8 weeks and counting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Good morning

Today is day 1 for me. I’ve just weighed myself and took some measurements so all set to see those figures coming down.

Bit about me, I’m a 42 year old female, I don’t have any blood sugar issues as far as I’m aware (never been tested) however I’m 40 pounds overweight and the fat loves to cling to my midsection particularly above and below the belly button!

I gave up smoking in 2010 and put on weight, I then sadly lost my father and turned to even more food. In 2014 I decided to do something about it and lost 4 stone over the year but in the last year I’ve managed to put a stone back on.

I don’t have any real health issues other than occasional migraines and I do get restless leg syndrome. Coincidentally one of the recommendations for helping ease the symptoms of restless legs is a diet high in iron, the food groups recommended on this plan fit the bill perfectly!

I’ve got a small problem in that tomorrow I start working overtime on weekdays for a month so I have to plan my meals around what I can take to work, we have a microwave so it’s not too bad. As I won’t be getting home until 9pm and I can’t eat that late, lots of fresh veg is out of the equation so my meals will be based around foods I can cook on a weekend and reheat.

I plan to eat lots of fresh veg and fish on weekends as I’ll miss not having them during the week.

Just so I know I’ve got it right in my head can I just check today’s menu with you?

Breakfast : 2 hard boiled eggs
    Lunch : falafels with yogurt based dip (full fat Greek)
    Dinner : shredded lemon chicken, barley and broccoli

Just realised this is a huge post…sorry!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Welcome too the forums Jandz100
    Nothing wrong with that meal plan.
    Day before I started I made large pans of chicken broth and lentil soup, both packed with vegarables, portioned them and froze them.
    5 weeks later and I have just used up the last portion (alternated with other meals)
    They make a tasty, hot filling lunch and take a couple of mins in the microwave.
    You seem very organised, looking fieward to seeing your progress

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Thanks Bill

I also made a batch of lentil soup yesterday ready to take to work for lunches, doesn’t have any veg in though. But that’s definitely something to consider for next weekends cooking, I don’t like veg soup on its own but nothing stopping me adding to a lentil based soup.

Im hoping I’ll find this easy going food wise as I already have a good stock of ingredients in and only things to buy will be the fresh veg & dairy. Just need to swap out the carbs from my usual foods.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Ok it’s day 2!

Yesterday was surprisingly easy, didn’t feel hungry at all, but did have a moment where I wanted something sweet in the afternoon and after tea last night.
    This I think is more habit than actual need, I normally have some chocolate or snacks on a Sunday while watching catch up tv and a pudding after tea ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I had 4 teaspoons full fat Greek yogurt at about 8pm and that did it for me, yum, yum!

Anyway today will be a test of what’s to come, I start a month of overtime at work so 12 hour shifts here I come….both lunch and tea are going with me to reheat. Strangely I think the overtime may help me stay on track as I’ll be home late, it’ll be a hot drink and in bed within an hour of getting in!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Jandz,
    A cup of liquorice tea or slice of lemon in hot water really helps with sweet cravings. They soon won’t be bothering you, the cravings stop quite quickly if you stick with this diet.
    Sounds like you’ve made a great start. Look forward to reading of your progress.

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

Sounds like you’re off to a great start. Enjoy the ride… it is surprisingly rather an enjoyable experience!

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Hi Jandz … welcome!! Now I am one of those lucky ones that work from home, but because of that I forget about lunchtimes etc., and only remember when there are hunger pangs … and I hate to say it, I’m not always as organised as I should be. However, I have bought lots of green veg, and this lunchtime I found some fine green beans in the fridge, which I chopped up into 2cm (or about) and put them in a microwave steamer for 4 mins. Opened a tin of tuna chunks and drained it. Then I ran the beans under cold water until chilled, mixed with my tuna and a tablespoon of mayo with a dash of vinegar, salt and pepper! Then ate every mouthful!
    Good luck x

• posted by suzig23
    on

Are you allowed mayo?
    I really need a list of allowed foods. I have swapped to this from Harcombe as I felt I was just constantly eating the same things. Ging to give this a try.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Day 2 over with and still no cravings or hunger pangs…..seems too good to be true but I’m not complaining!

