2 weeks until Christmas !!! Make a weekly pledge …beginning 10th December 201

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I don’t know if you agree with me but I wonder if enthusiasm is waning right now as Christmas approaches and it’s difficult to get motivated to make changes with upcoming temptations ???

How do you want to feel in the New year ? I have had some dismal Januaries ….never want to feel like that again.

So we can start to put good habits in place now. Pledge not to eat nibbles, crisps , biscuits, snacky stuff if they are calling out to you ?
    Simple changes now can lead to long lasting victories

I am eating too much choc again …

Come and join me ?

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I don’t know if it counts as “enthusiasm” but I have not had any mince pies/Stollen or Xmas cake. And really not tempted. I have however put on 2 kgs since Sept. Not so much down to carbage (tho there has been some), just I think bigger portions and wine o’clock. And cheese. And OK cheese on digestive biscuits…I did say I would knuckle back down in Jan, my BSD first anniversary. But am out of digestive biscuits now and will NOT BUY ANY MORE! Christmas will be a small gathering; we are passing on turkey and trimmings and going for a large seafood platter – with salad! No crisps, and nibbles will be cornichons. I WILL get rid of those two remaining turkeys in 2020!

• posted by Verano
    on

I am sort the of with you. Wendy after reading your list of carbs/calories in the usual Xmas food I have been having second thoughts what I will choose to eat ….. no mindless eating here with my new mantra!
    Will keep in touch and hope there will be more ‘enthusiastic ‘ travellers joining in.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendleg, have just realised the overlap between your ID on the forum and 6T. I tried to think of a relevant joke about turkey legs but its too early in the morning. 🙂

I am here, but feeling a little under pressure at present. I always make the mistake of making a list of things to do by specific occasions, especially Christmas, which seem like a sensible workload at the time but then I end up working late into the night and starting early to try to reach the targets until I get so stressed because its obvious that it isn’t going to happen.

A few years ago we had snow before Christmas. The road was clear but where the snow fell on my drive it had thawed and refrozen to form sheet ice. When snow is likely I park my car at the bottom of the drive, but that still leaves me with a difficult walk The sections where I can divert to walk across the fields isn’t too bad, but the bottom section of the drive is steep, fenced on both sides so I had to tackle the shopping using a ruck sack and the fencing as a hand hold for each step. – It was really liberating. There I was in the supermarket surrounded by people who loading up multiple trolleys and my shopping for christmas was just a layer at the bottom of the trolley. With every item I picked up I considered if I liked it enough to make an extra run with a rucksack to bring it up to the house. (There was a thaw forecast for boxing day, so I only needed essentials to keep me going until after Christmas. ) I saved so much money and wasn’t still eating up “goodies” left over from christmas for months. So I am applying the same process to Christmas this year, Planning in detail the meals I will have and only buying those rather than wandering around a supermarket looking for “goodies”.

I am thinking about calculating how much money I save this year by not splurging on the shopping for christmas and spending it on something bigger that I want to do. Who’s on for doing the same? Focusing not on what can’t have, but instead focusing on alternatives to food?

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi wendleg, Just popping in to say I’m still here – just quiet. Still plugging on to have some wriggle room in my healthy range before Christmas Day. No new pledge this week – still sticking with no wine, salted peanuts and bed before midnight – though there have been a few slip ups!

JGwen, thank you for reminding us of the importance of planning. There are so many pressures to buy just one more sugary treat. I shall aim for a few healthy luxuries – North Sea shrimps and good smoked salmon are high on the list. I’m with you, remaining2turkeys, on loving seafood.

Also wanted to say a big thank you to wendleg (and some others – you know who you are!) for all the enthusiasm and encouragement you have given to us this year. Have a lovely Christmas. X

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Thanks Wendy for starting the thread.
    My pledge is no more bread in December. No more baking soda bread, which I eat far too much of. I’m going to have an eggy treat every morning instead.
    I bought a cookbook from Hemsley sisters, the recipes seem very low carb or easy to adapt. I’m going to plan Christmas with this in mind. I love cooking especially stews so winter is my favourite time because everyone loves a hearty meal.
    JGwen I love the thought of choosing each item that goes into your trolley.
    We shop with baskets. What we put into the basket we will have to carry home so we start with the heaviest items like cabbage and potatoes, then yoghurt and butter then choose extra veg. It takes a few trips for all the liquids we drink, sparkling water, milk, wine and beer.
    This year we have not bought a Christmas pudding yet and we probably won’t eat one unless it’s offered.
    Biscuits aren’t in the basket so not in the cupboard either. When I’m searching for a snack I prefer a few peanuts with a glass of wine. Caronl, what do you have instead?

