Which forum do you recommend for beginners?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by K8ty
    on

Hi, wanted to introduce myself. I am 44 5’5 and at the heaviest I have ever been at 100kgs. With PCOS and a load of weight around my middle I am heading for some scary health issues if I don’t deal with this now. The last few months have been all about working on my mental health and cutting out some of the worst of the carbs and most of the sugar. Finally got to a headspace where I am ready. The first 48hrs were brutal but the hunger has lost its edge now. I have been reading forums for inspiration and advice they have been brilliant but I have so many questions.
    1. Will the obsession with food get better? I am already thinking about my dinners for the next month
    2. How do you have enough calories spare to add in fats and oils? Does this mean less of everything else, trying to figure out the balance ?
    3. How much is too much protein?
    4. What are the benifets of being a 20 grammer?
    5. Is there anyone else out there just starting?
    6. What’s the etiquette of jumping onto a forum that has people who have already started?
    7. I am going on holiday in 16 weeks and want to complete 2 rounds before I go but what happens on the other end, do I have to transition gradually to a higher calorie intake? What happens if you don’t transition gradually not that I am going to suff my face the next day but I am going to America so my husband and I are going to share portions but it’s going to be tough to be able to source the right foods so there will be indulgences

Thank you and so looking forward to being part of this WOL (I’m learning the lingo😁)

• posted by Amarela
    on

Welcome on board K8ty!

To answer some of your questions from my experience

1. Yes! For me the changing point in the constant food obsessing was around week 3 or 4. I mean I still think about food A LOT but in a different way and I see it as a positive as what got me into obesity was mindless grazing, comfort eating etc. So now instead of dreaming about chocolate I think a lot about what food does my body need right now, why do I want it, is this craving actual hunger or will a cup of green tea do, etc.

2. Yes, small portions. I find portion control very important. Don’t guesstimate, weigh everything to start with, as time goes you’ll be able to tell portions even without the scales.

3. This way of eating is high fat, low carb and moderate protein, I think the often recommended amount of protein is 1g per ideal weight kilo.

4. Lowering blood sugar and increasing insulin sensitivity. Not everyone needs to go this low though. For me I keep to 20g most days with the occasional max 50g day thrown in.

6. Jump on in anywhere! We’re a friendly bunch 😄

7. I’m not sure about transitioning into maintenance as I’m only half way into my goal weight after round 1, just started second round yesterday after a 2 week holiday. I can honestly say my appetite has decreased so much and I’ve lost most of my bad food cravings! Never in a million years I would’ve believed it possible.
    Like you I went to the US for 2 weeks and found all the restaurants very accommodating in changing carby sides for extra portions of veg or salad, swapping sauces or dressings.

Finally, as someone who’s also struggled with mental health I can honestly say this way of life has singlehandedly been the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. Going low carb and hitting that keto state is like stepping out of heavy fog into a clear crisp day.

Welcome!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi and welcome.

1. You’ll stop craving sugar etc and start thinking more about healthy food, and yes, the obsession will reduce. It’s natural that when we’re making big changes we need to think about it a lot, so it’s not surprising we get a bit obsessed to start with.

2. Yes, no carbs and smaller aounts of everything else means you can include fat in your diet and stick to 800 calories.

5. New people join the forum, and start the diet all the time.

6. Do join in!

7. There’s no after exactly. To keep the weight off, you’ll have to eat sensibly for the rest of your life. Working out how much, and of what, will take a bit of experimenting.

Most restaurants cater for people with different dietary requirements, so just ask them to skip the bread, pasta, rice etc and give you veggies instead. Some indulgences are fine – but try to make good choices. Have a small portion of something really nice and savour it.

• posted by Wellybobs
    on

Hi! I am a beginner. I spent a lot of time lurking and reading on this site, bought the books and read them too.

I have just completed 3 weeks reduced carbs to approx 20g and excluding sugar but not sticking to 800 calories. (Just something I decided to do myself). I was going to do a month like this, but I read your message and thought I would join you now, as I feel like I have got my head round the reduced carbs and no sugar. I already feel better, more alert and less bloated. It’s enabled me to analyse and see that my body and carbs do no agree with each other! My memory is much much better, which was shocking. I was genuinely getting concerned. I do not feel the same raging hunger either. So, I will be officially weighing in and counting calories from tomorrow.

