Advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

Hi Pootle. Wow you did so well but you must be careful not to under eat! I think I am guilty of that too hence the hunger, I still struggle with hunger.
    Typically I eat some raspberries with yogurt for breakfast, salad for lunch and meat and veg for tea.
    Eggs or salad for lunch but am starting to struggle with eggs now!!! It’s all a bit samey.
    And I’m fairly fussy so it is difficult at times
    Anyway I lost 2lbs this week! 17lbs total now. It’s a little slower than others but hey uts a loss.
    My husband lost 4lbs this week not on this diet. So we get to have a treat….mine was a mars bar!!! He wanted some choc hob nobs….but weirdly we are yet to go and get them. Partly don’t want to mess up….but imvery much a reward person. If I get fed up unable to have occasional treat I will give up….so a treat it will be at some point! I get down thinking I have a long way to go still but I’m trying not to dwell on it. I cannot believe I have stuck to this for 6 weeks now!!! It’s a minor miracle!
    Having a bbq tonight with some lovely meats and a few drinks. I have a holiday on Oct 2nd so determined to stick with this until then….and undoubtedly afterwards!!!
    Well done Pootle, you’re doing so well and give me hope of keeping going.
    Thanks everyone. X

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

Pretty gutted, only 1lb this week despite continuing with diet 100 percent. Lost 18lbs total but last few weeks have been disappointing losses. 2 and 1 lbs.
    But its a loss so trying to be positive!

• posted by alialialig
    on

Your meals look good, and it’s normal to feel hungry at first. Maybe add more veggies or protein to stay fuller. It’s tough, but you’re on the right track.

• posted by Pootle
    on

Hi Lucy,

A loss is a loss! 1lb is still a loss!! I think that the longer we have been carrying/storing the fat the more resistant it is to being used/lost! My tremendous loss in the first weeks was weight I had put on in the last 12 months. I am now weighing in and finding I am plateauing more often than not! No loss, but no gain…at least it is no gain!!!! 🥴

However, I am finding exercise getting easier… and am feeling more energetic!

We can do this!! Keep on keeping on!
    XXX

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

So the 2lb continuation goes on!!! Another 2lbs rhis week. Seems slow to me but I’m nit complaining . That’s exactly 1 and half stone now in 9 weeks. At least it’s working.
    Still struggling with what to eat at times but I haven’t wavered.
    4 and half weeks till holiday so I’m hoping to hit 2 stone by then hopefully .

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Lucy as the first week or two of a new diet starts by eliminating fluids, especially low carb diet, yes you will have good numbers. Going at 2lb a week right now is a great achievement. Just keep going. I am sure with your husband also on a plan you can egg each other on.

As for what to eat, keep looking at recipes online. Deliciously Ella is a good site, thedietdoctor has recipes or just type in keto recipes for …. whatever food you have in. You are right to try to vary your meals.

• posted by Pootle
    on

Hi Lucy…welcome to the 2lb club! This week I have also lost 2lb.
    It has been an incredibly busy week for me, and I have been very strict. A 2lb loss is great. I am also getting very nervous about the 3 month blood test which is booked for the 11th September. 🤞I really hope that being so strict has brought my numbers back down!

I am finding it easier to cope with getting my head round totally different foods/recipes, but being so busy this week has stretched my catering skills enormously! 😆
    I have been constantly scanning the 8 week BSD and fast 800 recipe books for inspiration….love, some, hate some….but it is stimulating my brain and tastebuds!

One step at a time…here’s to next week!

K.x

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

Thank you both. I actually can’t believe I’ve come this far. And can’t believe I have stuck with it. Butni think I know why….i have actually have lost weight. All the other diets I have tried I was lucky to lose a few pounds over weeks , then nothing. Then my mentality is well I’m not doing all this hard work for nothing and I fall off the wagon.
    This had been a revelation. Initially I was dumbfounded by what I woykd have to give up and very upset at how I had become but from somewhere I have gained the strength to carry on. I had my mars bar treat last week which in honesty was fab. Next treat at the two stone mark…which I hope will be before my hols on 2nd October… .7lbs in 4 weeks. I think I can do it it! I know my holiday will be hard and I won’t be following this completely as buffet meals are included but I will get it off when I get back and hopefully more. X

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

I’m still part of rhe 2lbs club! Must be several weeks it had been that. 2lbs again this week. 1stone 9lbs loss
    Wow!
    Sorry to post on here every week but it just gives me a boost!
    Wish it was more lol but not going to moan. Thanks again x

• posted by Pootle
    on

Hi Lucy, I have lost 2lb also this week! So we are keeping up with each other. 😁
    I look forward to your posts, we started at about the same time with about the same aim….so your posts encourage me also! I am now finding it much more difficult to find time to count Calories and Carbs in everything I eat, but I have kept a diary of, literally, everything!!! So am starting not to weigh all ingredients, but referring to previous meals, using an educated guess! I had hoped not to have to do this until I had a positive result from the blood test next week, but work and home life have become a bit manic! So I still have fingers crossed that the BS reading will be low enough to take me well down the Pre range.