If I find a good tasty stew I’ll put it up on the Good eats board.
    Update on my exercise bike, I took a break as my thighs were aching a lot. I’m mixing it up with walking and stretching. I’ll start again today.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Patricia1066,

One particular example still sticks with me from that one session. There was a couple I was moving around the final rows of shelves of the supermarket at a similar pace to. He was pushing one trolley which was filled to the max, both of them were pulling a trolley heaped to the same level, and she was pushing a fourth trolley that they were putting items into. Whoever they were doing the shopping for it wasn’t for a large group, because when you are feeding a big group you bulk buy ingredients so everyone is offered the same and they were discussing what they fancied rather than discussing what would work for the group.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I could really imagine that scene JGwen. Even in London, where everybody is no more than 5 mins walk away from large supermarket, and they are closed for all of 48 hours, you see people shopping as if rationing was about to be introduced. I’m sure i have previously over-shopped as well, but I would wonder now why people want pate and pie and ham seemingly as just in case add-ons….Caronl, I am going for M&S seafood platter; it has prawns, crab and lobster, plus will also get some smoked salmon.. I fancy some oysters but don’t have a proper shucking knife thing and wouldn’t want to end up in A&E with an inappropriate implement-induced injury….

• posted by wendleg
    on

I reckon we have got this Christmas malarkey cracked !! Some very good advice and intentions ! Just don’t buy them is my way of dealing with ‘goodies’, Always remembering what V said recently If it’s not going to do you good, then leave it out !

“Posh” foods like smoked salmon and seafood sound a lovely treat . Oysters are standard festive fare here 6T, as you know but I have only ever had to eat them, not risk opening them ! I have seen some spectacular sea food platters here !

My sister in law has asked me to put her on the “straight and narrow” 😉 so she agreed to start by not buying any crackers, biscuits, nibbles, the sort of stuff that finds its way onto buffet tables, I call it fake food !! So none of that nonsense.

Good quality meat and poultry for those that eat it and some lovely veggie dishes. Oh…and the best lettuces I can find 😉

I am going to see how I can tart up some greens !!

No way are we going to be frantically trawling the supermarket aisles with a glazed look on our faces as we grab any old rubbish

YesJGwen ..planning is the way to go.

Keep telling us how you are planning to negotiate the supermarkets 😉

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I read some great advice today for those who might be WAITING to start the BSD as a New Years resolution (is that you?😊):
    No marathon runner ever steps up to the start line in a race without training. You should do the same with your New Year resolutions — use the next couple of weeks as your trial period! You don’t have to do it perfectly, you can still have a beloved Christmas treat, but go ahead and start practicing as much as possible — you aren’t going to fail because you are just practicing!
    And when the New Year arrives, you will have a good understanding of what needs to be done, and most likely, have WAY less to atone for than if you had just partied as if there was no tomorrow all through the festive season.
    Start today!!!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Well said CG. I dread to think where I might have been had I not made my, albeit at times inconsistent, steps on BSD at the start of the year. Eightturkeys?
    Thinking in more detail for Xmas Day: seafood platter (even minus oysters…) is drawing me to a sort of 1920s vibe (without the flapper dresses and charleston…). I saw a nice looking recipe in a weekend Times supplement for a cocktail: tangerine or orange sorbet; gin/vodka or tequila; prosecco; whizzed up in blender. I am going to get some cocktail glasses. Quail’s eggs; melon and parma ham; seafood (I’m going to look out for some langoustines as well); salad (I am thinking of chicory/watercress/fennel) and then elderflower and berry jelly. So a feast but without the stodge!

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Good morning ladies,
    I’ve always wondered at people who stock up on food whenever the shops are going to shut for a day or in some cases here, half a day. I have never been in that situation but I have been guilty of filling the trolley with junk food😔. In just a normal shop.
    Now days I use a basket and park quite aways from the shop so that I have to consider if I can or want to lug heavy bags to my car or not.
    I’ll be going to my daughter’s for Xmas and will stick to eating the good stuff, no chips, no carb enriched foods, well that’s the plan anyway.
    Californiagirl I love that advice about the marathon runner ,it’s so true..when I first started this lifestyle a couple of years ago I did exactly that, slowly worked my way up to cutting carbs out..it worked for me. So if there are new people coming to join us do it that way if u are struggling, it gets easier as you go.
    Six turkeys your cocktail sounds yummy 😁..I have discarded 1kg in a week ..had a couple of setbacks and probably could have discarded a teeny bit more but a kilo is good 🤸 it’s still better than putting it on. Well all you lovely people I have some more work out in the garden calling out to me so I’m off…
    Have a great day/night wherever u may be ☺️❤️

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Six turkeys, your feast sounds amazing! And the cocktail also sounds great — let us know how that turns out!
    Waitaminute, your strategy for shopping is perfect! I love that you have to decide if it is worth lugging all the way out to the car. It reminds me of JGwens post about her driveway and icy conditions, and how she only could take what she could bring up on her rucksack.😂
    All these good strategies! They add up over time!

