3 weeks in – Blood sugar woes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ruby77
    on

Hi everyone, my first post here. I’m 3 weeks in today and had some great results in terms of my weight loss, down 7.7kg . Feeling so much better and more energy which is great. I was recently diagnosed diabetic, not on medication so am super keen to reverse this (apparently only just in the range for a few weeks). I haven’t been checking my glucose levels much just because I find it very up and down but 3 weeks in I just did a fasting and I am 6.9. I have been lower than that but haven’t managed to get in to the normal range since starting the diet. I’m really worried that it won’t happen. Also I have followed the diet and stuck to my 800 all but 2 days where I went over but with food that is allowed (if that makes sense). I keep reading all of these stories about how people’s blood sugar dropped really quickly in to the norm and I’m worried that won’t happen to me. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Ruby …. don’t panic!!
    Lots of us have had great results putting our T2 into remission and you will too.You say
    “I haven’t been checking my glucose levels much just because I find it very up and down “
    Exactly! Finger prick testing is really unreliable because there are so many variables. I test mine periodically and it can be anything between 5.6 and 7.2. When it goes above 7 I take a close look at my carbs. But … my HbA1c has been steady in the low 5’s for over four years. If you finger prick just use it as a very rough guide and find your own ‘norm’.
    Don’t beat yourself up, wait for your next HbA1c. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Ruby77, you dont say what your HbA1c was when you were diagnosed so not able to judge whether you have come down or not. 6.9 is just tipping you into the diabetic range but as Verano says, not terribly reliable. You are so lucky to have found this way of eating so early since your diagnosis. I was 12 years in and on insulin. My BG dropped from around 8.2 to 6.9 in 3 weeks but then came down even lower and I now run at around 4.8 to 5.2. Funny though, as we said about not reliable my HbA1c is usually around 6.0 or 6.5. Stick with the plan, especially not eating the white starchy carbs and you will see great results by the time you are re-tested. Do you know when that will be, usually 3 months after diagnosis. Congrats on the weight loss, that is sure to help your overall health.

• posted by Ruby77
    on

Thanks Verano, that certainly makes me feel a lot better.

Sunshine-girl, thank you. My HbA1c was 7.4 and it indicated it had only been at this level for 6-8 weeks. I did a finger prick test a week after I started and it was 6.0 fasting so it is definitely coming down I hope. I will be tested in another 8 weeks so hopefully by then it will give me a much clearer reading on how I am tracking.

Thanks so much for the responses, this has definitely set my mind at rest

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

No worries Ruby77. Something I didnt mention – and I dont know why because I am the queen of the subject – the Dawn Phenonomen. This is when you seriously restrict calories and your body thinks you are starving. It has a safety mechanism to prevent you from dying in your sleep (yes it goes back to stoneage man) where the liver pumps glycogen (a form of glucose) into the blood to save your life. Obviously you are not starving but years of conditioning tells your body different. To combat this you can have a small snack before bedtime but on this plan it should only be something like a square of cheese, a slice of ham or a piece of chicken.

This has always been my mantra but over the last few months I have been doing Time Restricted Eating so I have cut out the nighttime snack. What happened. I did have some instances where BG was higher but my body has not got used to it and it doesnt happen any more. So I would say dont worry about it and accept it is normal.

Please log in or register to post a reply.