What Turmeric type is best? REF: The surprising truth about Turmeric

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Smilesy
    on

I read this article – https://thebloodsugardiet.com/surprising-truth-turmeric/ and I’m wondering what Turmeric was used in the group who consumed a teaspoon of turmeric a day? I’ve tried looking for the episode of Trust Me which this study appeared in but can’t find it anywhere online.

Was it general ground Turmeric found in supermarkets or was it a particular brand or type?

I’ve started making a latte a day using 2 – 3 teaspoons of supermarket type Turmeric and was wondering if this was correct or a complete waste of time in terms of the benefits you get from it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Always enjoy watching and intrigued by Michael Mosley’s research!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Smilesy
    I’ve got bbciplayer open at the moment so have just had a quick look. The episode isn’t available any more on iplayer but here is a link to a page relating to the turmeric study.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/PSTGKKt3HR08tmK69w7J1b/does-turmeric-really-help-protect-us-from-cancer

There is a 4/5 min clip where MM is discussing the findings and also some links to the research studies. In the clip they don’t identify a brand just say ground turmeric as opposed to a supplement. Maybe some of the links might identify it further.

Also, now you have the series and episode you might be able to find on youtube.

Edited: Just remembered it mentions if you use turmeric in cooking it might be most effective if you use it with oils and black pepper also.
    Marie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, friends! I have the same recommendation about the use of fats and black pepper,
    Marie.
    Smilesy, IF my link works :), you may find this interesting:

http://www.curcuminforhealth.com/history

Allie

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks Allie,
    Isn’t it fascinating how great world food cultures so often combine ingredients which together are so beneficial to a person’s health. Xx

• posted by AnnieW
    on

I’ve been adding black pepper, chia seeds and a spoonful of supermarket gr T to my morning glass of kefir. Tastes nice and hoping for any added benefits. At first I was using the normal sized jars in the supermarket but did find a larger pack which worked out cheaper. However, I did eventually notice a note on the packet saying the T must be cooked before consumption eek! I did email to ask why but so far a deafening silence. I am looking for another source and may try Amazon as there are no Asian grocery stores around here. I think Turmeric latte has become a “thing” now and if you like it I would carry on with it as I’m sure there are benefits to be had. Main disadvantage is the staining if you spill any. I read very recently there is even a chocolate bar now. Just off to look at the links.

• posted by Clarerocks
    on

I’ve been eating a product from a company called India in a Jar, which is root of turmeric, black pepper and coconut oil. It’s described as a curry paste or accompaniment and I love it with cauliflower rice as well as on cold chicken! I picked it up in a farmer’s market in Exeter, but he does have a Facebook page and I think you can probably order it. I hope so as mine has nearly run out. It wasn’t cheap, but it was tasty and I hadn’t realised that turmeric root was meant to have such health benefits.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’ve been using a branded powder blend by Natures Harvest – their Turmeric Latte mix for a while now. Have been drinking this with almond milk a few times a day (n.b. not always all almond milk, most often almond milk added to a water based drink). However, having looked at your link Kazz, I’ll be making some paste from scratch I think, but I might add in a couple of other spices to make it more like the flavour I enjoy in the Natures Harvest brand – ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and chilli. I’m thinking it might be a bit hit and miss until I get the quantities right, but I’ll give it a go.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Those additions sound nice, Sunny. And in fact, I meant that I use almond milk, not soya for the latte. I make a big batch, sterilise some jars in in the micro and then freeze. Jars won’t crack as long as you leave an inch room from the top. Keeps in the fridge once defrosted for about 2 weeks. I buy organic powder, peppercorns. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.