Would rather add caramelised baby onions and more garlic then powders but otherwise good
Enough umph for a main dish at lunch. Creamy low carb dressing with some zip from herbs and a pinch of crushed red pepper.
• 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup white wine vinegar
• ¼ teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
• Kosher salt
• 8 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
• 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, large caps torn into 1-inch pieces, small caps left whole
• 1 garlic clove, smashed
• Freshly ground black pepper
• ½ cup buttermilk or yogurt
• ½ cup sour cream (or more yogurt)
• ¼ cup mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon onion powder
• ¼ cup finely chopped mixed herbs, such as basil, chives, and/or dill
• 2 large bunches mature spinach, stemmed, torn into 2-inch pieces
Combine shallot, vinegar, chile flakes, and ½ tsp. salt in a small nonreactive bowl; let sit at room temperature until ready to use.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until fat has rendered and bacon is browned and crisp, 8–10 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels. Pour off 1 Tbsp. fat; set aside for dressing.
Return skillet to medium heat and add mushrooms and garlic to remaining bacon fat; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden brown, 6–8 minutes.
Whisk buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, and reserved bacon fat in a medium bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in herbs; cover and chill until cold, at least 30 minutes.
Transfer shallot to a large bowl; discard vinegar mixture. Add spinach, dressing, bacon, and mushrooms and toss to coat. Divide salad among plates.
Note: to cut time could use any commercial sugar free ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, or even a homemade vinaigrette.