Age 86 – Borderline Type 2 – No weight loss needed – Guidance "BDS Way of Life"

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MichaelE
    on

My Mother in law is 86, does not need to lose weight, is exercising well, but has just been declared borderline Type 2 Diabetic – Actually just a tad the wrong side of it. She is really good at monitoring her eating, but probably is eating too many sugary snack(?). Either way what she is looking for is a BDS Way of Life book – not a fast diet book – where she can read an authoritative approach to tackling Type 2 diabetes in older life. Including the theory etc, AND a full recipe book to follow.

It appears that what you have on offer here (Theory & Recipe Book) is not for those wishing to follow the BDS Way of Life, but rather for those wishing to get to the point where they can follow the BDS Way of life. What I believe she needs is a guide to living the BDS Way (Theory and Recipes). What I don’t want to do is to confuse her with literature that makes her think she needs to lose weight, in order to take her back to her previous ‘right side’ of borderline Type 2 Diabetes. That would not be good for her.

I am sure all of this is available from the books here, but is there a way of just pulling out what she needs – older people with the best will in the world can get confused, and we want to make this as simple for her as possible. Has anyone done this? Can anyone help. I think we are talking re-purposing the existing information here? Please advise!

Many thanks for your help – Michael

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I would be tempted to keep it really, really simple, with starting by just cutting out the white stuff at first, sugar, including added sugars in meals, limiting fructose, no more than one higher carb fruit per day, and substitute berries which are much lower sugar, and no white (or brown? often contains white flour and more sugar) bread, white rice, pasta or potatoes. See if there is any effect on the blood sugars just doing that. Warn her that she may have some ‘carb flu’ symptoms at first, and don’t limit other vegetables etc. unless she becomes aware that they spike blood sugar, since she doesn’t need to lose weight. Does she normally cook for herself or eat ready meals etc?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

As you’re looking for something that is very specific to your MiL’s situation, capability and priorities, I’m not sure what you’re after is ever going to be available “ready-made”.

My only suggestion would be for you to go through the books and draw out the principles and theory. Then use the recipes in the books as suggested options. Clearly the books and recipes are aimed at people trying to address Blood Sugar issues through dietary control and, usually, weight loss, and then using what they have learnt about managing weight and blood sugar to develop a “way of life” that works for the individual.

It may be a bit of work for you, but could be useful for people broadly in the same position as your MiL.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Think Mixnmatch is probably right about advising her on how to cut down on the bad carbs and as she doesn’t need to lose weight, there is no need for her to count calories. In fact, a she will be avoiding high carb foods and many find that even doing that they lose weight, it might be advisable for her to increase her general calorie intake – adding in extra good fats is a good way of doing that.

Hope you find a solution to this issue – good luck.

• posted by Jande9
    on

This is the BSD way of life in a nutshell. It is the Mediterranean diet minus sugar, wheat, pasta, rice, potatoes. You get your calories from protein and fats, including lots of olive oil. Calories from carbs will elevate your blood sugar while calories from fats and proteins won’t, so you try and reduce your carbs, especially empty carbs like sugar.

No sugar or sweet deserts. No bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. No breakfast cereals.

You can eat eggs, whole grains, pulses, full fat cheese and yogurt, meat, oily fish, poultry, and lots of veggies. Fill your plate with veggies.

Use olive oil liberally and don’t be afraid of animal fats, which are OK in moderation.

Berries, apples, pears and nuts are good but avoid all tropical fruits as they contain lots of sugar.

Average 1 drink a day or less.

I am no expert but this is my take on the BSD. I suggest you get the book for lots more information.

I got the book from the library and I found it so useful I bought a Kindle version so I could keep it as a reference.

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

That is a very good summary Jande9. I have a similar situation with my mother who is 84, diagnosed borderline type 2. She has been impressed with the weight I have lost on BSD, but now thinks its not for her because she doesn’t need to lose weight.

I have tried to talk to her about low carbs, but she is rather set in her ways as to what she eats. Although saying that she did make herself a chicken stir-fry for the first time the other day, so perhaps I’m doing her an injustice!

I will be spending some time with her over the weekend so will have another go.

• posted by MichaelE
    on

IS ANYONE UP FOR TAKING THIS OPPORTUNITY?

Thank you all for your contributions above and especially Jande9. I am sure my Mother-in-law can handle your instructions easily, and I will try and get myself better informed!

The number of older people now being diagnosed with Type 2 or Borderline Type 2 Diabetes is, according to our GP, escalating alarmingly. And of course the GPs have pills to hand, which have then to be taken for ‘life’ – and they have side effects which can cause a significant fall in ‘quality of life’.

It appears that this is a growing ‘market’, and that re-purposing the already existing information in the BSD Lexicon would fill a huge and growing need in our older population. Here is an ‘OPPORTUNITY’ perhaps for someone in this community to provide a real service to many who find themselves in my Mother-in-law’s position. Our GP had no idea that this could be treated easily with a more healthy and well thought through Cookery Book and Diet targeted specifically to this marketplace – and more specifically, that patients in this category do NOT have to be given yet more pills!

So there are two market places: Our GPs and those growing number of older people being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. And it looks as if Dr Mosley is up for collaborating with others on a hybred publication to address the issues. If you are up for taking this opportunity, why not contact him with a proposal?

Please do continue to add to this topic. This is a great platform to spread relevant and timely information.

Many thanks – Michael

Please log in or register to post a reply.