I found a similar idea in a low-sugar recipe book using salmon and mozzarella. I adapted it to use one of my favorite vegetarian combos.
Mini pizzas using a ring of roasted sweet potato as each base. Also good cold for a box-lunch or picnic.
• • 2 sweet potatoes, sliced into even slices
• • 2 tablespoons ‘evoo’ (extra virgin olive oil)
• • 1 onion, sliced finely
• • 1 red pepper, sliced finely
• • 1 clove garlic, crushed
• • 1 small sprig rosemary, leaves finely diced
• • 1 deli pack goat’s cheese, chopped
• • 1/3 cup pine nuts
1. Preheat your oven to hot.
2. Wash sweet potatoes, slice diagonally or round, arrange rings on baking paper, on baking tray. I leave the skins on.
3. Brush sweet potato rings with ‘evoo’.
4. Bake until golden (25 mins) checking that they are cooked right through.
5. Meanwhile, in a frying pan heat the remaining ‘evoo’ and cook onion and red pepper until soft and caramelised.
6. Combine onions, peppers, crushed garlic, goat’s cheese, pine nuts and rosemary.
7. Gently form this mixture into rounds using damp hands (count your potato rings and divide mix so that there is some mix for each ring) then places onto each sweet potato ring.
8. Bake for a further 15 mins or until golden.
9. Serve with healthy salad greens of choice.