a few questions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by lovelylibran
    on

[1] I have nearly finished reading the blood sugar diet book, I also have the recipe book. I have a couple of questions – I am allergic to most shellfish, particularly prawns, crabs, crayfish – so I won’t be eating any of those. I note shellfish are promoted in the Mediterranean diet – I can eat oysters [as long as they are cooked] and scallops. So, is it okay to substitute what I can eat?

[2] Also I have a lifelong aversion to yoghurt of all descriptions – simply the sight of it makes my stomach turn, and cannot stand the smell of it nor the consistency, and I feel the same about cows’ milk. Can handle the almond milk I make myself, and also don’t mind coconut milk – so are they okay as substitutes?

[3] A naturopath who helped me virtually eliminate a sore throat virus that I had for almost two years, [conventional medicine no help at all, and I got very sick of having a sore red throat all the time], suggested I go on the Blood Type diet [and that included being gluten-free, which helped my gut tremendously] – I am type O, I have lists of “yes” “neutral” and “no” foods – and many of the foods you suggest for the diet are on my “no” list. Some of the things on my “no” list I cannot stomach anyway, like olives, yoghurt, cows’ milk….so can you suggest how I follow a low carb/healthy fat diet [way of eating] whilst still maintaining the blood type diet?

Curly questions I know, but I have gained so much from the blood type diet and being gluten-free, that I do not want to go backwards…

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Lovelylibran
    Welcome to the forum. You should have absolutely no problem keeping to your blood type diet with this way of eating. Although it is based on the principles of a Mediterranean diet with lots of fresh veggies – it is not limited to Med veggies or foods eaten in the Med. So the range of food that you can eat is huge.

As long as you avoid the bad carbs (the sugary and starchy stuff) from your ok to eat list – You will have no problems with this way of eating.

I knew that I had to follow this way of eating long term – well basically forever. Also I didn’t want to have to make separate meals to my husband. So we continued to eat the same meals – me without the bad carbs, but husband just added potatoes, rice and bread if he wanted – but now he usually has what I have – extra non starchy veggies in place of the bad stuff. I must confess I don’t use the recipes but do follow the guidelines strictly i.e. no bad carbs.

You will be pleased to know that there is no wheat at all any of the recipes – it looks from the book that wheat is strictly of limits.

I also have a very strong aversion to shell fish of any kind – not an allergy, but I can’t even watch anyone eat shellfish, yuk!!! Some people follow the recipes to the letter and have great results – others do what I do and get equally as good results. This way of eating is so flexible.

I have the added problem of having undiagnosed diabetes for many years and am very insulin resistant and have have to cut carbs to 20g. So the pulses and stuff like carrots and onions spike my blood sugars. But this has been no problem and I have had fabulous results – diabetes in remission and off all insulin.

So good luck with this way of eating. The support from this forums fantastic.

• posted by Squidge
    on

LovelyLibran, substituting different foods for something similar is fine as long as you don’t increase the carbs and calories. I don’t eat shellfish, cauliflower, aubergines and some of the other sugested foods, so just swap for different protein sources and veggies.

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hello Lovely Libran,
    What are you hoping to achieve by following the BSD? What is it about your current diet that you are looking to change?
    P

• posted by lovelylibran
    on

Thank you; puts my mind at rest – I really want to cut back on carbohydrates, and I know all the obvious ones, but some high-carb food is not so obvious. I have yet to look at the recipes in the Blood Sugar Diet Recipe book, but look forward to that – I think that is my main issue, adapting the Mediterranean diet and tweaking it to include the foods I can eat and I like. My mother was a Type 2 diabetic, and my partner is also, although we got him diagnosed at the earliest stage, and he has managed to control it with diet and exercise for the last 10 years.

• posted by lovelylibran
    on

Thank you for the reassurance!…It is interesting, and for me, pleasing, that although the general consensus seems to be to encourage us all to eat yoghurt and milk [which I never have as I can’t stomach either] that it is not absolutely necessary!!

• posted by lovelylibran
    on

I want to cut out all the dangerous carbohydrates. My partner is type 2 diabetic [and so was my mother]. My health and blood sugar levels are good, and I want to keep them that way. I am lucky I do not ‘comfort eat’ – for me, if I am emotional, I don’t eat at all, just cannot eat – also dangerous in its own way. In recent years, ie post menopause, I have had, as have many many of my woman friends and contemporaries, problems with my gut – ie foods that were previously no problem to eat suddenly cause severe upsets – chronic stomach cramps, severe diarrhoea, bloating, long-lasting nausea, and a general feeling of being completely churned up. it was not until I saw a naturopath to help me rid a viral sore throat [that I had for almost 2 years after pharyngitis] that I realised it was all diet-related.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello lovelylibran, and the warmest of welcomes to the forums! Some of us who have been following this
    way of life long term have never used the recipe book at all. A lot of us just adapted what we prefer to
    eat by eliminating the bad carbs, and just because shellfish is featured in the menu plans, you can easily substitute
    any clean protein source in its place. Vegetarians have been equally successful by doing the same. The principle
    is that this is a low carb, moderate protein, high (healthy) fat protocol. By keeping carbs low and adhering to
    the Fast800 and drinking 2-3 liters of water each day, there is a great deal of flexibility inherent in this way of
    eating. Shout out if you have any questions or concerns, and one of us will be along to try and help. There is
    a great deal of wisdom and experience here, and we never tire of talking about this lifestyle, so please join
    any thread that catches your interest. You will be made very welcome!
    Best of luck to you ๐Ÿ™‚
    Allie

• posted by lovelylibran
    on

Thank you so much! I feel very welcome….I guess then the main thing for me is to work out those foods that do have high carbs – besides the obvious ones!…And now I know if I am unsure I can come here and ask! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Anytime, lovelylibran! We all experience a learning curve with this complete change in the way we think about
    food, and carbs lurk in the most unexpected places ๐Ÿ™‚ Who would have thought that a simple onion contained
    11g of carbs, and a medium apple 16-18g??? Looking forward to getting to know you!

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.