2022 ASPIRATIONAL APRIL. One Week at a Time 26th April

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hopefully this will work, here is the weekly message from Wendleg (Wendy)

Lauren, thank you for setting up last week’s thread. I hope you are still enjoying the memories of your beautiful wedding xx

SG, I am borrowing your mantra !

One week left in April and to be honest it wasn’t my finest month but today is a new day , a new week and I’m digging in !

I have basically learned I’m still vulnerable and can easily succumb to that insidious voice telling me I deserve ‘ comfort’ . I even got hubby to bring me a bar of Lindt salted caramel when he finally ventured out to the shops….oh heck ! I’m the one who was always telling you that sugar is toxic, that food can’t really comfort but there I was squashing down difficult emotions .I need to re read those books I am always recommending ! I even reasoned with myself that we didn’t buy any Easter eggs so it was ok !!!!

Anyway …….
    I’m moving on and feeling well enough to do one of my start of the week fasts . .. and taking it from there .

Please join in if you continue to enjoy the weekly accountability or if you have a short term target ( trips away like Verano and sunshine-girl)

We go to the UK in July ..wow haven’t been since Christmas 2019 !!!! I’m hoping my other son will be able to come over from Australia and we can enjoy a much needed family reunion. There is a wedding coming up mid July too so lots to look forward to .

Hoping we can keep going together .It really does help feeling part of our little community . I see a few people are still missing and we hope you are ok .

Wendy and sunshine-girl ( Sunny B is still away ) xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

It kept telling.me to subscribe to receive notifications 🙄🙄

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks SG. I am posting this from my phone….seems to be working xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello.
    Well my time away with three meals a day and more carbs than normal, but not a carb fest, has only resulted in a 1.6lb gain. I can live with that.
    Wendy you may be the one that says ‘sugar is toxic’ but you’re also the one who says ‘don’t beat yourself up’!
    Yes, I agree let’s all move on from last week and in just a few days we can all move on from April which has turned out to be anything but Aspirational.
    My ‘intention’ this week is still to increase my water intake and also to get back to TRE.
    Roll on MAY!
    Have a good week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

12st 1.0lb this morning, aiming to be below 12st before I go away on Monday.
    As I posted on the positive thoughts thread, asparagus season is here – at 20cals and 4g carbs per 100g. We only eat asparagus when in season locally, and there is a farm 1 mile from us who used to sell at the farm gate (will have to check this year), so for 6 weeks of the year we gorge ourselves silly on the stuff. I also have 3 or 4 crowns in a raised bed which give us a few meals per year with not a lot of gardening effort on my part.
    I did quite well with my water drinking yesterday, 16:8 went well and I didn’t overeat when I broke my fast, so I’m doing that again today while my head is in the right place.
    Have a good week all.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi all
    Thank you all for the good wishes about The Ring 😁
    Not a good Easter at all, funny how it was harder than Christmas. I had been trying 800 cal a day before but managed to slip up everyday ☹️. Likewise yesterday was supposed to be good but fiance bought cookies n ice cream 🍨. So today I am going to try a 24 hr fast for the 1st time, nothing but water and maybe a black coffee. Only just over target but haven’t quite got back since we came back from England. Tell me I can do it, it’s only till dinner this evening.

on

Hi everyone, Elle-Mae, I might be too late but YOU CAN DO IT. Missed the thing about the ring??? BTW what is it about England Elle.
    We have just come back and we ate out 4 times in 3 days. Every shopping trip was an excuse for a pub lunch or Carluccios. And not a salad in sight. I asked in one pub and they said no one eats salads but they might have one on the May menu. I very cheekily said there was chicken on the menu and one meal had a sprinkle of green stuff so they must have lettuce etc, so could the chef just make me a chicken salad, and he did.

Verano, you have only yourself to blame for the aspirational name, it was your idea :):):)

RubyG, I am with you on the asparagus. I never liked it much until I bought some from our local farm shop. It was sweet and tender and half the price of the supermarket woody stuff. Shame it doesnt last long. The French like the white asparagus and use it to make soups but I’ve yet to try that.

