After a Heath attack and Takotsubo Syndrome

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HeAlThYMe2
    on

Hi
    I have been once before but never go started!
    I am a 64 yr old woman. I am average height and weigh 58kg, so not overweight, but have gained a kg since being on medication. I am moderately fit – no runner, but do yoga, taichi, walk and do weights twice a week and HIIT as per Michael’s book Fast Fitness.
    I had a heart attack a month ago – bit complicated. I had a muscle bridge over a heart artery and there was a clot there, so had a stent put in. The next day they did an ultrasound thing and decided I had Takotsubo Syndrome (Broken Heart Syndrome) which mimics a heart attack. Cholesterol and Triglycerites all fine and other arteries all clear, but I am on medications to thin blood, beta blockers to help the heart heal etc etc. I am feeling really fine, altho still a bit breathless at times. I have two other questions: is this diet a good one to start given the situation at present? I don’t want to lose weight, but am mildly addicted to carbs and need to get that under control!! I know it would be a good way to start a sugar free lifestyle. Or should I just wait and speak to my cardiologist when I see her next week??

Second question is regarding KAMBUCHA. I make my own and was wondering if other people use it?? I know there is some sugar in it and the longer it ferments the less there is,,,,,but after too long, it’s not drinkable to me!
    Michael mentions it in CLever Guts, but not in detail.
    Sorry this is a double question and long winded. Any advice appreciated.
    Nuala

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

First of all welcome to the site. You seem to have the exercise in hand and know what you are doing with your cardiologists help and approval. Besides that, the diet is simple and healthy. The only thing you are cutting out are white starchy carbs which can only be a good thing. We are talking about bread and breakfast cereals, most rice and pasta but more important, processed and baked foods which we all know are unhealthy. As you dont have to lose weight and dont say you are diabetic, you dont have to worry so much about the calories and could even include the ‘healthy’ dense carbs like quinoa, brown pasta or rice (which I have had to give up completely to control T2). Speak to your doctor but all you have to tell him is you are going on a healthy eating plan, there is nothing bizarre about this diet although people do say we will die on 800 cals and low carb. I am still here after 2 years, not dead yet and I have seriously improved my BP, cholesterol and triglycerides.

With regard to your second question, I have no idea except reading an article in the Mail on Sunday this week with someone asking Dr Mosley if fermented foods were too high in salt. His reply was that it, as well as sugar, is mainly fermented out, can be rinsed of (for the salt) and only eaten in quite small quantities so not going to do any harm. Good luck.

• posted by HeAlThYMe2
    on

Hi Sunshine Girl
    Thanks so much for your reply. Had friends for lunch today so off the wagon already!!
    But I know cutting out carbs is good for me and am going to give it a go.
    Confusing tho isn’t it when Michael writes about the Mediterranean diet that specifically includes whole grains. Admittedly certain ones: eye, buckwheat….. Southern Italians eat some pasta and bread. Both white.????
    Hmmm.
    Will continue with kambucha and kefir.
    Glad you’re ok after 2 years with TS.
    Thanks again.
    Nuala

Please log in or register to post a reply.