I have now had to sort out some of my smaller clothes….and/or tighten up the belts! So feeling good about the weight!

I saw in an earlier post that you have had your treat… I am looking forward to mine when I get the positive report from the GP…Watch this space.

XX

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

Really good luck Pootle with your tests I’m sure rhey will be brilliant .
    Well done too with continued weight loss. I have a little treat every half stone or stone.
    But bad news is today I have fallen off the wagon!! Feel a bit gutted but it’s only the second time. So basically I got too hungry and was out and about and ended up buying a Tesco meal deal. Sandwich and crisps and then I finished my husbands crisps too. So I’ve blown it for this week probably just as I’m getting closer to the 2 stone mark. I’m annoyed but it just came over me and I did it.
    😪

• posted by Pootle
    on

Thanks Lucy. 🤞

Don’t beat yourself up too much…it is human nature, we all slip at times! We are none of us perfect and have to forgive ourselves when we fall, pick ourselves up and start again! I indulged in some dry roasted peanuts last week…my husband was eating them and I was hungry..!! 😢But I have been ultra strict since!

I am sure it won’t have done too much damage, so long as we think diet again, and not let it happen too often!

Tomorrow is the 3 month blood test….I am sooo hopeful! If my numbers are down we are going to go out for a meal to a wonderful seafood restaurant! 🤞🦀

Thinking of you…K.x

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

Really good luck today Pootle. When do you get rhe results. I have been pre diabetic for a couple of years and then drifted into diabetic hence this diet and on my 2 week double check blood test I was back to being pre diabetic only after a couple weeks so you are going to have no issues. It’s going to be fantastic news. Let me know! Well I weighed rhis morning and have put weight on, it’s not my official weigh in day which is Friday but 5 days into this week and seems I have put a lb on, can’t surely be the sandwich and crisps??? Feel deflated but I have lost every week so maybe this is what happens but it’s going to hurt if that’s the case on Friday. My target was 2 stone by the time I go on hols which is 2nd Oct. So times running out! 5lbs to go or maybe more if I have put on weight this week.
    Good luck today. You’re going to smash it
    X

on

Hi Lucy, I hope you are straight back on plan because the weight gain you have is not fat gained, it is actually fluid held in by the bread and crisp carbs. It will soon disappear so just keep going.

Pootle, cant wait to hear your results. I got mine within 4 hours but not sure how it works in the UK but hope it wont be too long a wait.

• posted by Pootle
    on

Sunshine-Girl….I cannot wait either!!!! Test taken yesterday, they said results possibly this afternoon , more likely tomorrow afternoon! 🤞

• posted by Pootle
    on

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and support!
    Blood test results are in!!! HbA1c has dropped from 49 (Diabetic) back to 45 (pre-diabetic). A brilliant result considering the inhaler I use says it will put the diabetic numbers up!!
    Yay! So I will celebrate in a couple of weeks, when life is a bit quieter, with a meal out at my favourite restaurant..not avoiding anything! Then back to seriously getting the next stone off!

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

That’s brilliant news. How long have you been doing rhis diet now?
    How much have you lost so far?
    Weigh in tomorrow for me but not boding well as midweek showed I had put on.
    Yes you make sure you go out for a no holds barred meal and drinks lol. You deserve it. X

on

Lucy dont fret about a small gain but I had a treat just like you did and gained 1lb and today it is gone and another half a pound with it. If you really stick to this plan it does work. Also my BG is going down and down and I am having to reduce the amount of insulin I use. Never quite managed to get off all my meds but certainly made lots of reduction in cholesterol, BP and diabetes meds instead of what the doctor said that I would have to take more and more. Not me, no way, I never give up.

Pootle, that is absolutely wonderful news, next step is to get out of the pre-diabetes level. Yes have a treat but you might find that the stodge doesn’t have the same appeal as before. Or take advice from the Glucose Goddess and if you are tempted to the bread don’t touch it until you have had some salad or veg, to line your gut and slow down the transition of the carbs. No matter what you eat or drink just make sure you are back on plan the very next day. Congratulations.

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

Sunshine girl that’s amazing you have done so well.
    It’s not so easy so you have achieved a lot. How much have you lost or was yours about diabetes more than weight?
    In the beginning I was fretting so mich about how I woukd sustain this but I have. My low carb bread and occasional treats have kept me going.
    I hope I have lost something tomorrow . Thanks for your .message x

on

Lucy, I found this diet when I was 11 years diagnosed and already on insulin. I started on 24 units and by this time was on 44 units and still had BG of over 200 (about 11.0 on the other scale) and I used to cry every night because I didn’t know what I was doing wrong. I saw a nutritionist and she put me on over 300g of carbs per day to keep my numbers steady and keep me safe. Yeah, like hell. My numbers stayed the same and I gained 5kgs in the 3 months I stuck with her plan. Then I found Michael Mosley and prayed it wasn’t just another trick or crazy pill or something like that. I guess you could say the rest is history. I now run at HbA1c of around 6.0 but I still use 16 units of insulin which I am currently having to lower as my BG morning tests are around 4.0.

