lovely filling Italian veg soup with escarole and beans
• 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 oz pancetta, sliced and chopped..or chopped chorizo link, a ham hock etc.
• 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 medium onion, chopped
• 1 pound escarole, washed and coarsely chopped (1 medium bunch)
• 1 (14-ounce) cans, cannellini beans, drained
• 3 pints (6 cups) prepared chicken stock or broth
• A pinch ground nutmeg or fresh grated nutmeg
• Coarse salt and black pepper
• Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, for topping* a packet of Goya ham seasoning powder added a lot of additional flavor
In a deep, large, heavy pot over moderate heat, saute garlic and pancetta in extra-virgin olive oil for 3 minutes.
Add onions and cook 1 or 2 minutes longer.
Add the greens and wilt them down to fit them all in the pot. Add beans, broth, and nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Cook over moderate to medium-high heat for 12 minutes, or until greens are no longer bitter. Serve with a bit of shaved parm cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over top.