Back to pre-diabetic range – no clue why????

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nordic walker
    on

Hi – My first post on here but I am so gobsmacked. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic autumn 2016 ( my reading was 45) and my doctor wanted me to take metformin and statins because of my family history – I was on tablets for high blood pressure and had nasty bad cholesterol levels ( despite not being overweight – apparently I am a TOFI) ! I really did not want to go that route and read about this diet and got the book. I checked in with my doctor and he said he would monitor me. January 2017 my blood sugar was classed normal at 38/ cholesterol much better with good ldl reading and tri. Also during the diet my blood pressure went down and I was reduced to one bp tablet. Great ! diabetic nurse at health centre sent me away into the sunset. 18 months later (now) I had an eye test and optician asked if I was diabetic which struck an alarm bell with me. I got a blood test and my blood sugar reading is 43! How so – I have weighed myself every month and my weight is at lower end at range and consistent / BMI is 22 and consistent and blood pressure well controlled. I have kept to the diet so religiously I bore everyone around me! The nurse said maybe it is the way it is – but I lowered it before so am I eating anything that is spiking it. I want to monitor my blood sugar with a meter to see if and when it spikes so I can see if it is a certain food – the only foods I have introduced over the last year are quinoa (which I love) and Kallo lentil cakes – have maybe 2 a week. Nurse says no don’t do that – but do I have to just accept it or has anyone else any ideas/ suggestions / experience. Regards, Linda

• posted by Squidge
    on

How frustrating for you!

I know very little about diabetes, but to me it seems like a good plan to test if there’s one particular food causing this. If there is, that would be very easy to put right.

Is it possible you’re actually a late onset type 1 diabetic? As I understand it, type 1 can’t be controlled with diet in they way type 2 can.

on

Thanks – I have not considered type 1 – I will do some research. I am going to get a test meter etc. just to use for a month so I can get a guide as to how what I am eating is affecting my blood. I want to at least try to lower it.

• posted by Peterell
    on

Hi Linda
    I seem to have experienced a similar shock to you as I lost 2.5 stone on the BSD over 2 years ago and have kept the weight off and maintained BS levels at the lower end of pre-diabetic and I thought I had cracked it.
    However, after a holiday in October 18 I came back having put on 4lbs which was not too bad but the BS close to diabetic. Once back I resumed my pre holiday lifestyle and actually achieved a new low weight but the BS levels remain close to diabetic?
    This is the first holiday I have not been able to achieve low BS levels within days of being home and I now wonder if I am now more intolerant of sugar and will require Metformin to resolve but I will give it some more time before taking that route.
    What a disappointment after so long of enjoying seeing daily weight and BS readings that proved I was on track!
    Good luck with your challenge
    Peter

on

Thanks Peter. I got a blood sugar monitor and was surprised at how just a tiny portion of potatoes got my blood sugar spiking. Have been on holiday recently and relaxed my eating plan so need to hotfoot it to surgery to have a weigh in and get my cholesterol tested.
    Regards, Linda

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Linda, the truth of it is you have to stick with this plan. What made you pre- or full diabetic will do exactly the same. I know I can have the brown’s ie pasta, rice and other things like quinoa but I also know that they spike my BG although not as much as the white stuff. Keep GOOD starchy carbs to a once a week treat. No more.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Peter
    I wonder if your carb intake has crept up a little bit? What do you think? That would explain why, even though your weight is great – fantastic going – your blood sugar levels are staying up. Or may be your portion sizes are creeping up – they affect my blood sugar readings. Or have you introduced (or re-introduced) some foodstuff or drink that’s consistently affecting your bgls. Or maybe you ate slightly more carby/sugary things on this holiday than previous ones so it’s going to take longer to get rid of it/reduce your insulin levels again. That’s all I can think of I’m afraid.

Hope things get sorted. Do let us know how you do. I’ll be really interested to hear how you get on.

Jennie

on

I do now eat quinoa a good few times a week – it’s an easy food to serve with meals and fills you up. And lentil cakes seem to have crept in on a regular basis..So I need to revisit my original meal plans and get back to living with no carbs. Thanks x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Nordic, in response to an earlier answer. I am doing a course of Demystifying Diabetes with the FutureLearn group online. The first thing they say is ‘the only relationship between type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes is the word diabetes’. They are totally different illnesses with different causes and present with different symptoms and reactions to diet, medication etc. If you are over 25 the likelihood of you having type 1 is almost impossible.

You might want to join the course, it only started yesterday so you would be up to date with the study. It takes about 30 mins a day and I think this introduction to diabetes is about 2 weeks long. There is no exam, no-one testing you or questioning you but it might give you a better insight to the condition as a whole. Although, I have already done this course before and was not too happy with some of the outdated nutrition advice, you can ignore that and still learn a lot. Just log onto http://www.FutureLearn.com and you can search for this course.

• posted by Horne1967
    on

At the moment, I don’t have problems with my blood sugar but my father struggles a lot with this problem and for some years, already. I also use to make him lentil soup as it is very healthy, and good. In case you have more food ideas what is good and what is not, just write it down. Thank you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.