Bacon?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Robmac
    on

Ironically my Doctor is called Dr Bacon, which is a bit cruel, but he has approved the diet for me!

I have been on the diet for a week or so now, and pretty much stuck to the recipes in the book and completely avoided Bread, Rice and all of the usual carbs.

The recipes are excellent, but I would like to look at alternatives. My wife suggested that as a breakfast, I could have 2 rashers of len bacon (grilled), a small poached egg, 2 small mushrooms, and 2 grilled Cherry Tomatoes and still come in within the 200 calories!

Would this be an acceptable part of the diet?

Or do you think she has maybe ‘upped’ my life insurance policy?

• posted by Sabrina77
    on

That is definitely acceptable Robmac. Have a look at the ‘ what have you eaten today’ thread for more ideas!

Good luck!

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

I think most of us who have been on the diet for more than a couple of weeks have branched out to make up our own meals. I see it as using the lower carbs and the 800 calories as a template, and fit my preferred meals within it. Your proposed breakfast sounds perfect for the diet, so I’d go with it if I were you.

• posted by Robmac
    on

Thank you.

There is a God!

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

They are a bit more expensive but I find the bacon medallions are the best. I find cutting the fat off bacon very tedious (because I want to eat it). If I cook the bacon with it on, and try cutting the cooked fat off, it is in my mouth before I can blink. So I find either the medallions, or a bacon or gammon steak is the way to go. Lidl is the cheapest I’ve found so far. You might also want to have a look at some of the all meat sausages. I find the Heck Chicken Italia are the lowest I have found so far. You need to look for high numbers on the protein bit of the nutritional info. When you are getting into the top 90s per 100g, you know it’s a possible. We add a poached egg. So today’s was a sausage, a medallion, a poached egg, 2 tinned tomatoes, some mushrooms and a bit of watercress as garnish. All cooked in 1 teaspoon of oil between 2 of us. Enjoy your fry up.

• posted by Robmac
    on

That sounds great VenusFT. I have been thinking about sausages (a lot actually!) and to know that it is doable is great.

I plan to look at this kind of breakfast maybe twice a week, although I have been enjoying the fruit/Greek yoghurt or just poached eggs in the morning.

Breakfast has always been a hit and miss kinda thing for me, a lot of the time in the past, I simply haven’t bothered with it sometimes, so this diet has also ensured that I do get a good start to the day.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I don’t bother about cutting fat off the bacon I buy. There’s not a lot on it anyway.

The sausages I buy are either Debbie & Andrew’s Harrogate sausages – 97% pork. Per sausage: 114 calories, <0.5g carbs, (<0.5g sugars) 3.7g fibre, 9.3g protein, 7.7g fat. Or Asda Extra Special Gluten Free Pork sausages 90% pork. Per sausage: 146 calories, Sorry, but not got label for other information per sausage. They’re slightly higher in carbs. I buy the Harrogate sausages when I can, the Asda are back-ups for when I can’t get the others. I shop in Asda or Tesco.

Neither of these have a negative impact on my weight loss or blood sugar readings.

• posted by Robmac
    on

Thank you Captainlynne.

I really don’t need to feel left out when the kids/grandkids come round for their weekly fry up on Sundays!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi again Robmac.

My grandkids were here for the last few weeks. When their parents came for them they always have brunch – bacon, egg, sausages, black pudding, baked beans and tinned tomatoes. I’d already had my breakfast – bacon, egg, and black pudding.

Sometimes I have breakfast in British Home Stores. A 4 item deal. Normally have 2 rashers of bacon, and black pudding. Depending on what I fancy that day the fourth item can be egg, baked beans.

No need to miss out on a great cooked breakfast. 😃

• posted by Robmac
    on

Thanks again!

Black Pudding as well. It gets better!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Glad to help Robmac. Just need to keep an eye on portion sizes!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh yes, Robmac, where would we be without our English breakfasts? even if they are scaled down!!! I often choose the English brekkie option if I’m eating lunch out with friends – it’s easier than doing what I was in the beginning…..now don’t laugh…….Can I have a ham sandwich without the bread, please? 🙂

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

It does seem a bit cruel though to mention bacon in the header. Could you perhaps rename the thread Kale or something and then continue the bacon chat?
    Another one on curry attracted my attention.
    Must have evening meal now.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

As captainlynne said, BHS breakfasts are wonderful and cheap! We’re on hols this week in Cornwall and I sat and watched hubby scoff a 10 item breakfast yesterday in Truro BHS. I’d already had my yog/strawbs so refrained! ! I’m surrounded by pasties, fish&chips and cream teas!! Tonight I had a poached cod fillet from chippy – delicious.

• posted by Robmac
    on

This is all so good to hear. And sorry about the title.

Leeanne, if I was in Cornwall, I’m afraid I would have to have a pastie AND fish and chips! I would cut down to 700 cals per day to make up for it and say 3 Hail Mary’s!

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi Robmac, it’s hell seeing all the temptations! Can’t give in though as I’m on day 3 of week 7. I was actually drooling at the pasty shop window yesterday. I think I must’ve looked like a nutter! ! I actually licked a blob of meat off hubby’s paper bag I was so desperate!!
    P.s. according to my calorie book a pasty is 497 cals!!!!

• posted by Robmac
    on

I know Leanne,

I dreamt of Steak Pie and Mash last night, and woke up feeling really bloated!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

He he Robmac the pain without the pleasure!

Please log in or register to post a reply.