Anaemia

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Not sure which area to post it on, but anyway, has anyone found they are vitamin/mineral/iron deficient through drinking so much and flushing it out on this diet?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have had a full set of bloods done since I started and nothing but good news. You are advised to take a multi vit so that should cover all bases but the diet is rich in nutrients anyway. The things you mention do not get flushed out in your wee so it would not have any effect. But don’t quote me.

We did have a member who became deficient in B12 but it turned out that he was a vegetarian and in order to lose more weight had cut out most of his proteins. Vegetarians are known to lack B12 if they do not replace meat with something like eggs, cheese, milk, chickpeas etc.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Yes ok, thanks. I have a poor digestive system and do not absorb a lot of the nutrients. I am also wondering if my increased calcium intake has affected it. I can’t have much fruit as it causes problems, so that’s less Vitamin C for a start….

on

Just google vit C and you will find it is in lots of other foods besides fruit. Vit C is one that needs to be flushed out and replaced daily, if you are worried take a supplement but keep within the recommended dose, more is not better.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Thanks Sunshine girl I will have a look. Just that I think I heard Vit C is important to help iron absorption.

on

All vitamins play an important role and most need replacing daily, what I am saying is that this diet is not going to deplete essential vits or minerals just because you are drinking lots of water. Even if you are not on this diet it is recommended that people drink 8 large glasses of water per day, i.e. around 2 litres, so it is not specific to this diet. If you are worried take a multivit which should be sufficient to make sure you are okay. UNLESS you are a vegetarian who tend to suffer from B12 deficiency through not eating enough protein which causes pernicious anemia. In which case you need added B12. The one thing you should not take extra of is Iron unless advised by a doctor. A normal person has sufficient in their diet and too much can be toxic.

Hope that helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.