I even managed 2litres of water today on top of 3 cups of tea ….yay!

Feeling tired tonight but I’m putting that down to a disturbed sleep (cat sat on me as wanted my attention at 2 in the morning) and the extra hours at work, no other issues though.

Sorted food for tomorrow, lunch is a mix of tuna, chickpeas, hard boiled egg and spring onions with full fat yogurt, cayenne pepper and black pepper, sounds odd but it’s nice…I promise.

Dinner will be giant plaki (Greek beans in tomato sauce) with broccoli, this is from freezer and can be reheated in microwave at work.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Well today is day 6 but it’s also my weigh day soooo….

4 lbs off
    2 inches off my stomach
    2 inches off the bit between boobs & belly button ๐Ÿ˜‚

No hunger pangs whatsoever and no sugar cravings so far, and energy seems to have increased. For instance, finished my overtime last night, came home had a cuppa and then started doing housework! Normally I come home and do nothing on a Friday night as I’m too tired and that’s after a week of normal shifts never mind 3 hours overtime a day!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Great results Jandz100! Well done – all the best for next week.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

ok so Saturday has always been my ‘treat’ day when trying to lose weight, silly I know but it worked ok when I lost 4 stone in 2014.

Today I had to do my food shop, went to aldi, dropped lots of nice veg, fish, prawns etc into the trolley and then walked down the sweet aisle…..and kept walking, didn’t even feel tempted ๐Ÿ˜‡ !!!!!

Saturday tea would normally be carb loaded along the lines of pizza, fish & chips, pie and chips…you get the idea right? Tonight it was baked fish & asparagus cooked in a foil parcel with butter, chilli flakes and lemon juice served with a side of broccoli!

If I’m hungry later I still have calories left over for some nuts…

What has happened to me?? ๐Ÿค—

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Jandz,
    Amazing isn’t it? You’ve broken the hold that carbs and sugar had over you ๐Ÿ™‚
    Just goes to show, as someone else posted, that it really is an addiction.
    You’ve also had some impressive weight and inches lost too.
    Keep up the good work

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Day 7 and my energy has no bounds!

Been up since 7.30 and I’ve done a load of washing, ironing, hoovered right through house, cleaned the bathroom, cut the grass.

Made soup for lunches next week, lamb tagine in slow cooker as I type.

And to top it off I’ve just come back from a 6 mile walk along the coast with a friend, tracker says I did 12874 steps!

Sunday is normally spent sitting on butt watching tv and eating!

Loving it!

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Morning folks

Well week 2 is done and dusted, weighed myself this morning and another 3 lbs off ๐Ÿ‘ Not bothering with the measurements this week, will leave that until next week.

Struggled a bit with lunches for work as went off the soup I’d made, think it’s due to having soup 3 weeks in a row, I normally alternate with sandwiches. So ended up with random bits like hard boiled eggs, cheese, nuts etc stayed within calorie count though so not too bad. I’m making a frittata later with kale, bacon & cheese so will portion up and take to work.

Trying to use up food I already have in rather than buy lots of new stuff, otherwise I’ll become discouraged. Last nights tea was sticky pork ribs cooked in slow cooker with cauliflower rice….lovely ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Tonight’s delicacy is liver & bacon in onion gravy with veg…so looking forward to it x

• posted by Sharon
    on

Hi James
    Well done and good luck for this week keep up the good work.

• posted by Sharon
    on

Jandz. Sorry don’t know where the James came from

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Good news is week 3 ended yesterday and another 2lb has gone…10lb in total ๐Ÿ‘

Bad news is I’m not holding out much hope of a loss next weigh in as yesterday and today have been very very carb heavy.

