Are calorie counts in the BSD recipe book reliable?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Choirboy_Paul
    on

I’ve just started on the diet and bought the recipe book. Tonight I cooked a tasty “Roasted Red Pepper with anchovies” (page 80 for anyone with the book) which contains mushrooms and pine nuts (this is different to the recipe of the same title on this website). The book says this recipe comes in at 120 calories. However, I’m keeping a track of my food in the FatSecret app, and this exact recipe clocks up 284 calories! Up until now, the BSD book and FatSecret have a similar calorie count, but this is concerning as I’m tempted to believe FatSecret more as the recipe contains pine nuts and olive oil.

Does anyone have any experience of calories not being consistent with calorie counting outside of the BSD book? Thanks!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Paul and welcome. I personally have never use the recipes in the books, preferring to design my own meals and menus, calculating the calories and carbs as I go. However, my understanding from previous posts on the subject, is that the calories quoted in the books are not reliable. If you do a search using the box at the top right of the page, you will find discussions on this problem. I believe that most people choose to believe the values calculated elsewhere, rather than relying on those in the books.

The forum is an excellent resource and full of knowledge, experience and support, so feel free to dip into any thread that speaks to you, you’ll be sure of a warm welcome. There is a monthly and weekly thread, for those looking to break their challenge down in to more manageable chunks and to share experience, as well as give and receive encouragement and advice. Both are frequented by people at various stages in their BSD life, so there is a wealth of knowledge to be drawn upon.

Hope to see you out and about on the forum and best wishes for achieving your goals. Hope to be reading of your progress soon.

• posted by freester
    on

The BSD support group on Facebook agrees that the recipes from the recipe book are out and recommend if you’re not calculating your own to stick with the recipes from the BSD book itself.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have seen over the years lots of people talking about the calorie counts being out in both the BSD and recipe books. The simple thing to do is use one of the mobile phone apps, I use fatsecret and enter all the ingredients of each meal. (I don”t follow the recipes in either book as I am a vegi). You not only will then have the cals but will also have the stats on carbs, protein and fat, so down the line you will be able to notice patterns related to fine tuning this WoE for you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.