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi folks, just dropping by to say that I’m still here for the scary Christmas countdown.

I’m sticking with my meditation and HIIT exercise, but this week adding in fasting because I need a little burst ahead of Christmas itself. So shall aim for at least a couple of 36 hour fasts. Fingers crossed I can go a whisker longer, but let’s see how I feel.

And I am amazed that so many of you northern hemisphere people are doing seafood platters for Christmas. I thought that was a real southern hemisphere thing. But I guess when we all have good heating or airconditioning, it really can be about what we fancy rather than what tradition and weather dictates.

Good luck everyone, Elky

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, some good ideas for Xmas treats that are low carb and how to avoid the rubbish we tend to eat. I am afraid I cannot claim to be perfect but I just dont like a lot of the things that are eaten at Christmas. I hate C cake and mince pies or stollen but love cheese and that is okay with a couple of oat cakes. Wendleg, do you think we have it easy here as I never see the things we would have in the UK although there is no shortage of Buche de Noel – again, I dont have a sweet tooth. I am going back to the UK for 10 days and I know what my downfall will be. Yes, booze, but besides that it is pork pie. I just love it. I always tell daughter not to buy one but she always does as everyone else loves it too. For me Xmas dinner will be fois gras on oat cakes with fig confit, then the full turkey roast except I wont have any potatoes but love brussel sprouts cooked with chestnuts, for desert hubby will have C pudding – again, something I hate. I will probably make a strawberry pavlova. I know meringue is sugar but it will be a small piece with lots of strawberries or winter berries, depending on what we can get fresh. SiL loves making cocktails but I see how much sugar syrup goes in most of them. I will stick with dry white wine or vodka and slimline. Wow, I feel as though I have eaten it already.

Got my blood test tomorrow,a day early so I am sure of getting my results in time for Mondays doctors appointment. I am running at around 5.5 on the daily tests but know they are always lower than the main HbA1c and expect to be around 6.0 – 6.5. Will let you know how it all goes. Have a great week everyone. Dont give up yet, we still have 13 days to make a difference.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    I too am not a lover of Christmas cakes, puddings or any of the stuff laden with dried fruits and stodge ugghh.. but cheese is another thing all together I luuurrrve it. Cheesecake is my downfall so instead of giving that up I use the cheesecake recipe I found on here ages ago .it’s so lush. I will be making some at my daughter’s for Chrissie dinner.
    Elly I too thought it strange that the northern hemisphere people would be into the seafood as much as the are..just goes to show what great taste we all have 😁
    Californiagirl I agree all our strategies add up and if it helps someone else in the process then we are on a winner 😁
    Have a great day/night wherever u may be ☺️❤️

on

Hi all, had blood taken at 9am this morning so waiting for my results – hang on, email just arrived. Okay – HbA1c 6.8 (was 6.7), total cholesterol 2.02 (was 2.04) total incl HDL 4.3 (same) and triglycerides 1.51 (was 1.80). So all good. Weight down 7lbs. Going out for a meal tomorrow lunchtime. This will be my first break from the diet and I might just have a couple of glasses of wine. Then to doctor on Monday so hope I dont do any damage to the weight.

Waitaminute, we are having people housesitting for us while we are away and I cook them a meal and usually buy a dessert that I cannot have so I am making a cheesecake using marscapone with lime (a sort of key lime pie) but I am doing a base of oats and nuts. Is this like your recipe. I think the thing with Christmas pud and cake is the stodge but I also cannot stand all that dried fruit, especially candid peel. Just the smell puts me off.

Have a good weekend everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Oops I just read back over my last post.. I meant Elky not Elly 😕..sorry
    Yes Sunshine Girl that’s one of the cheesecakes it’s very nice ☺️☺️.
    I’m glad all your results were good.
    Hope you enjoy your lunch and if you do any damage to your weight I’m sure it will only be minor, and can be easily fixed ☺️☺️.
    I made cloud bread yesterday I don’t know if it’s just me or what, but I don’t find it too great for sandwiches.The person who made the recipe suggested it was fine, but mine fell to bits so it was a cheese and egg um well a crumble really instead of a sandwich. Still edible but disappointing. Has anyone else had success with it as a sandwich?
    Where is everyone ???
    Enjoy your day/night wherever u may be ☺️❤️

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g great news all round! Keep on keeping on ………..

