10 a day – practical?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Esnecca
    Thanks for that – I do wonder, however, at the need (as I see it, and apart from its other benefits) for ‘bulk’. As I have mentioned, even before I started the BSD, my total calorific intake was well below the NHS recommendation for someone of my height, age and weight – and believe me, I never went hungry! Now that I look at what I used to eat I can understand why (because I had stopped checking it) that my BS level went up – entirely my own fault.
    I have noticed that some dietary items advertised claim t be probiotic; to be honest, until looking at your reply the phrase had simply washed over me , I have had a very quick – make that very, very quick – flick through the Wikipedia item on them and from the references quoted (I never take Wiki items totally on trust) it does seem as though there are some varieties of opinion as to their actual effectiveness but then, what’s new?
    Mike

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Michael – the nutritional or health benefit of kimchi, is not necessarily in the standard information on a nutrition panel, but in the actions of the probiotics it contains – a case of ‘more than meets the eye’. Cabbage kimchi is very much a staple of the Korean diet and is eaten everyday, sometimes with each meal and they also kimchi other veggies as side dishes – hence you finding the radish one.

I’m going to have a go at making some kimchi today, but as I couldn’t find the exact ingredients in my local supermarket, it’s going to be something of an experiment. For instance I couldn’t get napa cabbage, so I bought savoy instead – hopefully it will work. If it’s reasonably successful though, I will make the effort to track down the correct ingredients and make it again.

on

SunnyB
    Thanks for that
    Mike

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Kimchi and sauerkraut are also quite high in vitamins, particularly Vitamin A in kimchi and Vitamin C in sauerkraut.

SunnyB, I’m intrigued by your attempt to make kimchi at home. I’ve never fermented anything, but I’ve read up on it a bit and it seems like time does most of the work. I can’t imagine subbing savoy cabbage for napa will make a difference. Please keep up posted on your efforts.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just a quick report on the kimchi I made. I believe it was reasonably successful, although having not eaten kimchi before, I couldn’t say it’s anything like the original. That said, it is palatable. Made it a little too spicy for me perhaps, but not so much that I can’t eat it. Has made a pleasant addition to salads etc.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I think it would be entirely possible to eat a healthy diet with ten portions of fruit and veg a day, but it would require a major change in eating habits for most people.

on

>>I think it would be entirely possible to eat a healthy diet with ten portions of fruit and veg a day, but it would require a major change in eating habits for most people.<<
    Patsy – I think that is very true – but it is the sheer quantity involved that puzzles me – 800g. I never used to keep a record of what I ate, but am doing so at the moment, obviously. However, I have run the numbers for what would have been a typical day’s intake before BSD days and even back then, on a normal day I simply wouldn’t have eaten 800g of solids (for the ten a day doesn’t include liquids)., and those days included things like chips, potatoes, bread, biscuits, porage (every day) some fruit – usually a large apple and/or a banana – that sort of mix. I probably would reach 800g when having folk for dinner, but that is a rare occurrence, not the norm.
    Mike

Please log in or register to post a reply.