Back to shift lockdown belly

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi. A while ago I did the diet and eventually got to my target weight. Most of it stayed off for a until lockdown – I know I’m not alone in having put on weight then! I’m not as heavy as I was, but I know that if I don’t take action, I will be.

I’ve managed to stop gaining more just by cutting out the carbs which I’d allowed to creep back into my diet, and reducing the amount of wine I was drinking. To get back to target weight I need to do more. I’ve just started increasing my exercise levels, which should help.

I’m no good at weighing and recording everything I eat. I lie to myself! (That’s why it took me a while to get to target weight before). I’m thinking of not eating until midday, having my breakfast then and a normal (low carb) dinner at my usual time. Do you think that will work if I stick to it? (I have done for two days now, and it’s not been too bad.) My husband is doing the diet with me, but will have a meal in the morning as he has less to lose – and doesn’t want to skip it!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi squidge, that plan sounds good. Having your partner onboard for your food choices and joining in will help as will two meals a day. Have you planned snacks? I like knowing that I can have something nice when the next meal is a few hours away.
    Just taking your normal meals without potatoes or bread will definitely have a good effect.

I’m very much in the same mind as you, however my partner loves his carbs and he has potatoes twice a day. His weight doesn’t increase but mine does if I eat with him.

I don’t eat between 6pm and 9am and I have checked my bsl which is in healthy range. I will stop eating potatoes and sweets from today. Onwards and downward!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, Patricia.

I’ve just bought some strawberries to snack on – but only between my two meals, so I still fast for about 16 hours. (I read on here somewhere that this is a good idea.) I also have nuts and peanut butter, but will try to resist those (except if used in meals) until back to my target weight.

One of my problems is that I tend to serve myself the same size portion as my husband, and I don’t need so much. He will be having some carbs, but he’s agreed to either have things I’m not keen on, or eat them when I don’t see! He’s mostly following the diet properly, but only needs to lose a few pounds and his bsl is fine, so that should work out OK.

Good luck with cutting out the sweets and potatoes. We’ve ‘discovered’ butter beans and chick peas and often have them instead of potatoes. They’re even more filling, and we really like them. Worth a try if you haven’t already.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I love hummus, and it’s a good meal in itself. It wouldn’t suit my partner though as he was set in his ways back in 70s!

I think we can rely on gentle adjustments to our usual diet. It’s the permanent changes that are helpful, and low carb (50g per day) wasn’t permanent for me. It did bring me down from prediabetic levels of bsl and 12kg lighter, but I have read that trying to go low carb a second time doesn’t bring the fast results as before. Our bodies are sensitive to weight reduction, and compensate accordingly with reduced energy and fatigue.
    My snacks are nuts and high fat greek yogurt. Strawberries and cream for dessert. Smaller portions and no potatoes will have an impact.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I keep meaning to try making hummus (I don’t like sesame, and that’s usually in bought ones). Thanks for the reminder – that’s tomorrow’s lunch sorted!

Would your husband eat it if you called it a dip? I’ve found that finding the right name can make things taste better! Eg my husband doesn’t eat salad, but loves coleslaw, a ploughman’s, a summer platter, etc

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Yes that’s how I test new food for two of us. I don’t tell him what’s in it and if he doesn’t like it, we don’t have it again. No stress with food, we both like plenty of fresh greens and grilled meat and fish.
    He doesn’t like hummus unfortunately, but does eat baked beans.
    Our local swimming pool will reopen in September so I’m definitely going to swim then. Meanwhile my exercise cycle reminds me of my broken resolutions!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Be careful with hummus as chickpeas are very high in carbs – 61g per 100g – and 360 calories per 100g so should be used sparingly and not very often. Same applies to lentil. A really great dip can be made from roasted aubergine at only 6g of carbs and only 25 calories per 100g. Look up baba ganoush.
    Another favourite of mine is to use aubergine slices in place of pasta sheets in lasagne but I always partially cook the aubergine so it will be fully cooked in the recipe. Place slices on a baking tray, give a light spray of oil and place in oven, cut some of the aubergine into circles. When the slices are partially cooked take them out and put the rings back into the over while it is cooling down. He presto you have crisps.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, Sunshine Girl.

I’ll try not to overdo the chickpeas! Unfortunately we don’t like aubergines (or courgette or cauliflower), but there are other things I can experiment with.

• posted by Squidge
    on

How are you getting on, Patricia?

I’ve lost 2 lb, which is a move in the right direction!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi squidge, Well done for the loss.
    I have been staying same weight because even though I have dropped potatoes and sugar, I have overeaten nuts and hummus etc.
    Also zero exercise.
    I was watching the MM tv show and saw how he measured the waist. Well when I do it like that I have to add 10cm to my waist- not a good discovery.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Oh dear! Know what you mean, as I was kidding myself that the measurement I got from breathing in and pulling the tape measure as tight as possible was accurate. Really it’s several inches bigger than I thought (although now a little smaller than it was a couple of weeks ago.) No wonder some of my clothes aren’t fitting as well as I’d like!
    Cutting out some of the white carbs is great – next step is to try and avoid replacing them with too much else!
    I’ve been exercising a bit more and I do feel better for it, even though I don’t think the amount I’m doing will have much impact on my weight, it must help a little bit.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I had yoghurt and berries for breakfast and I didn’t make bread so no temptation this morning. I have a huge cauliflower so that’s going to help avoid hunger.

Last year I was strict with food, scared of diabetes, but my sugar levels are good now so it’s harder to be disciplined. I have read that high carb foods are addictive to some people, that there is a physiological response far greater than others have.

I have three catering size bags of flour on my counter waiting for the sourdough or granary bread that I make; if I make bread I’m kidding myself I wouldn’t eat it.

I’m going to take an uphill walk a few days a week- we really enjoyed the steep climb in our local park yesterday and I felt the burn.

Please log in or register to post a reply.