Apple Cider Vinegar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LACali21
    on

A co-worker suggested taking 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar before each meal to enhance weight loss. Has anyone heard of this or tried this?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have heard of this, supposed to get the juices flowing. Don’t know if it does anything but it can’t hurt. The French swear by it. There is a place near us that makes wine vinegars in different flavours and I use blackberry vinegar to make a red sauce for duck, but my favourite for spraying on a salad in pineapple vinegar. How does your colleague look, is it doing them any good.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi LACali21 and sunshine-girl,
    I’ve been doing some reading lately. It’s all related to low carb eating style. Dr Jason Fung writes about vinegar and fibre being ‘protective factors’.
    With that in mind I’ve been using Apple Cider Vinegar and olive oil as a salad dressing.
    Others do take apple cider vinegar with water.

• posted by LACali21
    on

Sunshine-girl my co-worker is not super skinny, but she’s definitely smaller than me. Like me, she’s into naturopath stuff, and I have read info previously that it was a good weight loss supplement.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I drink at least one 16 oz glass of water with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it every day. I’ll have one right after working for its electrolytic benefits. (Cider vinegar is high in potassium; in fact, there is literally nothing else in it, according to the nutrional information. Straight zeros down the table except for the 11 mg of potassium.) I’ll usually have another about half an hour before dinner.

There are a lot of health claims out there regarding apple cider vinegar, most with little or no science to back them up. There is scientific support for one claim that is relevant to our interests: drinking vinegar at meal times has been shown to reduce fasting blood glucose levels in people at risk for type 2 diabetes. Read the study here: http://bragg.com/products/PDFs/JournalOfFunctionalFoods.pdf .

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That was an interesting read Frog, thanks for the link. Cider vinegar is something I have used in the past and might think about doing so again.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I have heard of the benefits for blood sugars levels too, haven’t tried it yet. The word is that it is best to get cloudy apple cider vinegar with a “mother” in it, not the processed stuff.

What I have used it for is a wart. For months I could barely walk with a big painful wart under my foot. I tried every product at the chemist and had my doctor freeze it four times. No result. I gave up for a while. Then read about apple cider vinegar online. I was very sceptical but decided to try (doesn’t this sound like an ad!) in one day, part of the wart came off. About two weeks later, all gone! This is after something like five months of pain and treatment. It was only a couple of weeks ago so I’m still so happy and grateful and willing to believe anything in favour of Apple cider vinegar!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Thank you for the link to the BBC program’s study, Frog. It’s fascinating that ACV had such a marked effect on blood sugar levels in the short term but not in the long term. They also properly note that overly strong acetic acid, like any acid, can be harmful to the lining of the esophagus. It can damage tooth enamel as well, which is why I always drink my solution with a straw to ensure my chompers aren’t awash in carboxylic acid.

Natalie, that is an amazing story. I had heard that some people found ACV helped reduce their acne, but never that it beat a persistent wart into submission. Congratulations on your liberation from such horrible pain! Foot pain is agony. I had a corn on a toe once and that was torture enough, thank you very much.

Please log in or register to post a reply.