Anyone out there with PMR who's starting/just started BSD?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MaryWR
    on

I’ve had PMR for a couple of years and now the prednisolone together with the weight have caught up with me and my blood sugar is high. I’ve had a fantastic first week but would love to buddy up with someone who has a similar range of issues.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi Mary
    I was diagnosed with PMR in January 2015, put on two stone, ESR up and down and initially hard to control with Prednisolone.
    I started BSD last October and lost, very slowly, nearly two stone – had lost a little more but have just had an all inclusive holiday in Cape Verde! I was prediabetic last January but my HbA1c is back to normal this month.
    I have just returned from my GP and today my ESR is 10 and I am taking just one mg steroid! I hope next time to stop this awful drug.
    I am convinced that this WOE has helped me rid (I hope) the PMR and I now feel healthy and free of the symptoms.
    I hope you find this useful and good luck with your BSDing.
    X B

• posted by MaryWR
    on

Hello B
    Thanks for your response. It sounds as though you have done very well in reducing your preds. It’s interesting to see that you think the BSD has helped with this. Two stone is a not unimpressive weight loss – I hope I lose as much as quickly! Good luck with your total remission from PMR and with your weight.

• posted by Kimbo_hsn
    on

Hi, not sure what PMR is. Sorry for my ignorance. I was on Prednisone half of last year for health reasons and my weight and sugar levels went up. My first day today and I have stuck to it,even with work colleagues having donuts and chocolate. Talk about a test. My book arrives soon hopefulk so I can stuck in properly.
    PS – I am in New Zealand.

• posted by MaryWR
    on

Hello. Thanks for replying. PMR is polymyalgia rheumatica, an autoimmune disease. However, it doesn’t really matter what the ailment is – it’s the steroids that do this damage. Good luck with following the Blood Sugar Diet – when you see your colleagues eating donuts and chocolate you can sit on the moral high ground and think of all the harm it’s doing them! I am in my second week and lost 9 lb in my first week (!!) so be encouraged. I am retired so have plenty of time to build in the exercise so, depending on your job, this might be a challenge for you. I recommend the recipe book – I have more or less been following the 8 week plan in there. The food is good ad the variety keeps the diet interesting. Let me know how you get on.
    Mary
    Ps I am in the U.K.

• posted by Kimbo_hsn
    on

Thanks. I was on the steroids for Ulcerative Colitis which is also an auto immune disease. I have to admit after a year of hell last year, I am finally in a good space to do this. I have a 6yr old boy and a 4yr girl, so this should be interesting. Hopefully good for us all as a family. So glad there is this forum for support.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi Mary and well done on your 9lb weight loss.
    Onwards and downwards!
    X B

Please log in or register to post a reply.