Am I or Aren't I?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AmandaJ
    on

Hi All
    I have just joined the BSD site and need some advice! I was ‘diagnosed’ with Type 1 diabetes back in December 2014 and whacked on Insulin before I could say ‘blood sugar’! I have now just been to see the consultant this week to be told he is not sure if I am Type 1 or Type 2 and has stuck me on Metformin (one tablet a day). I had a really rough time medically in 2014, and huge amounts of stress and trauma. My doctor has put my diabetes diagnosis down to everything I was going through at the time.
    So my question is do I start the 800 calorie diet for 8 weeks or not?
    I am 5′ 7″, 79kgs with a BMI of 27 – so not obese by any stretch….. but confused about whether I should think about the 800?
    Would love to hear any views/advice on this!

Many thanks

• posted by FoFi
    on

The advice on the website is very clear that this diet is NOT suitable for Type 1 diabetics. See the FAQ above. Until this is resolved it would not seem sensible.

• posted by AmandaJ
    on

Use CAUTION doing a low calorie / fasting diet & DISCUSS WITH DOCTOR if any of the following apply:
    ◦On insulin – detailed assessment & education by health professional to plan a suitable reduction in medication/insulin to avoid a drop in blood sugar.
    ◦Type 1 diabetics

Thanks for your reply – it actually says use caution.

I was hoping for advice from anyone who may be in the same situation? Possibly unlikely but you never know!

AmandaJ

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi AmandaJ,
    If you are still on insulin as well as metformin you should see your GP or diabetes nurse about a regime to reduce insulin as your blood sugars come down. You are wise to seek advice before starting as there seems to be some uncertainty about which type of diabetes you have.
    In the book there is a link to info for health professionals. It might be an idea to print this off and take it with you to your appointment.
    There are many instances on here of type 2 diabetics being able to come off insulin after a few weeks on the BSD. I only recall one type 1 diabetic considering doing the BSD but I don’t remember them posting anything further.
    Good luck with this, keep in touch as your experience may help someone else facing a similar dilemma. 🙂

• posted by AmandaJ
    on

Hi Cherrianne

Many thanks for the reply. It is interesting to hear others’ views. I am gradually introducing the diet into my day…… before I was diagnosed I was an avid 5:2 follower. I have not taken any insulin during the day for a number of weeks now and take the metformin when I eat my main meal. The only insulin I take regularly is the long acting at bedtime.
    I figure if I don’t eat and don’t give myself any insulin and my levels are under 10 then I should be doing ok!
    Watch this space, maybe the wrong diagnosis for me is what I need to get myself back on track!
    TBH I am finding it difficult to sustain as I don’t seem to be losing any weight/inches at the moment – I just need to remember my fasting BS at 35 when I was diagnosed!
    Will keep posting as it helps me continue to get healthier!

Please log in or register to post a reply.