2020 What’s your ‘Vision’ for the coming year?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hope everyone has had great celebrations and is looking forward to the New Year.
    So I guess that means it’s ‘that’ time of the year again when we look back over the year and forward to the next …. 2020 …. it has such a lovely ‘ring’ to it!
    A time to reflect, review and renew.
    2019 was such a mixed year for me but I guess that’s ‘life’ and nothing runs in a straight line. It started with a bang, well actually a ‘fall’ on January 2nd, hospitalisation, surgery and many weeks of recovery. But, I believe something good comes out of everything, and sure enough I ended up without a leg length difference for the first time in over 10 years.
    I’ve been very fortunate to have been able to travel quite a bit this year but that also has a flip side. It’s been very difficult to get into a routine food wise but I’ve managed to stay true to the BSD principles, in the main. In 2018 I gained 25lbs but have only lost a handful of those this year. Still, I remain drug free with my T2 in remission so that counts as a success for me.
    And so to 2020!
    Following WoodDuckies thinking of changing negative language I’m not making ‘Resolutions’, promises to myself to do or not to do something, this year, as they are so easily broken. Instead I have a ‘Vision’, a mental image of who/what/where I want to be.
    I was reading somewhere that it’s such a waste of time and emotions staring at pictures of ‘perfect bodies’ and wishing to be like that. Rather, it’s better take a photo of yourself at ‘your’ best and aim for that again. That’s reality!
    So for my ‘Vision’ for 2020. I found a photo of myself taken two years ago when I was at my lowest weight for many years and I looked a picture of health and happiness and so that’s where I’m headed.
    My ‘Ambition’ is to discard the extra 20lbs or so that I gained in 2018. I have the tools, I know I can do it because I’ve done it before!
    So here’s to 2020 let it be peaceful, happy and healthy. I wish you all that you wish for yourself. Happy New Year!
    What’s your ‘Vision’?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi V, I like the idea of this thread. – I saw a post on the Dr Fung facebook group today from someone who was celebrating the first New Year where they will not be making a resolution to loose weight because they had reached their target. That’s where I want to be in 12 months time.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi V ! Hi JGwen ! I am not at target…not even sure what that target is. I will see how I go when I get back “home” and into work routine. I think realistically I would like to discard another stone but it is very slow going these days. It does however feel good not to feel despondent and down about myself as January beckons. I have had many dismal New Year moments just feeling totally overwhelmed and disappointed in my half hearted attempts at sorting my weight out. I am getting there….and definitely feel I can sustain this woe so on I will go in 2020. 6 months left before I retire and I too plan to be as fit and healthy as I possibly can.. Thank you for all your support .This forum gave me the motivation I desperately needed. Don’t ever give up folks….we can do this xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Wendy and JGwen good to hear your ‘Visions’.
    It must be wonderful to no longer need to lose weight at the start of a year, or any other time for that matter ….. maybe one day!
    Wendy what a wonderful ‘Vision’ to have ….. retirement ….. will be here before you know it.
    We can only do the best we can do to achieve our ambitions ….. and we will!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Once again, you have come up with an excellent theme for a thread Verano and the idea of ‘visions’ rather than ‘resolutions’ I’m sure will resonate with many of us.

Looking back over 2019, like you, I have been lucky enough to do a fair amount of travelling. However, my mistake was not tackling a weight gain head-on, immediately after returning from our extended trip to Turkey in the spring. So there was a subsequent addition to that in India and whilst the total gain isn’t huge, I’m fearful of it being the thin end of the wedge.

So like you, my vision for 2020 is to deal with the excess pounds. Really want to be back at target weight again and so plan to return to BSD basics to get there. Love the idea of finding a photo of yourself at your desired weight to work toward, so I’ll be unashamedly stealing your idea!

On a non-weight related topic, I also have a vision of nurturing my spiritual side during the coming year. Have a few ideas, but they still need fleshing out. Beginning to gather tools and resources though.

I’m sure you will be able to make progress towards that additional stone Wendy, because you are right – we can do this! You are going to enjoy your retirement I’m sure.

Anyway, all possible best wishes to one and all for 2020, may it bring only good things your way.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Im not good with” visions”.I think that I lack imagination.A photo of me at my vision size would be 20 years old and I wouldn’t find it relevant I’m more practical so Im going to measure my self and think about health and fitness as my main focus.Im basically lazy so I need to walk daily and settle into a good routine.Happy New year to Everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny I think that a ‘good’ photo for me will be far more inspiring than a ‘bad’ one, which would only depress me rather than motivate me! Last year I took a twelve month subscription to a well know meditation app. I only used it sporadically and when it came up for renewal a few weeks ago I wasn’t sure what to do. Anyway, I decided to continue as I’ve found it really useful but need to be more consistent. I don’t know what your vision of your spiritual side is but I wish you well nurturing it.
    Butterlover I also lack imagination which is why I need a photo! The idea of ‘vision’ only came to me really when I came across a photo from a couple of years ago. Measuring is a great idea and maybe you have a dress or something that you would like to fit into again. You could keep it in view as your ‘vision’ of where you would like to be in the future.
    So here we go, new decade, new year, new month, new week and new day on the horizon. We can only be the best we can be …… Happy New Year!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

For all sorts of reasons, I’ve been really struggling with getting back into the swing of things this year. So, I thought I’d backtrack a bit and start 2020 again by setting my vision and goals – it might help me be clear what I need to do month by month – and putting them here, hopefully, I’ll be able to find them again later

My history is I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2016. I did the BSD, put my diabetes into remission and lost 6 stone. In 2018, I regained over 2 stone, started the BSD again and by the end of last year I was back into a healthy BMI. (I’m currently 9st 2lb). My diabetes has remained in remission throughout and I’m confident about being able to continue to manage that.

