4 days on bsd

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Juliepetty
    on

Hi all,
    I started the bsd 4 days ago, I am type 2 diabetic and take 1 prolonged release 750mg metformin a day.
    Since starting the diet my fasting reading first thing in the morning has gone from around 6/7 to 13.3 this morning, its scaring me as I am never usually above 9. (These are uk readings)
    Can anyone say if this is a normal reaction and that its just my body adjusting to the diet change and that things will settle down in a few more days.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Have a search on the forum for dawn phenomenon as this has been discussed several times over the years and there is some very good information there. Hopefully someone who has experienced it will also answer you directly, but I believe the consensus was that it signalled the desired loss of visceral fat, and that as long as your 2 hour readings were lower then there was nothing to worry about and the morning readings would settle down when the visceral fat had reduced.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi again Julie, when you are on a strict diet your body thinks you are going hungry (it might be right) and during the night especially, if you have had nothing since tea / dinner your liver starts to pump out glycogen (sugar) to stop you from starving. If you have a small snack (BSD friendly of course) before you go to bed you will let your liver know you dont need that sugar rush. Try a slice of chicken or ham or a small piece of cheese or some yoghurt and berries. That should sort you out although dont worry if you get a spike now and then, our bodies are very complex and dont always do what we expect.

Please log in or register to post a reply.