Just had my official back on the diet weigh in and I gained just under 4lbs. We have another trip on the 6th June and my goal is to lose half a stone. That will take me lower than before and give me a bit of leeway for the trip. I am still using insulin and have upped it to 14 units so still within reach to be giving up. A good time for me might be after the wedding in August then we have no events or holidays until Christmas. I am still scared of stopping.

Have a good week and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes s-g I really do only have myself to blame full stop ….. nobody force feeds me! I promise I definitely won’t try to come up with any ideas for naming May!

on

Ahhh V, I didnt mean it. I hope you know I was joking. We can leave it to Wendy to think of a May related phrase.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Well, I believe I initially mentioned Meaningful March – that didn’t work out either 😉

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes s-g 😀😀😀😀. And yes let’s leave it to Wendy!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Marvellous May? Miraculous May (might be pushing it? 😂)….Marvellous Michael Mosley in May? Lol

Hi all,

Sorry to have missed a few weeks- still haven’t been very well and then we went on hol (a very busy hol, which was lovely too, but I was so wiped out afterwards- it was a lot of driving too)

Anyhow…..been off the MM wagon for a while… so I restarted on Sunday evening….last night I said to hubby, make me a bet of how long I can last with the BSD ‘proper’ and it might spur me on to beat whatever you say….bearing in mind I’ve not managed more than about 3 consecutive days since Feb/ March…..well, he started going off on a tangent about carrots and sticks, and some sort of reverse carrot….anyhow, he then suggested I give up wine until I get back to target (the absolute b*****d) 😱😱😱…..he is right of course, because when I did the BSD at the beginning, I did completely abstain….and I really love red wine as part of the WOE, but it’s obviously more for when you get to maintenance….soooo, if I’m not allowed to drink until goal….that’s a massive motivation (plus the bra shopping, but that alone wasn’t getting me into the mindset) (we are only talking half a bottle of red over the weekend days, usually, btw….I don’t have a drink problem, just to clarify!) ….

I know how much better I feel when I stick to the WOE, whether in a weight loss BSD phase or at healthy maintenance with some TRE/ IF, but I also needed just a little extra motivation!!…..

Hope everyone is well,
    Clare xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

How about mediocre May….:that seems to be the level a few of us are aiming for right now!

Just checking in quickly, I could write an essay about how very definitely I’m not ok, but I won’t bore you all with that, just wanted to send some words of encouragement to those who need it xx

Will check back in later in the week

Lauren x

on

Sorry to hear you are down Lauren. Your photos are beautiful by the way.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

aww Lauren, huge hugs xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Back in a bit to reply to everyone.

How about Make May Matter ?

To be pronounced when you’ve got your teeth in 😂😂

on

Going to have a busy few days. Just been to get all our plants to pot out, also tomato plants and we have to open the pool this weekend. Good job we dont have to go to work as well.

Happy to have lost 1lb since Monday although I dont remember feeling so hungry before despite having tipped over the 800 cals to around 950. Also BG down so I can start reducing insulin again. I was dancing around the kitchen this morning doing my James Brown impersonation of I Feel Good, not appreciated by hubby.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

How about “Master May”?
    I like the stronger idea of gaining control, even if it is just a small fractional victory, such as no in between meal eating or adding in extra exercise or really truly truly cutting out any refined sugar for 48 hours or some such. You can set your own fractional mini-goal and smash it.
    I have found that the little things all add up to the bigger thing and it’s the little things that are where I can slip up.
    Getting mastery over the all-day-long stuff (like buying a black coffee, not a flat white or fasting until lunch time or getting myself to the gym for some weight training, or eating enough protein) are what make the difference between simple intention and active success.
    Don’t forget to prioritize protein!! Veggies are absolutely wonderful but it’s critical to prioritize protein. Dr. Bikman suggests 1 gram protein per kilogram ideal body weight.
    California is having a beautiful spring, despite the drought. And I recall the bird song and greenery of Britain in May! It was a true experience to walk through British woods in May. Practically magical!

