Before and after eating plan but not losing weight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gretchen
    on

Hi I have been on the diet for nearly three weeks before I started a typical day for me was

Breakfast – malted shreddies and a ground coffee

Elevenses – cappuccino and 1/2 piece flapjack

Lunch – salad from bar usually tuna mayonnaise plus variety of pasta salads

Afternoon – cappuccino and 1/2 piece rocky road rage flapjack

Home from work couple of digestives and cup of coffee

Whilst cooking dinner couple pieces of chocolate or biscuit

Dinner – pasta based or rice based dish, fruit yoghurt and piece chocolate. Glass orange juice

Height – 5ft 1 weight 10st waist measurement 32.5 inches

Now:

Breakfast – 100g plain yoghurt, sprinkling cinnamon and tablespoon flaked almonds
    No elevenses
    Lunch – salad with chicken or small spoon of cheese no pasta or rice based elements just leaves sometimes lunch skipped
    Afternoon small cappuccino
    No snacking at all after work and whilst cooking.
    Dinner – from the 800 menu in the book. Fizzy water to drink

Result: weight 9st 13 waist size no change.
    Carbs between 20-40g per day. Fat approx 45-50g
    After nearly three weeks – feeling baffled, fed up, hungry, miserable. Contemplating wine

• posted by Gretchen
    on

Family have continued to eat normally but have stopped drinking orange juice and are eating my low carb evening meal – all have lost weight from 4-7lbs

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Gretchen,i feel for you,that must be so discouraging! Specially seeing yr family losing and you dont x
    I am baffled too,i’m still quite a newbie on this way of eating and I cant see where you might be going wrong…but there are some knowledgeable people here and I’ m sure one will be along soon with useful advice for you.dont lose heart yet! Sending hugs! X

• posted by Gretchen
    on

Yes I’m baffled too and I am recording every thing not secretly snacking.

Before I didn’t exercise and now I’m doing 4 swimming sessions a week too plus I’m achieving the 10,000 steps every day too (easy with two dogs)

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

For flips sake! It doesnt make sense,does it?
    Only thing i can ask is,have you had yr thyroid checked? It may be underactive and if so,will have slowed yr metabolism right down. I had no idea i had one,came as a total surprise to me. Might be worth asking yr GP to do a blood test x

• posted by Gretchen
    on

Had a full blood count done recently, not sure if that’s in it. The results showed I’d got inflammation going on somewhere. They are wondering if I have fibromyalgia

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Gretchen,i have ME/ CFS which is very similar…i do hope you havent got fibromyalgia.
    I ‘ m sure keeping low carb will help us with inflammation x

• posted by 1942desperate
    on

Gretchen don’t give up this really does work.
    In my first 8 weeks I lost and regained weight and only ended up losing 1.5 kilos but I felt and looked so much better that after reading the forum decided that this was how I was going to eat for the rest of my life.
    So I persevered and now three weeks into my second 8 weeks I have lost 6.5 kilos and seeing the scales really moving downward so as the forum says stick with it and you will see results.

• posted by k.rae
    on

I’ve just finished my first week and I haven’t lost any weight either!
    But just going to persevere! It is very disheartening i must say but onwards and upwards!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi k.rae

Sorry you are disappointed.

Just to check, though

– are you keeping a record of everything you eat on an app like MyFitnessPal, and being rigorous about it? i.e. adding in the olive oil you cook in, making sure you know your portion control, weighing things? Very easy to slightly overdo things.
    – are you drinking loads and loads?
    – did you measure before you started, and if not do it now! Also have some target garments which are too tight now that you can measure against. Sometimes measurements change when weight doesn’t
    – are you keeping your carbs low – if you use MFP you can check the nutrition on what you’re eating. Lots of pulses and things like cabbage may be delicious and have good carbs, but they are carb heavy. If you can keep your carbs below 50g per day, this definitely helps with weight loss.

Hope that helps, and good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by k.rae
    on

Hi Igorasusual,

Thanks for your reply ๐Ÿ™‚
    Yes I’ve been tracking everything through myfitnesspal and weighing everything, so quite meticulous on that front.
    My carbs were very low the first few days but then i started doing some recipes out of the book and found they were really carb heavy after inputting the recipe on MFP, so maybe that’s why?
    I drink about 3 litres a day of pure water and then green teas, etc on top of that (but i have always drank lots of water).

I just thought going from a horrendous diet to clean eating, 800-900 cal a day i would see at least something on the scales. But i’ve been a serious yo-yo dieter in the past so i think that might also be a factor :/

How are you getting on with your journey?

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi k.rae

Difficult though it is, you mustn’t panic! Things often seem to start slow (how irritating to see others lose pounds and pounds, much as you wish them well) but they do accelerate.

What I did – and you can follow if you like, see what suits you –

I had 20 odd pounds to lose (10 stone 8 lbs to target 9 stone), not Type 2 and knew it would be difficult – had been trying to do this for some time.