Yesterday was a meal out and lots of alcohol and today was Easter lunch including pudding….and I’m suffering for it! Stomach is uncomfortable, feeling lethargic and a mild headache is lurking in the background. Also, thinking back now, I didn’t enjoy much of the food or drink so maybe this plan is realigning my taste buds aswell?

However, I’m not beating myself up for my actions, I’m learning from them, I’m actually looking forward to being back on plan tomorrow and at least now I know it’s the carbs that have made me feel blarghh for several years now !

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jandz, I find fritatta is a good packed lunch choice, you can fry onion,peppers and mushrooms then add the eggs. I sometimes put a little grated cheese on before popping it under the grill. Use 4 eggs. Cut it in two and you have 2 packed lunches. Another good lunch is hummus or peanut butter dip, take crudites of cucumber, pepper, celery and carrot. Plenty of mid week veg!

Forget about yesterday, it’s the past. You can take from the experience that it doesn’t agree with you to eat a carb heavy meal ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Hi hashimoto

I agree about the frittata, I made a large one for lunches last week and cut into 4 pieces, I don’t mind eating the same food for a few days, just not for weeks like the soup! It’s also a good way to use up bits and bobs from the fridge/freezer as I hate waste.

My frittata had bacon, kale, peppers, red onion and a small amount of grated chilli cheese (I grate it and stick it in freezer as I can only eat small amounts as it’s got a decent kick to it)

I struggle with cruditรฉs as I’m not a salad or raw veg kind of person…I’d end up just eating the dip with a spoon haha

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jandz, chilli cheese, now you’re talking my language. Love it. I didn’t mention the fact that I add chilli to my frittata as I thought it might sound odd! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

End of week 4 and 1lb off…..Its only a 1lb but I’m grateful as a loss is still a loss and considering the amount of carb crap I ate & drank over Easter weekend I expected a gain ๐Ÿ˜ณ

So it’s the midway point of the 8 weeks and this is how things have panned out so far:

Week 1 – 4 lb loss
    Week 2 – 3 lb loss
    Week 3 – 2 lb loss
    Week 4 – 1 lb loss

I’m determined week 5 will not follow this trend!

If I can lose another 2 lb I’ll have reached my first goal…it means I’m back to the weight I was at Xmas 2014.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

It’s going well jandz!:)

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Thank you hashimoto, I’m pleased with the weight loss, better off than on.

I’m so pleased I’ve lost the sweet craving, my colleagues at work decided on Thursday they would set up a ‘tuck’ shop in the office, by Friday there was a large selection of crisps and chocolate available to buy. I have no way of avoiding walking past as they’ve placed it all right in front of the entrance to the kitchen area!

Then the woman who sits next to me walked in with share size bags of sweets and plonked a bag of peanut M&Ms on my desk…these used to be my favourites! But guess what…..I gave her them back and explained I no longer wanted them!

I think she was actually offended but I’d already told her not to bring any in when she mentioned it earlier in the week.

It was sad seeing colleagues getting excited at the thought of a tuck shop and what they wanted to be available to buy ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jandz, you were more than within your rights to refuse junk, even more so when you had specifically told people you were no longer eating sweets and crisps. Almost sounds like sabotage.

Keep some celery sticks on your desk!!

It is sad that with all the publicity about sugar and poor health that a bunch of adults would act so irresponsibly ๐Ÿ™

Good on you that you are remaining strong!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

I’m starting week 7 today having reached my first mini goal ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

When I lost 4 stone in 2014 I was 179 lb by Xmas…by the time I started this plan on 6 March 2016 I was 192 lb, my 1st goal was to get back to that weight.

My weight this morning is 178 lb ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

When I started I measured some bits that I wanted to shrink…I measured them again this morning

Waist – 3 inch loss
    Stomach – 4 inch loss

My nemesis is the spare tyre between my bust and belly button – 4 inch loss ๐Ÿ˜˜

I’m now 12 stone 10 so next goal is to lose 11 lb to get me in the next stone bracket down

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Jandz100 you must be so pleased, you’ve achieved your goal and more. The inches lost are very impressive too. ๐Ÿ™‚
    At this rate it won’t be long before you’re in that next weight bracket.