• posted by RubyG
    on

and the bluebells are in bloom at the moment 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m shouting at my laptop right now – on a corporate call about “sustainable eating” – eating for your health and that of the environment – some of what they are saying makes sense, a lot of it is drivel, and all of it is very preachy and self-righteous – Climatarian Diet – you heard it here first 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

and of course it’s promoting a program at only $xx per year for employees 🙁

• posted by RubyG
    on

apparently increasing portion sizes of pasta and rice, supplemented with calorie dense nuts and seeds will keep you fuller for longer, my questions on the chat about low carb for T2 remission were skipped over in favour of the party line, and intermittent fasting was dismissed as unnecessary – oh well ……………I won’t be signing up to their program anytime soon – rant over!

On a positive note, home grown asparagus (4 large spears so far) with purple-sprouting broccoli and some protein dragged out of the depths of the freezer = tonight’s supper.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Ruby have you read The Obesity Code by Jason Fung? It’s very interesting, I have also read a sample of his Diabetes Code, I’m toying with buying it but it is £10 something for the Kindle edition. It was from reading it that I found the final push to try the 24 hr fast. Which was easier than I expected. It left me 2 3/4lbs lighter and I am contemplating another one, maybe on Sunday.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Asparagus featuring in my dinner too but not home grown 😉

• posted by RubyG
    on

I haven’t ready Jason Fung no, he is on my rather extensive wishlist 🙂
    I have been doing 16:8 this week and feel good for it, I have dropped a pound or two since Monday. I have done a few 24hrs a few years back now, before I found BSD (but I was following a relatively low carb way of eating then too) – good luck!
    Hubby cannot (in his head) do any form of intermittent fasting or TRE, but he hasn’t actually tried it since leaving his carby ways so I think he would be fine, but what he does now works for him so that’s OK.

on

Very interesting RubyG. Where do these people think rice and nuts come from – China, India for the rice and South America, California, Spain and Turkey for the nuts. I suppose they are going to walk here to save air miles. The high carb diet came about for 2 reasons, one was the lack of other foods after the war but our carbs were usually home-grown not imported and secondly, meat went out of favour when an American President suffered from heart disease and was shown to have a very fat dense diet. Fortunately, research moves on but not actual knowledge by the sounds of it.

I didnt get my asparagus as they had sold out. Will try again tomorrow, it is only 2 minutes away so not too much fuel used.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    Yes Elle-Mae, Jason Fung was the real deal for me and I decided it was worth paying the price to get him on my Kindle .I am always on the look out for 99p books but they are mostly novels although I do find a few gems
    .Ruby , you could try a sample of “The complete guide to fasting” ? It is coming up as £7.12 for the kindle edition
    That advice on the Climatarian Diet is just plain stoopid in my view !!

I was glad to get back on track and completed my 48 hour early week fast .I went to yoga on Tuesday and my teacher found me low in energy which I hadn’t realised . So I picked up some multi vitamins and magnesium to perk me up post Covid .
    I understand how Lauren and Clare found it so tough to recuperate .
    Anyway good healthy greens , proteins are my priority and I haven’t been tempted by nut snacking so far .

We have our annual village fête happening tomorrow night , for the first time in two years .It’s a meal of duck ‘rillettes’ and a sort of veal stew which would not be my choice usually but it’s good to be involved in a village get together . The dessert is gâteau basque, an almond cake but hopefully there will be some cheese too .

Tomorrow I get my hair tidied up too which always feels nice .

Hi CG / Julia ! You are right. Small achievable goals are the way to go. Are you listening Clare ? 😉 Go easy on yourself after not being well . Good luck with your goals .We are all with you .
    The same goes for Lauren too . We are all thinking of you Lauren and hope you feel well enough to check in at some point .We will still be here rooting for you xx

Well done SG. We are used to your unwavering commitment and I am sure those few excess pounds will soon be history.
    Yes, V…. we will soon be in May .Unfortunately the bank holidays fall on Sunday this year (May 1st and 8th) so no day off for workers in France . There are others coming up at the end of the month though and Whit Monday .I used to love all the bank holidays in May !