I got on to My Fitness Pal, but also checked out this site
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

which gave me my resting metabolic rate (not many calories to maintain weight, eek!)
    and then entered in a low carb target (I selected 20g of carbs – many here do less than 50), selected their recommended protein and it gave me the fat percentages. I then entered these on MFP and started from there.

I’ve been choosy about what to spend my carbs/calories on (I like fruit but I prefer other things), have tried to drink more than is reasonable, and measured, measured, measured.

I achieved my 9 stone target, and now 12 weeks in I am just going for 8 stone 10 lbs to give myself wiggle room as I’ve increased my calories to 1000 per day, but sticking to 20g of carbs for the present. 16% of my body weight lost, all my 5 year old clothes fit, am totally transformed and still can’t believe it. It has seemed to happen very quickly, but of course was very slow whilst I was living through it. Often catch sight of myself in new mirror and am amazed all over again.

Everyone’s body is different, and therefore the results will be too – but if you are doing what you say you are, and you are rigorous about the carbs and drinking water then IT WILL HAPPEN. Try the measurements as an indicator. I was looking slimmer and clothes were looser ahead of the weight showing significant decreases, because the visceral fat goes (especially for me round the waist) and changes your shape completely

Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Gretchen
    on

By this week, week 4 I had managed to shift a pound. Taking my total loss to 3lbs. In the past I’ve lost this just by cutting out a cappuccino.

Last week after reducing carbs to 25g and swimming every day as well as keeping very low on the calories (I managed 800 every day bar one where I went to 1000.) by the Friday I had lost absolutely nothing and my waist measurement had actually increased by 1/2 inch.

This week has been stressful due to my dog being in for an op and I thought what’s the point. I’ve given up for now. I agree that rapid weight loss does keep,you motivated but I have found not losing weight whilst everyone around me was to have the reverse effect and have found the constant super critical, blame thing even more stressful. The constant questioning of myself and blaming myself for not losing weight on something everyone says you should be has made it worse than other diets I think.

I mentioned this to the girls at work. They did all lose lots of weight on the programme but non have stuck to it so I suppose it’s like any other diet fad.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I’m sorry things haven’t worked for you, Gretchen, you must be really fed up.

However I totally disagree that this forum is judgemental or critical – it’s really supportive and encouraging and many people say so.

It’s true your own conversation (that terrible inside voice) keeps telling yourself stuff – mine certainly does – but even if this doesn’t seem to work for you (and it is strange that reducing your calories and restricting carbs hasn’t had more effect) it has worked for many people, either slowly or quickly. I was slow at the start (got discouraged) but it eventually worked.

So the results for me demonstrate it’s not a fad, and the research also does. But no-one can predict individual results with very different bodily responses.

I am horrified to think anything said here would make you feel worse. All everyone wants is to see everyone succeed no matter how slow or difficult it might be.

Have you had a chance to look at more threads? There may be something which would help. Should you set your sights lower and give it more time? May be what your body needs specifically

If so, loads of people here to help. If not, best wishes to you for everything you do in the future.

• posted by Gretchen
    on

Hi no,no, everyone on here is lovely. I think it does work for most people but i can find no one out of a team of 200 who’ve stuck to it. So in that way I think it’s like any other diet rather than a revolution

• posted by k.rae
    on

Hi gretchen,

Thanks for sharing your side of the story. You definitely need to cut yourself some slack and try not to be so hard on yourself. Also really sorry to hear about your dog and hope he\she is okay!

I think with any diet though, this is meant to be your lifestyle, obviously with any diet if you start going back to your old ways and bad habits then the weight will pile back on. It’s took me a while to learn that it has to be a way of life not just the next 8 weeks, which is why yes I’m disheartened that I haven’t lost any weight but I’m going to stick at it because it’s healthy and it’s what I want to do rather than eat junk and feel sluggish.
    Hopefully you will find your motivation too and keep going!
    X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I believe the mistake would be to view this way of eating, as purely a weight lose diet rather than a lifestyle. Many of us are losing much slower than others, but what is being gained over and above the weight lose is certainly worth having – sleeping better, having more energy, etc.

The low carb plan has now become my accepted nutritional path and is just how I eat now. At present, I am still on the 800cals and losing, but I have had a ten week period when I didn’t count cals and transgressed occasionally on the carbs front too and only gained 2.8lb in that time. Getting back to the 800 and losing again (once again slowly) was easy.

However, I guess no eating plan is for everyone and we all have to find our own path. For me – as for many others – finding the BSD has been a revelation, for others it will be something else. Hopefully everyone who tries the BSD, will be inspired to look for their ideal nutritional path.

• posted by lissa1
    on

Thank you for sharing your experience with your before and after eating plan! It’s awesome to see your commitment to your health and well-being. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, our bodies might need a little more time to adjust and show progress on the scale.

Remember, progress is not just about the numbers on the scale but also about the positive changes you’re making in your lifestyle. Keep focusing on nourishing your body with good food choices, staying active, and maintaining a positive mindset. Results will come in due time, and when they do, they’ll be worth celebrating. Stay encouraged and keep up the fantastic work.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

reported even though they have tagged onto a thread that is 8 years old. She is advertising her own dieting site.

Please log in or register to post a reply.