Anticipated post diet weight gain

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TobyG
    on

Interested in experiences of people coming off the 800 cal diet and readjusting from low to to a moderate carb intake.
    I understand we have between 300g and 900g of sugar (glycogen) stored in our liver and muscle mass. And it takes 3 to 4g of water to hold each g of sugar in place. I guess this is why there is such a rapid weight loss in the first few days – sugar depletion plus 900g to 3.6kg of water.
    Obviously the body will start storing again once carbs are available so I would anticipate a weight gain of at least 1.2kg as the body replenishes carb stores to some degree. More like 2kg or more for someone of my size. The liver alone can store 300g of glycogen. But I’m guessing here – interested in people’s actual experience. As this will impact on my final diet weight target. I want my post diet fasting (first thing in morning) weight to be around 78 to 80kg. So if I’m going to gain 2kg I need to target 76kg as a final weight to accommodate that gain.
    Anyway – interested to hear of people’s post 800 cal diet experiences.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Why would you want to plan to return to building up sugar stores?

The advantage of eating low carb is to redevelop insulin sensitivity so you can fuel your body from your body fat. So your body can easily switch from using the carbs in a meal first and then move over to using any body fat for fuel when needed. No need to build up sugar stores.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Totally agree with JGwen, especially as you are T2 diabetic. You would be heading straight back to putting strain on your pancreas and liver. Without all the technical/medical stuff I guess you just want to get to an idea weight and start eating ‘normal’ again. Sorry to say that is not a good idea. You will always have to be careful around carbs, though not calories. Have you yet reached close to your 78kgs or are you just planning for the future. If you get to 76kg to give yourself a 2kg leeway for any gains then fair enough. Just dont think you can eat carbs like before or the diabetes will return (if you ever got rid of it). The diabetes is the most important thing here and keeping you weight under control and your carbs down will go a long way to achieving that. You might never be able to eat what you did before but you can have the occasional diet relaxing day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.