So …Hoping this last week in April is going well or as well as you can manage .

Indeed Julia, birdsong at this time of year is truly magical !

• posted by RubyG
    on

To be honest, I should not have dialled in, but sometimes I feel I need to know what claptrap is being peddled, and in that respect I wasn’t disappointed.
    In defiance of the message, I had 3 slices of mutton fillet from the local farmers’ market 3 miles away (actual farm is 8 miles from me), garden asparagus, local-ish purple sprouting brocolli, and wild garlic pesto from foraged wild garlic (apologies for the Italian parmesan, Spanish olive oil and Californian walnuts) 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

Sunshine girl, thank you for your comments on my photos, I forgot to say the other day!

Everyone thank you for your good wishes, im not going to lie, I’m struggling a bit at the moment with several things but I’m trying to keep on!

On that note, I’m going to try fish again tomorrow (some will remember my history with fish!!) – was going to try salmon but I chickened out at the last minute so we’re having basa which I plan to do with pesto…..on that note Ruby, what’s your pesto recipe? I can only find some for huge quantities and I can’t work out the ratio of oil/nuts/herbs/Parmesan for a smaller amount and not in American measurements!! Like what is a cup of basil?? Is that a cup of individual leaves or chopped or with stems or what?! (I don’t have any wild garlic but I’m going to put in tarragon for a bit of a change!)

I’m going to try, again, tomorrow to get back on plan properly. I’ve been reading a book that Jason Fung contributed to (I’ve also read Obesity Code and Diabetes Code – I’m not quite as converted to him as some on here, I take a lot of what he says with a rather large pinch of salt as I think he does have quite a simplistic view of things – follow my plan and it’ll definitely work sort of thing which doesn’t really fit with all people in all lives, but he has some interesting points) – this book is about PCOS. Having recently been rediagnosed (was diagnosed in 20s, then undiagnosed and then rediagnosed) and trying to conceive, I’m struggling a lot. I’m currently not ovulating, and all the nurse could say to me was “oh dear, go away and lose some weight and your cycle “might” kick back in” – no idea how much weight, or guidance, I’ve now lost nearly three stone since Xmas by doing shakes, but I need to transition back to real food, I just can’t do it anymore. Anyway, this book (suggested by Wendy!) is basically describing a very low carb version (less than 20g a day) of the BSD, combined with elements of Fast 800 like TRE or IF, with only very moderate protein levels (0.6g per kg weight) and the rest made up with fat. This is similar to the low GI principles I was told about when first diagnosed in my 20s and all to do with insulin resistance so the science makes sense, but it’s all quite daunting to be honest, especially the suggestions for fat which are avocado (yuk), oily fish (yuk), olive oil or coconut oil (which are fine, but I don’t like my food drowning in oil, like I don’t really like salad dressing or putting oil on veg). Then she suggests no onions which is hard because I put onion in everything, limited tomatoes etc. definitely no fruit, not even berries. I’ve been struggling to work out what I could even eat but I have actually managed to work out a weeks meals that fit within the very tight macros, and I kept trying but failing to start this week (I’m still feeling very unwell) – but I think tomorrow could be the day.

I just want to say, i love you all! I know I’m not contributing much at the mo but I am reading everything and it’s helping to know you’re all there fighting in my corner and supporting each other xx

Lauren xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hang in there Lauren, and 3st is nothing to be sniffed at! That’s great!

Re. recipes – I don’t have one 🙁 I literally just blitz about half a carrier bag of wild garlic leaves, with a bag of walnuts from Lidl (again, blitzed) plus a whole piece of parmesan (grated, and again from Lidl) and sufficient good olive oil until I like the consistency. I realise that is not particularly helpful, sorry. If it is helpful at all, this makes about 1 x medium Ziploc bag full, squished flat and frozen – I then hack off chunks straight from the freezer to use in cooking.

Tarragon – can’t eat it – I was ill once and had eaten tarragon chicken and really struggle with it now.

Fish – I think basa is quite a neutral taste, or is it the texture you don’t like, or both? What about monkfish, more meaty texture and I don’t think a very fishy taste? I think you will struggle with oily fish – they are all quite strong-tasting.