• posted by Trees
    on

Happy Sunday to you all from a sunny south coast
    As it’s Sunday this would have been my day for marmite and toast for breakfast — I really miss my marmite any ideas on what I can replace the toast with? X

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Celery and marmite???? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Congratulations Jandz, on surpassing your first goal, like Cherrianne said you’ll soon reach your next target! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Thanks guys

I’m even more pleased now as I went and tried on a couple of dresses hidden at the back of wardrobe…they were hidden because I couldn’t breathe properly when I tried them on last year and took ages to get the zip up.

Not only can I get them on without undoing the zip I can actually breathe in them….but only just!

Couple more inches off the lumps and bumps and they should be perfect fits ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Well today is the end of week 8

I’ve not measured yet but overall I’ve lost 19.8 lb which is an overall loss of 10.3%.

I need to go clothes shopping to replace a few items later this week so will see how clothes sizes have changed then.

I’m no longer craving chocolate, last time I ate some was Easter and it wasn’t pleasant, in fact I was bought a large bar of Toblerone (my favourite of all time) and it’s been sitting in the drawer for 2 weeks unopened….this is a major achievement!

Not had any potatoes, pasta, rice, biscuits, cakes since started, I have however had bread on a couple of occasions but always made sure I included it in carb count so it didn’t affect my weight loss….it did make me feel tired though within a few hours of eating.

On the health front, I’ve not suffered from migraines or restless leg syndrome since the first week…not sure if it’s the diet or weight loss that’s helped with those but either way it’s a win win! My digestion has improved no end, I used to suffer with excess gas nearly everyday which was uncomfortable and Monday’s were always horrible as I used to eat so much rubbish on a weekend so bathroom visits would be frequent .

I want to lose another 14 lb so will stick to plan for another 4 weeks and hopefully I’ll be moving onto maintenance

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Jandz, it’s amazing how many of us have tried a bit of carbs and felt the unwelcome result. A few of us have queried how we probably had the same effects before but were ignored as ‘normal’. It makes me sad to think of all the people who have not heard of, or tried this diet because it works wonders!
    Hope your next four weeks goes well ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Hi hashimoto

I completely agree, so many people could benefit if they just tried.

I have a good friend who is diabetic, she’s a bit overweight and tires very easily. By Wednesday she needs an early night and on a weekend quite frequently needs to have a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. She seems to lose her appetite quite regularly aswell so often survives on toast for tea..she eats lots and lots of carbs!

While I do talk to her about her diabetes she’s very defensive when it comes to discussing what she should and shouldn’t be eating…she talks like I haven’t a clue what I’m talking about and too be fair I don’t as I only know what I’ve read on here. I really want to get her to read the book but I know it would be thrown in my face so all I can do is keep planting the seed in her head about food choices and see if she takes the hint.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Jandz, my best friends partner is diabetic, has retinopathy, trouble with his kidneys and nerve pains in his feet. He frequently goes into diabetic comas. I made a bSD meal for them and afterwards he did not go into a coma. So very much liked it. So I made him some chickpea flour flatbreads he could have instead of toast. I bought him the book. All to NO AVAIL !!! He thinks it is easier to get a pizza and chips delivered than make the effort to make an omelette??? Some people do not want to be helped, my asthma nurse said the same.
    This is worse when you know my dear friend is in end stage renal failure. He sees what will happen when your kidneys fail. He has been in the renal wards when they are full of people who are blind and have amputations because of diabetes. But he is complacent. He takes the tablets!!!!! Yes, he takes the tablets is his answer.

