2 w lost 3.9 kg. But I' carb confused! Help neded.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all!
    2 weeks done and the scale rewarded me with 3.9 kg down๐Ÿ˜Š
    I logg all in MyFinnessPal.
    But I cant keep the carbs down! I shosen to have 25 g carb but always end upp with all eaten by lunch. Nothing left for my main meal dinner.
    Please help me. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Buddhas wife, without some idea of what you are actually eating, it’s not easy to advise, but are you including enough fat. Fat helps with feeling full and so helps with keeping portion size down. Yes they are higher in calories, but oils come in with zero carbs, so they make and excellent addition. If you can provide a sample menu though, I’m sure we can help with some suggested tweaks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there Buddhas wife, I have been doing this plan for a long time and lose weight steadily and more important I keep my BG low. I have never been able to do much less than 40g carbs and that is without eating any starchy carbs, only veg based. Yes it is difficult but no where in the book does it say you have to be on 20 or 30 or whatever as long as you have said goodbye to the bad stuff and you keep to the calories.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Buddas wife.
    I struggled with keeping down on carbs initially, its harder for vegetarians than for meat eaters to achieve low levels of carbs. My advice would be rather than try to get down to 20g from the start, give yourself time to adapt.

I started back in October, and started off by cutting out the obvious high sources like bread, pizza, pasta, rice. Then I started to change my eating habits, to focus on reducing the carb levels a bit more, so for example, I would just have some scrambled with maybe a bit of cream cheese to change the flavour for a meal. The breakthrough on carb levels came for me from January onwards. As I stuck to being lower carb my appetite/hunger patterns changed, which I built on by delaying eating until mid afternoon so I was eating in a 6 hour window. Now, unless I have an early start and have a very physically intensive work day, I am not hungry until an evening so most days I have just one meal a day, which gives me many more options for carbs and calories.

As others have said, there is a lot of discussion on the lists of a 20g limit on carbs per day, but there are a mixture of people on the lists, including people who are insulin resistant, and people who want to break away from being addicted to carbs. Not everyone has to get be below 20g carbs to loose weight.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Buddhaโ€™s wife! Greens, greens, greens! They are your low carb best friends! You can eat a huge pile, sautรฉed with garlic and olive oil or steamed with lemon juice and olive oil or added to your soups, stews etc. You can roll them up with fillings and bake them โ€” you can layer them with chicken broth and butter and slow bake them โ€” they will fill you up, make you incredibly healthy and they are so low in carbs you can not even count them.
    Also, eggs and good grass-fed meats and seeds, fatty nuts like macadamia and pine and some cheese and butter โ€” all great sources of lovely healthy fats and no carbs.
    The lower you go, the more satisfied you will feel. It is counter intuitive but it works!

• posted by lalala
    on

Hey folks,
    I’ve got questions about carbs too. I’m in R1W5D4 and so far I’ve lost about 7 kgs, but most of that came in week 1 (4.5 kgs). I still have 25 kgs + to my goal weight. Like everyone I’m sure, I’m anxious to get there sooner than later… I’d love to be seeing 1-2 kg weight loss per week, but things have slowed this past week to just 0.8 kgs, and I’ve actually gained weight so far this week! It may just be the hormones wreaking havoc (as they tend to do with me), but feeling a little disheartened!
    I’m trying to be conscious of carbs and aiming for 20-30 g a day, but tend to be sitting a bit higher than that most days, about 50g on average. Should I be really pushing for low carb / keto range given my weight loss seems to have slowed quite a bit? Should I be upping the exercise (weight lifting, walking and yoga) to keep building lean muscle and boost weight loss with extra calories used? Should I maybe be playing with IF and sticking to 2 meals a day? Do I need to re-focus on drinking more water? Should I just calm down and be patient and be grateful for the non scale victories? I know the body is an unpredictable thing and weight loss may come in fits and starts – I’m mostly worried about not losing motivation if I’m not seeing the scales shift… Your advice is much appreciated!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    First of all it would be worth checking your measurements, a lot of people talk about times when the scales are not changing but they are loosing inches.
    Secondly after having a shock when I saw an ID photo of myself yesterday that was taken a month before I started BSD, I would now advise people to take some photos at the start of the journey. Because you will see yourself in the mirror each day you may not see the changes that others see, but if you can compare back to photos from the start you will realise the difference.
    Finally weight loss isn’t linear. The body doesn’t empty each fat cell in turn, it empties fat from a batch of cells a bit at a time, replacing the fat with water. Once the cells are completely empty of fat then it lets go of the water and the cells collapse. If you search the forums you will find lots of posts about whoosh events which is the phrase people on the forums use to describe this.