I have spent an hour sorting out a grocery cupboard, I never did empty the cupboards of white carbs when we started this 18 months ago, so now have some slightly out of date white carbs to dispose of. I would eat them ordinarily, it’s not like dried pasta goes off, and BBD are like a challenge to me, but I know others are not like me. I also hate food waste – what to do?

• posted by florob85
    on

Ruby donate it to a local school for art supplies! Or crunch it up and use it as slug repellent in the garden, or cook it and compost it

Lol thanks re the pesto, I’ll just have a bash and see if I can work out a recipe that isn’t scarily high in calories!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Lauren I love fish!
    This is quite a nice fish recipe https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-3879344/Mary-Berry-s-super-suppers-Quick-Haddock-Tomato-Puy-Lentils.html and you could use any white fish. I make the recipe up to adding the fish and remove half the sauce and freeze it. There are only two of us so the whole recipe makes too much.
    I also make Thai red curry fish. Sometimes I use salmon or salmon and a white fish. It cooks very quickly and you can’t taste the fish!
    So while I’m here I’m almost back to my pre trip weight just 0.4lb to go. Hopefully by May1st I will be able to start on a downward path again.
    I think there are lots of us who will be glad to see April disappear so we can start afresh in May.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren- you’ve done so well…..that sounds really tricky with yet more advice to try and stick to, but all my fingers and toes crossed, I believe in you!! And hope you start to feel better soon xx
    Wendy….have you added vit D every day already? That’s one that Covid tends to upset too. Take it gently….it’s weird virus 😱😱….to put it politely!!
    I think I have to be quite strict with myself when trying to actually lose weight tbh….it’s going really well so far now I have set my mind to it…..then at maintenance I will again need to play around with reintroducing bits and working out what is sustainable.

And oh yeah, asparagus….yum!

Also…..visiting a bluebell wood is on my list for this weekend 😍

Love to all, Tulip xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks Verano x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Lauren
    You have done wonderfully well losing 3 stone since Christmas. I think dieting can only work for anyone if they like the food, eating stuff that you know is good for you but not enjoying it is not sustainable. You need to satisfy your brain as well as fill your stomach. I am lucky in that I enjoy most of the things on the Mediterranean/fast/keto diet. Although not a huge fish fan, but like salmon, smoked mackerel, fiance doesn’t eat fish at all, but works with it 🤣🤣🤣. So I only have fish for lunch or when he isn’t here cos he is working.
    Bluebells always make me smile.

on

Hi everyone, Lauren I really cant do fish except tinned tuna and meaty white fish like cod or haddock. Cant stand the smell for one thing. That includes sea foods like prawns, mussels etc. Yes, I think you need to get back onto real food. Shakes only work in the short term and they did their job for you but it is not a sustainable way of life.

I tried getting back into Yoga with Adriene this morning. I got quite flexible a couple of years ago then stopped doing it when the pool open. Well, I can hardly move even though we spent the first 5 mins sitting and breathing. It is a 30 course so I am hoping to see some improvement in the coming weeks. After a shower and clean clothes I decided to go outside and do some pot planting. There was a plastic sack on the floor which I thought great for standing on instead of the soil. Splosh, it was full of last years soil and hubby had watered the plants this morning so it was also swamped with water. I have mud up my legs, on my jumper and even in my hair. Cant say much about the sandals but they might end up in the bin.

Hey ho, I will do more another day. Did manage to get one pot out.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

I just wanted to post this from Dr Chattergee’s weekly email because it really resonates with me ……
    “If you do nothing else this week…
    Write yourself a love letter. For each Friday Five throughout April, I’ve been sharing an actionable tip from my new book, Happy Mind, Happy Life.
    A really useful practice to help cultivate self-compassion is to write a letter to yourself. I have seen the transformative effects of this time and time again, but some people find it a challenging exercise to do initially. If that sounds like you, try this to start with: in a journal or on a blank piece of paper, write down five qualities you like about yourself. For example, I am honest, I am kind, I am always there for my friends etc. Once you have the qualities written down, you could try expanding each one by writing a line or two about an example from your life where you demonstrated that quality. Write with compassion, warmth and forgiveness.
    I recommend repeating this exercise regularly – even once a week can have a powerful effect. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.”

