgery which would also mean free lancets and free testing strips. Generally it’s not given willy nilly to people just on metformin, but on a case by case merit, it’s definitely worth asking. You could say that you want to how you’re doing in the initial stages of having diabetes. Depending on your local health board , you may get it or you may not. But strips are so expensive , I would say it’s at least worth a try. The recommended one currently is the Nexus. Hope that helps

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Dumptynomore

Thanks very much for getting back.

I did ask about getting a blood glucose monitor, etc. when I saw my GP and in fact said just what you suggested, but no, she said they don’t prescribe them, in fact she told me they don’t advocate self-monitoring for T2 diabetics. I’ve just googled the local Clinical Commissioning Group’s policy and that says the same. So, I’m going to buy my own meter, and, hopefully, if my blood sugar levels improve I’ll argue again for prescribed meter at my next visit. But, won’t be holding my breath.
    Cheers,
    Marie

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

No worries marie123 – was just a thought. You’d think the powers that be would be bending over backwards to stop Type 2 worsening and empowering the person with diabetes – but it seems not. Good luck on your journey.

Please log in or register to post a reply.