Such a good salad. The ingredients just bring out the best in each other. And so good for you. Yum.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• Optional: pinch of cayenne
• 5 ounces baby spinach leaves (about 5 cups lightly packed, pre-bagged spinach is great)
• 1 Granny Smith apple
• 1/3 cup walnut pieces, toasted ( can microwave for 1-2 min or toast in a dry skillet over a medium-high heat)
Add the oil, vinegar, mustard, a pinch of salt and pepper (and pinch of cayenne if using) to a small jar and shake up (left over Dijon mustard jar is perfect).
Toast the walnuts. Core the apple and cut into thick "matchsticks" about 1/4 in wide/thick.
In a large bowl toss the spinach with about 3/4 of the dressing until evenly coated then divide the spinach among 4 serving plates.
Add the apple sticks to the empty bowl and toss with the remainder of the dessing and mound on top of the 4 plates of spinach.
Spinkle the walnut pieces evenly over the 4 plates.
Serve with a bit of freshly ground black pepper on top.
Enjoy. This is such a nice winter salad and a change form the old usual.