• posted by florob85
    on

Evening all, just wanted to update on the fish adventure……yep no I still can’t do fish. Went to so much effort to make my own pesto, in a pestle and mortar and not a blender, did the basa fillets in butter which I wouldn’t normally do but I thought it’d add more flavour, slathered the pesto over the fillet, took one tiny bite and nearly threw up. Revolting. Think I’ll have to give up on fish! Steamed broccoli and creamed leeks it is for dinner then!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

You could do the pesto on chicken next time Lauren. Chicken beaten down to make it thin, topped with pesto instead of a tomato base, sauted onion and peppers, topped with cheese like a pizza or as I am planning later in the week using mince as a base instead of the chicken. Going to also put a few slices of chorizo on it too and serve with homemade coleslaw, or if feeling lazy get fiance to bring some coleslaw home from work.
    Spicy bean chilli for tonight. My fiance bought me 100% chocolate for Easter, it wasn’t pleasant do put a bit into the chilli!

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks Elle-Mae, I do do pizza chicken quite often so that’s probably how I’ll use up the pesto!

A funny story from the pesto though – as I’d smothered it on the fish I didn’t really taste it, so I say to my darling husband Craig “is it ok, is the balance ok between the ingredients?” He says “um yea” sounding dubious, so I say “you don’t know what’s in pesto do you?” He says, “yep it’s a pesto plant” 😂

Also wanted some advice. Does anyone have any idea of anything that can help with a tickly throat and cough that doesn’t involve syrups, honey, sugar, cough sweets etc?? Menthol, eucalyptus, hot drinks, steam, water, is doing zip all and I’m losing my mind. This Covid or cold or whatever it is I’ve got now is lingering endlessly, I can’t sleep for coughing, I’ve got a constant headache from the cough, burst blood vessels in my eyes. I’m going mad! Don’t want to resort to syrups etc as I’m really trying to be good but I’m running out of willpower!

L x

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

Lauren
    Re your tickly throat & cough. Hubby used to use a nutri-bullet of about 1/2 a large tin (400gm? half of)of pineapple (you could use about 200gms of a whole pineapple whizzed up – around 20carbs though) with a piece of ginger about the size of your whole thumb (cleaned & peeled) a desert-spoonful (15gms) of lime juice. Whiz it all up & drink it. He can’t remember who told him about it BUT it worked well for him. If you are low carbing then 🙁

This is what works for both of us. I HOPE I’m allowed to post the link? https://www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk/hay-fever/chlorphenamine – It’s an old style antihistamine that the Pharmaceutical Factory I worked at produced. I used to test & handle all customer complaints – It was ALWAYS made peeps sleepy. fullstop. Take it at night. Me & hubby both swear by it. It’s what he uses before he reaches for an epipen. The docs told him to. It is now well out of patent BUT we bought enough to last us years, just in case. I did test some VERY aged ones & all I can say is I was amazed & happy at how much product was still active. HTH

• posted by florob85
    on

Linda thank you, I’d never think to use chlorphenamine but I guess it makes sense – not just because it’s an anti-histamine but because it makes you sleepy, so I suppose it suppresses the cough reflex. Codeine does as well thinking about it, I’ve got some co-codamol in, maybe I’ll try that. Failing that it’ll be up to the pharmacy to buy some Nytol (diphenhydramine – stronger chlorphenamine basically) tomorrow!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren- I’m having a tea of fresh rosemary, lemon, ginger root and local raw honey daily…it’s my only non-MM food because I’m trying to help my sore throat (ongoing 3 months now- so I can’t play my clarinet 😕)….