As for my weight. I weighed in a exactly 9 stone when I was diagnosed. I tried meds but they made me ill so doctor put me on insulin. In 6 months I had gone up to 11 stones 9lbs. Fortunately, it didn’t really go up more but try as I might I couldn’t lose anything – insulin causes your body to store glucose in the fat cells and it can’t get rid of it. My first 12 week stint on BSD I lost 13lbs. My total loss was 2 stone. However, besides putting on a few pounds here and there on holidays and treats etc, my BG stayed steady but I just sat at the same weight. I need to lose another 2 stone and I have set myself a goal of 3.3lbs per month for 6 months – up to my birthday in February. If I can do it I will have lost another 20lbs. I am sure I can do this as I am fed up of messing about with my weight now that my BG is looking good most of the time. My diet is obviously good by my results, just need to combat the insulin and make a real effort to lose more weight.

It is a total lifestyle for me. I am a diabetic every day, not just when I feel like it or feel like having cake. I find it easy to say no but I do like my wine and an occasional vodka and they would be my version of your Mars Bar.

Hope you can understand where I am coming from when I get strict with newly diagnosed diabetics or pre-. I want to save you from the heartache I have had to go through. All my thanks go out to Dr Mosley and Prof. Roy Taylor because they have saved my life.

• posted by Lucy1771
    on

Absolutely I understand why you drum it into people. I think though if they are like me uts a panic stage…newly diagnosed, a ton of weight to lose that I’ve been trying to do for years without success which gave me no will.power either as there were no results to incentavise me. Suddenly you’re faced with having to give up all the normal sweet stuff involved in dieting and on top of that carbs. Suddenly I found myself asking can I never have this or that or can I have it as a one off etc….its fear of the unknown. Where as you know how successful this can be and it’s hard to get that across. After my panic week or so I’ve settled into it and am surprised how I have stuck to it . My friend does slimming world and they love carbs on that diet, ridiculous she puts on a few pounds, loses a few pounds but still keeps on it. She won’t switch to what I’m doing and I find that frustrating too. I weighed in at the heaviest I have ever been so had to do something.
    You have done so very well to adopt it as a lifestyle. Amazing. I had to help myself. 7 blood pressure meds I tried and they all made me ill. Now I don’t need them. Just got to get out of the pre range.
    Only lost 1lb this week which I feel gutted about. But that’s one stone 10lbs now.
    X

on

Just made me smile. I can imagine you telling your friend how great this plan is and she is not listening. Know that feeling very well. Good for you for eventually getting it. That bit about having to help yourself, that is what we all experienced and that is why we are here for each other. Keep going.

• posted by Pootle
    on

Hi, I am sooo delighted with my test results but I am going to delay my treat for a while, so I can be nearer my weight goal! (And until after I have seen the GP on the 25th) Weighing in today I am still in the 2lb club, but a loss is a loss!

S-G I also understand where you are coming from. To hear people at the start of a journey questioning the route, when you KNOW that the way is clear, must be extremely frustrating.

Lucy, I started the BSD on the 18th June (15st 4lb)…I had already started dieting (with carbs) on the 11th June, when I weighed in at my heaviest ever – 15st 7lb. I had been diagnosed as Diabetic on the 11th! I only heard about the BSD on 15th June when I bought the book and recipe book.

I had previously dieted from 2016 (start weight 14st 8lb ) when I was told I was pre diabetic (HbA1c 43), through to 2018 (end weight 10st 2lb, HbA1c 45) and kept the weight at about that level until mid 2020. I used the ‘traditional approach’ of eating ‘healthier’ carbs, whole grain rice and pasta, granary/seeded bread, and skin on potatoes, plus low fat everything I could find! Despite the weight loss I went further into the pre diabetic range. So when I was told I am now diabetic, I knew already that the conventional diet was not going to work!
    During lockdown I gradually regained the weight until I was about 14st after Christmas 2023. This year I became more and more inactive and depressed, comfort eating (a whole box of Thorntons chocolates at one sitting a couple of times a week…bags of doughnuts etc etc…you get the picture!) and my weight ballooned to 15st 7lb by early June. I am so determined to get back to a manageable weight, and control my diabetes that I have been extremely strict with myself. But I am human and have slipped a few times.
    I am really working on getting to my goals…one at a time (first was to get back down to pre-diabetic range ✅, next is to get back into the winter coat I bought in 2019! I love that coat!!)…then keep my BS steady, so I am considered a diabetic whose diabetes is controlled by diet!
    I know I could not have been so motivated without these forums and people like S-G and Verano who have kept me going!
    Thank you all!
    Kath.x

on

Great plan Pootle. I had a doctors appt on Tuesday but had all my blood tests on Friday so was very tempted to have a treat over the weekend knowing it wouldn’t affect my BG or cholesterol but held back because I didn’t want to have gained a pound or so with a few glasses of wine. Also the more you delay the easier it gets. There is something to read about deferred gratification but I can’t remember where I saw it. Will google later.

Please log in or register to post a reply.