My husband and daughter now have one cupboard dedicated to carbs, which to be honest I couldn’t tell you what’s in it! He buys all their carb stuff bread etc.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi K8ty and welcome. You seem to be well prepared though you don’t make it clear whether you have totally ditched refined carbs? Detoxing on them is critical to success as they are addictions, sugar in particular is a pernicious addiction. Once you are over them I don’t say it will be plain sailing but temptations will be far more manageable.
    Sugar has to be treated as an alcoholic would do alcohol. “Just one” is not an option. It’s so worthwhile making a complete break – not only you feel more secure in managing your food but your sense of self esteem and control over your eating will make you feel like a different person.
    The confidence will spill over into the rest of your life and greatly reduce any stress you may feel. It will stop your obsession with food and allow you to focus on the other good things in life.
    High fats are essential for satiety. It’s the fats that will keep you full, and if you’ve got a snacking habit that’s vital so you can say no without hesitation.
    In his book Michael Mosely says 45g of protein for women a day. Think about it, if we’re overweight we’re walking larders; and carbs, make them basically green and leafy. Nothing that grows underground apart from celeriac.
    Fruits are limited, just a handful of berries a day. No tropical fruits as they’re pure sugar.
    I aim for 20g of carbs, simply because I want results yesterday! But low carb is generally below 50, you’ll have to see what works for you.
    There’s always people just starting, but dive into any thread – the more you post the more friends you’ll make. In the Fast 800 there are two ongoing challenges, weekly and monthly. Jump into one or both of those and share everyone else’s journeys.
    I don’t think it’s helpful to worry about 16 weeks ahead. You’re putting too much pressure on yourself investing your hopes on a specific date. Instead think about why you are really doing this; of course there’s weightloss but what difference will the loss make to you? What benefits are you anticipating? Invest in them; a walk on the beach without feeling tired, walking upstairs without getting out of breath; nice new clothes; new cookbooks and knives for your new way of life. Make them small measurable gains that you can achieve regularly. Big targets for me are too binary; it’s a win or lose and that way lies abandonment of the whole plan.
    Tell yourself it’s not about America, it’s about the rest of your life. Besides, I’ve just finished my first round and now I’m taking a different journey that I couldn’t have planned for, one of intermittent and extended fasting which I expect to be a lifelong way of eating. 8 weeks ago I wouldn’t have thought it possible but a complete break with refined carbs has been so empowering that I have the freedom to eat or not.
    Read the Take a Look at This thread; it will lead you to some videos that will broaden your understanding of this way of eating and it’s health giving benefits. Best of luck, and do keep researching, it will give you strength.
    Maggie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi K8ty, Welcome to the forum.
    1. From my experience the craving food eases in stages. – Your body and gut bacteria are used to eating carbs so both take some time to adapt. Once you are used to this WoE your cravings for food will ease.
    2. I found as my cravings to eat eased I could recognise the difference between being hungry and fancying eating. As I moved towards eating only when hungry I dropped breakfast, for the last couple of months I tend to only eat in an evening. So I have all my calories available for one meal. – Using myfatsecret app to log everything was really helpful at the start until I got a pattern of meals/ and a feel for how much I could eat.
    3. The advice I have seen ranges between 30g and 45g of protein a day. – There is some research that suggests having protein and carbs at the same time raises insulin higher than either on the own. Also protein intake stops autophagy which is the mechanism for avoiding loose skin.
    4. There are quite a few people who have found getting below 20g of carbs is the best for weight loss. Its the level set by people aiming for ketosis, which is when the body is using fat for fuel. – I get the impression that going for 20g of carbs is the best for dealing with carb cravings, that certainly was my experience.
    5 I started back in October 2017.
    6. Just join the challenge that appeals to you either the 1 week or 4 week. Most people introduce themselves and their aims the first time they post.
    7. I can understand why you are thinking in terms of doing one or two rounds and then going back to “normal” eating. – I was thinking this way myself when I started, but over time your desire to go back to the old style of eating fades. I reached the point of realising that I didn’t like how tired I felt after eating carbs and didn’t get the feel good feeling that I was expecting. So it was relatively easy to change my point of view that this was the new normal for me.