Covid cough is horrible, hope it passes soon!! xxx

• posted by Natalie
    on

You can add me to the list of households that don’t do fish! My son quite likes it, but I only like salmon occasionally (a couple of times a year) and my husband and daughter won’t touch it. We do all find the smell quite offensive, no matter how fresh!
    I hope everyone’s “long COVID” symptoms clear up soon. Coughs are tricky, because once your throat is that irritated and damaged the cough will be self-perpetuating. You might need some kind of suppressant so it can heal.

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

No Fish?? OMG I LOVE fish!
    Have you all tried Smoked Salmon – the thin slices – it’s to die for! Dover Sole, Lemon Sole or maybe Prawns – the little ones, Scallops I don’t think really taste like fish, delicious just cooked lightly. I love flounder (gotta be a huge one) & soft shell crabs in the US.
    Fish has to be REALLY fresh to taste good, straight off the boat is wonderful or failing that go for frozen. I hate going to the supermarkets that have fish stalls & you can smell the fish. To me that means they are stale & it WILL put you off eating them. Myself I can’t eat fish that smells like fish – so maybe that’s the problem?? Go with frozen fish from somewhere like Marks or Aldi does some good ones. Salmon probably is the hardest for non fish eaters to stomach as it does have quite a strong taste. Smoked Salmon however doesn’t really taste like ‘normal’ salmon so try it. With some cream cheese it’s to die for. You can make your own smoked salmon pate or mousse very easily – use instead of hummus – delicious!

Nothing better than a fish finger sarnie with tomato Ketchup & butter. You ain’t lived unless you’ve tried one. OMG it’s been SO long since the last time we had one. Hubby keeps saying “Why don’t you buy just 1 pack of those thick ones & a loaf of bread?” I think he’s missing my fish finger sarnies. lol

• posted by Verano
    on

Ahh Linda a girl after my own heart! I was starting to despair thinking I’m the only fish lover on this forum!
    Smoked salmon on cream cheese with a drizzle of lemon and some cracked black pepper on a crispbread yes it is to die for!
    You’re absolutely right fresh fish has no smell, apart from the sea if it’s really fresh. We have a mobile fish monger who calls each week with fish straight from the trawlers…. no ‘smell’ at all. Yes, I agree frozen fish is a better alternative than supermarket fish. I never buy supermarket fish it’s too ‘fishy’/ not fresh.
    In fact last night I made veal in a mushroom masala sauce for my OH and I had the sauce on sea bass it was lovely, especially with mashed cauliflower and roasted English asparagus. I adore asparagus.
    Lauren could the awful taste have been the pesto? Pesto is a really strong flavour to put on delicate fish. Or maybe it’s just the texture of the fish in which case you won’t ever like fish!
    Anyway, all this talk of food has made me hungry so I’m off to have some breakfast, yogurt within hot stewed rhubarb and a few walnuts.

• posted by florob85
    on

😂😂 I seem to have started fish wars, I love it 😂

Linda I have to say I am partial to a fishfinger sandwich…..but I think that’s the bread, the ketchup, the breadcrumb coating…..rather than the fish! I will eat cod or haddock but only if it’s breaded (or little squares in a plastic pack smothered in butter sauce) – all too much carbs sadly!

V it’s everything for me, texture, taste, smell – my dad doesn’t like fish and I think I inherited his taste, my mum and sister could be sharks the way they’ll gobble it down!

I actually thought my tickle had gone away this morning, I made it to almost 8am before I started coughing up a lung! Off to the pharmacy today!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

fish 😍….I love it too! 😋😋😋….no real suggestions Lauren- unless you try making your own fish fingers in a coating with a base of ground almonds and spices or something, like you would do for chicken?….not sure I can make up for the bread or tomato sauce tho 🤔🤔
    re-kindling the BSD is going quite well at the moment…..and I feel a bit better physically for it (I’m also trying to get more sleep to so that will also help). I’m not always on super low calories but am definitely not eating any off-plan food at all, except for the honey for the throat.

Love to all xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I don’t want to interrupt the fish discussion but I am going to attempt to set up the new thread for the week .
    SG stand by in case it refuses me again !

• posted by wendleg
    on

WOO HOO it worked !

The May thread is up and running folks !

Please log in or register to post a reply.