Avocado ideas

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

I’ve been reading a lot of posts lately that advise eating avocado. I’ve never tried it before except the guacamole dip…..but obviously need Doritos for that lol.
    I’m not into fancy recipes so was looking for simple ideas of how to include avocado in my meal plan……or do you just eat it on its own? Sorry for my ignorance here but any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Scottish girl I bash it with some feta, lime juice and chilli flakes and salt and pepper, then wrap it in little gem leaves and eat it. Yummy 😋. I also have it for breakfast with poached egg and bacon. I find it quite versatile💞🦜

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

I have it for breakfast too, on top of dark rye bread from Lidl, and with some bacon and eggs. I prefer weighing it for tracking, as I hope/think that is more reliable! Definitely have some salt with it though, as it really brings out the flavour. Also, home-made guac used to be one of my favourite fajita components, lime juice, red onion, fresh tomatoes. salt, pepper and tabasco (with apologies to the Californians on here who probably have much better recipes!).

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Avis I love guacamole especially homemade. 😋😋

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Coarse mash with lime juice, salt and garlic. Mix it into scrambled eggs when they’re a minute from being done. Top with a dash of hot sauce.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I like avocado in so many ways. Just a few of the ways I use it: In an omlette with some cheese or just some black pepper, diced in a spinach salad, half of a small one eaten with a spoon as a snack, and I’ve started recently making riceless California rolls. Those are really quite a quick meal and much less fussy than trying to make sushi with rice.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Scottishgal, when you eat guacamole, pile it on green peppers cut into spears. It’s crunchy with a sharp flavour that goes with hummus as well.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Thank you all for your ideas. I will buy an avocado when I next go shopping. Not sure about having it with raw peppers though. I’m not a lover of peppers but can take a little if cooked.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hello Scottishgal!
    My no 1 is eating a unpeeled half, mix wasabi (paste or dry) with some soya and pour over.
    You can also try the same in a salladleaf for a wrap.
    When I have (home made) mayonnaise at home I mix in the soya and put on avocado. Very good to keep up the fatintake.
    Try it! Did you like it?

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Well, I finally bought my very first avocado tonight. And to be honest it would have been cheaper buying a bar of chocolate lol.
    Anyway, I got home and wondered what to do with it. I halved it and then thought what next? So I spooned out one half and ate it on its own. Was totally different to what I had expected both in texture and taste. The other half is in the fridge and I honestly don’t know what to do with it. How long will it last before going off? I’m having a chicken salad for lunch tomorrow. Should I somehow dice it and add it to that? Or someone mentioned mixing it with mayonnaise but then what….? Sorry but I must sound really stupid. It’s just not a food that I’ve ever been tempted to buy. Wondering if it’s worth persevering with it or just forgetting it. Everyone else seems to eat alot of it so thought I’d at least give it a try lol…….nothing ventured, nothing gained!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Scottishgal, did you like the avocado? That’s the important thing! You say it was not what you expected in texture or taste: in a good or bad way? I think a lot of us love it because it goes with seafood, fish, eggs, meat or fowl or just on its own, sliced,mashed or diced! In the fridge it will keep for two-three days but may go brown on the cut side (try some cling film); just cut a thin sliver off from the cut side and it will be a nice fresh green. It’s not an obligatory component but for many a very tasty healthy fat addition, you may prefer something else!

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Thanks 6T, I actually thought it was quite bland. I like it as guacamole dip but with Doritos so that’s a no goer!
    Thinking I might dice it and add to salad tomorrow. I was looking for some fat based food that would fill me up and stop me from snacking. Something that is quick and easy and doesn’t involve cooking.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Why not a guacamole dip (ie mashed up with chilli/olive oil/lemon juice) on some nice crispy little gem leaves? Or red pepper? But diced in your salad would be equally nice (for me!). Olive oil and freshly ground black pepper will elevate the taste!

• posted by avolover
    on

My fav is a course mash with salt, cayenne pepper and lemon or lime. i love avos in ANY salad, try with prawn and mango added to leaves. I have eaten avos all my life. I love them, my kids love them, its a babys first food here along with banana and i think the rest of australia shares that love, they are hugely popular. i must admit to hating them warmed, Aussies put them into smoothies too.

• posted by swoosh
    on

For a quick meal, I put them in my smoothies when I need to add fat. I am not doing low carb so I add various fruits in with this, but I don’t go over 1 serving of fruit in my smoothies.

Generally the recipe is:
    1/2 avocodo
    1 scoop collagen peptides
    1 peach (or whatever is in season)
    1 cup Trader Joe’s unsweetened almond cashew & macadamia nut beverage
    1 cup greens of your choice (spinach, kale, watercress, or whatever)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Monk fruit/lo han to taste

Options:
    cocoa powder with banana or cherries
    nut butter with banana
    possibilities are endless

Please log in or register to post a reply.