• posted by lalala
    on

Thanks so much JGwen. I’ve just taken my measurements so that I’m tracking something other than weight – hoping it will stop me from getting obsessed with the scale. Staying positive and trying to trust the process! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JGwen
    on

Glad to have been of help, I should have said with measurements not to focus too much on waist and hip measurements alone, its really surprising the places the body has bits of fat tucked away, quite a few of us have even found we have dropped a shoe size. ๐Ÿ™‚ Our bodies do prefer to loose weight from the legs, arms and chest/bust before getting rid of the spare tyre.

• posted by lalala
    on

Crazy that you mention the shoe size thing JGwen, because I think I have already! How frustrating for that fat to have come from my feet rather than my body where it is in abundance! Although really I’ll take it wherever it comes from! I’m going to wait to measure up until next Monday, so hoping by then I will be able to notice some changes in the numbers there AND on the scale! Hope you’ve had a good week ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JGwen
    on

My body decided to change shape in stages, with a 4 or 5 inch section of my legs changing at a time, so the first change for me was how much more comfortable my wellies were ๐Ÿ™‚ And the last area where its still hold fat is my spare tyre. –
    On Thursday a rough calculation of cals in/out meant that in theory I should have lost a pound of fat that day alone….. the scales showed instead a 0.1kg gain……. :-} Thats life for you.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, lala! I don’t think that we actually lose much fat from our feet, but that they spread in length and width from
    the pressure of carrying around extra weight. I’m in maintenance after a loss of 148lbs, and I try to revisit the shrinking
    feet phenomenon once a month on newbie threads. It certainly happened to me, and I’m happy that JGwen is giving
    me an assist in reporting this to others. Thanks, Gwen!
    Best of luck on your personal journey, lala ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

I think for me the foot size thing was sort of related to ankle size. Within a couple of weeks on bsd my ankles had reduced enough that my foot was so much further back in my sandals that they were obviously a size too long for me.

Some of the ladies on the phoenix thread talk about some amazing shoes and I thought it would be nice to treat myself to something a bit special as one of my treats for myself at reaching one of my landmarks, but failed to find anything to fit…….

Sadly I have always struggled to find nice shoes, I inherited my fathers high arch, (he failed the medical to become a police man because his feet were not flat enough), and fashion boots are always difficult cos they are not designed to fit women who have calf muscles, but its even worse now…… 10 years out of office life, and my toes have taken advantage of the space provided by a life in wellies and steel toe caped safety boots. Or maybe its just me, but all the shoes seemed to be so pointed I couldn’t work out how I was supposed to fit my toes into them.. I couldn’t stop thinking about Chinese women and bound feet. – Maybe its because I was visiting one of those out of town shopping centres where they have all the stores selling stock clearance….. Anyway I gave up on that idea, and changed my treat into looking at different clothes in the shops and thinking about outfits I would like to buy once I get to my target size.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Along with JGwen’s recommendation that you take a picture (which I did not)….I would recommend that you keep one item of your “fat clothers” and try that on when you feel discouraged that you have not lost enough. It is very satisfying seeing jackets that barely buttoned to now have a 3 or 4 inch overlap…..or pants that nearly fall off you now that were once tight.

I always have an aspirational piece of clothing that I keep trying on, noting how far from bottoning it is now versus 2 weeks ago. The tape measure just doesn’t seem to work for me, don’t feel I measure it exactly the same place and in the same way from week to week. Clothes don’t lie.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all, and thank you for your interesting answers! Its very helpfull!
    Ok. Get it. Its not necessary to go so low in carbs. That is good news, feel I can relax a little. Your spot on hummingbird! Can we breathe at all? ๐Ÿ˜‚
    I started at 102.1 kg BMI 34.5 fatmass
    49.2 (all according to my Withings scale) and will go to 72 kg.
    I have all signs on prediabetic but the fasting BS reeds ok the doctor says. How can that bee the case?

I did the math on https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com witch I found very helpful. My numbers come to 920 kcal (53%) decifit. And it stated that the choice of kcal as low as 800 is “extremly hard”. Funny, I found it is quite easy ๐Ÿ˜ especially with this forum support.

Please log in or register to post a reply.