Perhaps you could have her round for the odd meal and prepare BSD meals – obviously larger portions for her as you don’t want to put her off. So curry with chickpea flour flatbreads looks like a normal carby meal for resistant people. You could do coconut flatbreads smothered in ff yoghurt and berries for a dessert. Try and haul her in slowly – but it still might not work. I am learning a lot of people do not want to improve their health if it means changing their habits. ๐Ÿ™

You never know though, she may change her mind one day ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

That’s the odd thing though, she recognises certain things need to change, for instance her fitness levels.

I agreed to go walking with her on a Sunday afternoon, each week I encourage us to walk further, I’ve got her walking 13 miles now. She loves it! Last week she brought a banana and chocolate with her to have at the half way point, then said it was a bit of pain as she wants to walk to lose weight and ends up eating chocolate. I asked if she could bring something else and only use the chocolate in an emergency and she agreed…..she’s told me she’s swapping it for a sandwich! I asked if it was a slow release food and she said no and then changed the subject!

I can only keep trying …..

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Hmmm maybe I should make the ‘sandwich’ next week and use the flatbreads ๐Ÿค”

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Jandz, that isn’t a bad idea. I find rosemary and caraway seeds added to the batter make for a nice wrap. The cumin seeds and chilli are what I use for curries.

You could also take hard boiled eggs and little packets of nuts and seeds – even an apple. That should keep her feeling ok!! The coconut flatbreads are sweet ( if you miss the salt out) so she might like them as they appear quite carby to the uninitiated!

You are both doing well to walk 13 miles!! And you are obviously a very good friend to her! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

I have set us a walking challenge…at the end of September we will walk the Lakeside Way around Kielder….all 27 miles of it!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow Jandz, that sounds amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi hashimoto
    Hope you are much improved now. Perhaps because your body has had such a clear out of the ‘bad’ food stuff you were particularly susceptible to that ‘treat’. It’s a warning to us all!
    How soon is the trip?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Not long!!! A couple of weeks or so!! I won’t be having any ‘treats’ in Oz no matter how much people try to persuade me!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Have been and done a bit of clothes shopping as in desperate need of new undies & pj’s…also wanted some new walking shoes and jeans

Undies & pj’s….currently wearing size 20-22 (bought before I lost weight in 2014) have bought 14-16 and they fit !!!

Jeans ….I have my eye on a pair by RJR, I managed to get the 14’s on and zipped up ๐Ÿ˜ But muffin top appeared so they went back on the peg, 16’s are too big on the leg & butt.

Have decided jeans will be a present to myself when I reach goal weight!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow Jandz that is a huge drop in size! Fantastic! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Jandz 100. I realise you haven’t posted for a while, but I searched ‘restless leg syndrome’ and you came up! ๐Ÿ˜€
    I’ve had this for years and was interested to see how, if at all, it was affected by the diet. I’ve just finished 8 weeks, lost 2 stone and am now officially ‘normal’. All of which is great. I’m now on the second day of 5:2, still low carbs but bigger portions, and my RLS has kicked in with avengence. In retrospect, it never went away but was better.
    So I was interested in your experiences. Is it worse/better/the same? Any tips for managing it? I’m on pramiprexole and have been for years.

Thanks in advance!

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Hi Bissell

My RLS seems to have calmed right down, however, I’m on week 16 and have only just entered the healthy BMI bracket this weekend ๐Ÿพ

I stopped calorie counting last week and so far so good, that said I’ve also started to take magnesium supplements as I also started to get really bad night cramps in my calf muscles…these apparently also work on RLS so maybe they’re helping.

I’m also walking 15 mile every Sunday or going out on the bike. Hopefully it’s a combination of it all but guess I’ll know more in the next few weeks.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Thanks for coming back so quickly. Wow, seems like you are doing really well. Congratulations for a brilliant result.
    And I’m interested to hear you RLS seems under control, even thought your calorie intake has gone up. I’ve tried magnesium supplements in the past to no noticeable effect. Also iron. And I do a fair bit of walking, with a couple of dogs. Oh well, perhaps it’s a one off!
    Good luck with the future, sounds like you have it nailed.

Please log in or register to post a reply.