• posted by K8ty
    on

Thank you all for the great advice. I have been leading up to this for at least 6 months after my first failed attempt last year. I was dizzy and fudgy for days and couldn’t function, it was all too much too fast. However I know as I have PSOC the weight needs to go and no excuses. So over the last few months I have given up my occasional ciders,all bread, grains and was on a 16/8 routine as well as start meditation and positive self talk. Even with those changes I didn’t lose any weight but to be honest I have a hard time convincing myself that potatoes are not veg! My portion size and my love, no adoration of potatoes have been my downfall Therefore no weightless with any of those changes. I am fighting hormones so I am going to have to really strict. After reading through the replies my protein is too high and I not getting enough fats, I keep thinking the protein is going to make me feel satiated. Tonight I am ditching the chicken breast for Greek yogurt and see how that goes. Plus I am going to include some low protein days as well to help the cycle.
    Thank you all so much

• posted by Violinist
    on

Good morning. I just read the book and am considering trying this. Did you guyspay for the 12 week program or did you do it on your own?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

I didn’t pay for the course but neither did I do it on my own; if you’re comfortable with online fora this offers amazing support and knowledge that builds on what we have learned from the book and what we learn about ourselves and what we are capable of doing.
    Maggie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thank you for responding Maggie! Who did you do this diet with?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Violinist
    I’ve shared my experiences with others in the two challenges in the Fast 800, one monthly and the other weekly. There are new people joining all the time and lots of maintainers who are happy to offer encouragement.
    The difference you’ll find here is that it’s been such a life-changing experience, changing our way of eating, that we want to help others to enjoy it too.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thank you Maggie! Ah, you did not do this alone, but with the help of the people on this website!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Yes!! And it’s the support that’s made the difference for me and others.

• posted by K8ty
    on

First week weigh in and drumroll please…….97.6 flippen heck, bloody amazing!! I didn’t join the program but have invested in oth the BSD book and recipe book as well. Loving the EasyDietDiary app it shows all the carbs/ proteins etc, has all the Aussie food and is free! Plus you can add products that are not on the data base and add your own recipes

The stories and helpful advice on these forums have been such a huge help thank you. I have learned about my carb levels so it looks like 20grams max for me and protein cycling as well. Last night was a revelation after I had a meal of seed crackers and avo and realised it was more satisfying than a plate of veg with chicken breast. Was daydreaming about making some low carb hemp flour unsweetened chocolate brownies last night but the fats on the crackers helped that. Cooked up garlic Turkish bread to go with the kids chicken soup and didn’t flinch, not even a crumb. Haha take that carbs!!
    Look forward to hearing how you go Violinist and thank you Maggie I have been reading some of your other posts and you have great advice.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi K8ty, glad it’s got off to such an amazing start, no wonder you’re happy 🤗 Realising how filling fats are is a revelation, it’s hard to make that leap of faith after years of indoctrination that we’ll all die if we eat butter!
    I’m glad I’ve helped and thank you, but I’m just spreading the love that has been shown to me. When we come here we’ve all tried and failed, seen the look on a doctor’s face when we’ve failed to lose weight on their high carb low fat plan – did you know that’s recorded as patient non-compliance? – and feel bound to fail once more. It’s almost impossible to believe that we can succeed and we all need a lot of support to see that it can be done.
    Good luck for next week and going forward. We all have our plateaux followed by significant loss, it’s part of the process, so keep drinking that water and eating the fat!
    Maggie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning K8ty and Maggie,
    Today is the day for me to start the 8 week diet. Yesterday I was out for dinner and had the last of a 2,000 plus calorie day.

I am 62 years old
    174.4 fully dressed this morning
    retired and very active – 30 min elliptical, 60 minute swimming and casual biking this week every day
    In 12 weeks I see the doc that I told I would be 154 by the time I see her due to increased blood pressure, increased triglycerides and increased cholesterol, or she will put me on blood pressure medicine and increased statins.
    A1 c was 5.7 in March
    Waist around bellybutton measures 41
    Here we go folks!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Goo morning Violinist and good luck on your journey.
    You might like to watch Aseem Malhotra’s YouTube video Killing for Profit and then think again about statins again. It’s worth asking your GP what the absolute risks are if you don’t take the medication. You’ll find some of us are a little cynical.
    Ps Your GP won’t be able to answer, they don’t know the difference between absolute and relative
    Maggie

Please log in or register to post a reply.