What I’m not as confident about is maintaining the overall lifestyle changes that underpin that. Although always low carb, my diet isn’t as healthy as it was at the start, and last year I was away from home a lot which disrupted my exercise routines. (Mind, I’m home now and I’m still stop- starting!)

So, for 2020 my goals are:
    1. to be consistent with my physical activity and exercise – week in, week out
    2. to eat healthily and nutritiously – getting the most bang for my buck from my food – I think someone said this in the BSD book
    3. follow a maintenance programme to keep my weight steady – similar to Theodora’s routine
    • weigh Mon, Wed and Fridays
    • drink lots of water
    • keep physically active and exercise,
    • time restricted eating 18:6 or 16:8
    • 1 weekly 36 hr fast – Sunday evening until Tuesday morning – I’ve done this before but only as one-offs, not consistently
    4. Do it all with a light touch

My vision, as an older woman, is to be strong, heathy, free-moving and full of energy. If I can get back there in 2020, I’ll be delighted.
    My motto is .. just do it!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

An inspiring post Jennie! Thank you. I too am older, so your vision really resonates with me. Your goals too are just what I need to do also ( tho may not do 36hr fast). I was going to skip my exercise session tomorrow but your post has reminded me that I need to go!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That’s quite a To Do list Jenny! You sound very determined and focused, so I’m confident you will be able to maintain successfully and improve your health further.
    Exercise is my nemesis and is something I definitely need to work on, so will borrow a little of your motivation if that’s okay! My current driving force is a dress I’m determined to get into properly …. it fits with some bulges at present and they have to go.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Jennie 10
    Wow you’re doing so well! We can forget to pat ourselves on our backs and forget to see how successful we have been! So a huge Well Done!
    I do know what you mean… it can be hard sometimes to ‘stick with’ even the most suitable diet of way of life eating patterns!
    But look at Dr Clare Bailey’s recipe book that has lots of additional suitabell recipes and would perhaps give a fresh list of items and a renewed approach!
    I have kept roughly to 9st 2lb for too long, but I lost 2 stone and have one stone to go!
    But I went to Australia and had an amazing month of such wonderful experiences, but it was hard to comfortably use my sister’s kitchen, so I just accepted the served up evenings food … but the rum marmalade and rum choc sauce were too hard to resist!
    Although I came back 9st 6lb I’ve made a good dent in that, and have returned to my simple eating version of the 4wk diet… even just now had some rhubarb (with goji / saltanas) with ginger a few walnuts and yohurt, plus a spoonful of nutrition mix! 😀 (goji flax seeds etc)
    I love the food mixes and this really helps. I know today I’m back restarting my DIY so it’s a mix of determination to keep on track and look forward to the delicious recipes! 😀

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Merry, Sunny and Aurora – and thanks for such lovely, supportive messages.
    Sorry, I haven’t responded sooner. We had some seriously bad news late Monday to do with our house and I’ve spent all week ’til yesterday afternoon trying to sort things out. Anyway, last night I decided I mustn’t let things derail me from my plans on here.

Merry – hope you got to your exercise class. About the 36 hr fast, yes, it’s a bit of an experiment. I’ve heard a few people on here say it helps manage their appetite to do a regular fast so thought it would be good for maintenance. The 36hr is because I thought it might kick start autophagy – I’ve always liked the idea of getting rid of some of my bits of wrinkly skin! – but I’ll see how that one goes!

Sunny – I do like a good dress – that would definitely motivate me, too. Hope this week has gone well and those bulges are a little bit less.

Aurora – thanks for the tip about Dr Claire Bailey’s book. I have got it somewhere but haven’t really used it so I’ll dig it out. I really like the dietdoctor.com site so I’ve been trying some of their recipes recently. Some are great but I find some of them too rich for me so l’ll definitely give it a go. It’s great to hear how much you enjoyed your Australia trip – and I’m amazed you only put on a few pounds.

Thanks again for the support – it really helps.
    Jennie xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Jennie … sorry to read you have had some bad news this week, but well done on not allowing it to derail you with your eating. Must say, it sounds like you are doing better than I am at present. I have had an iffy week with no real progress made, which is annoying, but largely of my own making of course. Too scared to try on the dress at present, but pretty certain nothing has changed bulgewise!

Anyway, not giving in and determined to make today count. Was reading my little book of quotes last evening and I figured this ancient Buddhist one is worth sharing again.

“If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.”

Have a great BSD weekend.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi SunnyB
    Sorry I’m so late in responding, I’ve not been back on the forum since the 7th Feb, but wanted to say that’s a great quote – just exactly what I need to hear right now. It’s going into the front of my new (second) BSD notebook.
    Thanks.
    Jennie xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad you like it Jennie, really hope it helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.