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI everyone .It is quiet but I think something has gone wrong .my last 2 posts seem to have been lost.Anyway its too hot to do much 41degrees for the next two days.we are staying inside aircon on and plenty of drinks.the problem is the hot weather means I cant be bothered with proper meals and I want icecream.So far Ive managed with a big bowl of cold crunchy lettuce but last night I ate the lindt chocolate balls that I bought for christmas day.Ive not done any gift shopping .the tree is in its box.I haven’t got a turkey or ham. So starting monday The forcast is 31degrees and I can get it all done in a couple
    Of days.I hope all of you are focussed on loved ones and not so much on food.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am here folks, just busy but I will have time to catch up this weekend .
    Resist the ice cream and choc in the meantime, Butterlover !!!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

congratulations, sunshine-girl, smashing to hear you’ve got great results again!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !

First of all I must thank Jennie 10 for bumping up the lovely Low Carb recipes thread ! I have spent a good while copying and pasting inspirational recipe ideas! I think it was luvtocook who voiced how she was concerned low carb would get boring and repetitive….until she found so many delicious low carb recipes and wow, they are amazing !

Luvtocook and Esnecca should be on Masterchef ( or whatever the US equivalent is !!) Those classy ladies sure can cook !

Wish Esnecca was still posting 🙁

So how are you all doing ? Not panicking I hope ? I am having a very lazy weekend after the manic silliness of this last week

• posted by wendleg
    on

The thread is

Good eats ….the low carb way

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done SG on your results ….your efforts are paying off .
    I hope everyone is having a good weekend. xxx

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Thanx for the Megan Ramos thread Wendleg it’s good to refresh our strategies every now and then.
    Has anyone made the low carb ice cream I’ve heard about somewhere on these forums? If so what is it like??
    When I was here lurking ages ago I used to love reading Esnecca’s posts. There are some really informative people here, and you all kept me motivated, thank you all for that.
    Butterlover, the heat certainly does stop you from wanting to eat, it hasn’t been as hot here in Tassie as on the big island 😁😁 but as soon as it warms up I find myself picking at food so I have to make sure that I have nothing too carby in the house otherwise I know id fill up on rubbish. Now that hubby is in another state it’s easier because all the junk has not been here to nibble on though so that helps, as I won’t buy any.
    I’m going to have a look at Jennie 10’s low carb recipes now so enjoy your day/night wherever u may be ☺️❤️

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    Last Week at school before the holidays and fortunately not as hectic as last Week despite appointments with parents over 5 days.

That’ s interesting that you are in Tassie, Waitaminute. There are a few members from Tasmania on the forum ( EC) but they have gone a bit quiet. One lovely lady lived at the foot of Mount Wellington/Kunanyi .My hubby’s daughter lives just outside Sorrell and we visited 2 years ago. You live in an absolutely stunning place and we can’t wait to go back ( when I retire 😉

Now folks today is Monday 16th December. I am around until Saturday when I go to the Uk for 2 weeks. YIPPEEEE ! I am happy to exchange with anyone who wants to post between now and Saturday and then I might not be able to host for a short while until I get back early January.
    Is that Ok ?

I will set up a new thread for this coming week ….Monday to Saturday anyway and I will check in when I can after that xxx
    Wendy xx

on

Had a good visit to my gorgeous doctor, he was very pleased with me. I feel like a schoolgirl always wanting to please him. He was really happy with my results plus my BP was right down and I had lost 2.5kg since my last visit. That is my last medical, blood test, chiropodist, dentist visit for this year. Off to UK on Thursday so will probably bow out for now. Hope everyone continue with their success and has a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I find the schoolgirl /gorgeous doctor pleasing narrative disturbing.

on

sixturkeys, it is an ongoing joke – not disturbing at all. Although it does sound a bit creepy.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Well that’s reassuring! Paternalistic medicine is hopefully now firmly relegated to the long-distant past. It did sound a bit creepy tho…I was also so cross on that day; I have a family member in hospital paediatrics; a 3 year old had died shortly after admittance on the ward because a GP had completely missed acute dehydration, and had just suggested plenty of plain water… Without any sugars, so the poor little mite died after flushing out all glucose. It is worrying that GPs have such poor training (or requirement for training) in paediatrics. In the same couple of days, parents of an infant with an extremely elevated heart rate were just told by their GP to drive through rush hour to the hospital…He survived. Luckily, and it was very touch and go. And I just get told about a few “cock ups”….

Please log in or register to post a reply.