A question about poo…. Sorry!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by R2020
    on

Hi,
    I’ve read it’s common, I have terrible diarrhea every morning as soon as I wake up. I’m then fine the rest of the day and otherwise enjoying the diet and doing well on it. I’ve done 3 weeks and it doesn’t seem to be settling at all but can’t help feeling this situation is not good for my bowel health, should I worry? Can I do anything to stop it? Does it mean I should stop the diet?

Thanks for any advice.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi R2020, tummy problems are quite common when we change our way of eating. You can go either way. If it is a nuisance take some imodium. Obviously if it goes on for more than a couple of weeks you should see a doctor. Are you on any meds that could be causing it or is it completely related to the diet. You say 3 weeks, has it been constant over that time. Also, have a look at it to see if there is anything nasty (blood) in which case you should definitely see a doctor.

• posted by R2020
    on

Yes it has been constant since just a few days in, I’m 100% sure it’s the diet as not changed anything else and otherwise feel well. I think maybe I’ve taken the green light for healthy fats a bit too far and probably need to cut back on eating so many nuts and oil. But I may well try some immodium actually as I really want to stick to the 8 weeks but this aspect is getting me down a bit.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I found when I did WW many years ago that my body really didn’t tolerate artificial sweeteners – do you use these, has your usage of these changed recently?

That’s all I can contribute, sorry, hope you get it resolved soon.

• posted by R2020
    on

Thanks RubyG, that’s a good thought, I’ll have a look into it. I have used for first time this week but tummy problems started before that. I will be more cautious though as I’m sure sewwteners are hidden in all sorts of things. Thanks again

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

OMG artificial sweetners contain aspartame which is a laxative. There is a joke running around (literally) about a person who ate whole packet of calorie free Gummy Bears then got on a plane for a long journey. Look it up. The results are hilarious but obviously not for the person or for you.

That is a very good example of not having all the facts to make a well advised reply. Sometimes the simplest think is the most obvious.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Just had another thought, chia seeds don’t agree with everyone either (never tried them and have no desire to), but are often touted on diet forums (or is that fora?).

Also, if this is first thing in the morning, what are you eating or drinking last thing at night?

Tp R2020 – are you able to focus on natural food sources rather than factory-produced foods, after all you can’t hide sweetener in a cauliflower!

My husband and I have only been following this for 5 weeks now, but we’ve done it using proper food, just no white carbs and for now, no pulses or grains either, and have not had any gut problems. Drinks are water, black coffee or herbal teas, no diet drinks which are full of sweeteners.

An example is eggs for breakfast, homemade veg soup for lunch, and lean protein with leafy veg or salad, or a stew with tinned tomatoes as a base for supper. One square of very dark chocolate (Lidl 85% or 95%) is a sweet treat occasionally.

Good luck!

• posted by R2020
    on

Thanks for the tips RubyG.
    I am indeed only sticking to natural foods, nothing processed, even given up diet coke. But I have introduced chia seeds having never eaten them before. The last thing I eat is my evening meal usually around 6pm, no snacking after that generally, though occasionally a handful of nuts or seeds.
    I only drink water or no added sugar squash, which I have always drank anyway so can’t imagine it’s that.

To be fair the disturbed sleep has started to settle in the last few days so maybe there’s hope the gut problem won’t be permenant either.

Please log in or register to post a reply.