Week one complete

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sarah-lou-x
    on

Hi all!

I’m only a week into this diet and have already lost 6lbs! I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 3 years ago at the age of 20 and have finally decided I need to do something about it! I’m not one that can easily stick to a diet which is why I’m hoping this forum will help me out! Would love to hear some success stories!

• posted by Annym
    on

Hi Sarah-lou-x. Congratulations. 6lbs is amazing! Well done and hopefully it will spur you on. I started on Jan 2nd and lost 13lbs and 1.5″ off my waist. I have fallen off the wagon twice (two separate evenings of red wine over-indulgence) The following day my weight was the same so I stuck to it like glue the following day. I am very nearly losing 1lb per day. The 8 week diet takes me up to a few days before a holiday so I am determined not to get mistaken for a whale while swimming! I have 26lbs to lose before I reach my target weight and intend to start the 5:2 if and when I get there. Keep posting and let me know how you get on. I keep a dress close by that I really want to get back into (again) to keep me going! Approaching week 4 and I don’t seem to be as bothered by hunger. Maybe my stomach is shrinking….let’s hope!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

H there and welcome aboard! There will be LOADS of support, advice and empathy here so feel comfortable to join us anytime for any discussion or advice 🙂 I have chosen to call this a way of eating . . . WoE . . . diet sounds short term . . . this is long term. Like forever more 🙂 In three months I discarded almost 2 stone – (12 kgs) . . . but that wasnt my goadl . . . I just wanted to prove medicos wrong on me needing meds . . . with a 12.9 HbA1c. With the weight discard in just 3 months also came a 6.9 HbA1c. In two weeks Im having a return visit to the endocrinologist . . . he asked for 10cms discard of my middle . . . which I havent quite reached but Im more hoping the HbA1c is the same or better. AT allmost 75, Im feeling AMAZING and did this without counting – (just guesswork on weights and measures!) – no exercise – as my feet have PF . . . and mostly now – after 6 months . . . living comfortably with one, sometimes two meals a day. SO . . . at almost 75 . . Im more than happy with MY results!!! Anything else will be bonuses plus!!!
    All the very best and again . . . draw up a char and . . . welcome 🙂

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Sarah Lou.

Well done on a great start! You’re right that this forum can help you stick to the diet. I found it really encouraging and helpful when I first started – and it still helps now.

I started just over a year ago (New Year resolution type thing). I wasn’t diabetic, just overweight, unfit, lethargic, generally feeling a bit rubbish and as though I had to ‘do something’. By Easter I was within the healthy weight range (just). I then eased up a little and lost weight more slowly until I reached my target weight. It has gone up a little at times since (although still within the healthy weight range) but I’ve managed to lose it again by being stricter for a few days. I’m gradually learning the best maintenance plan for me.

I feel great. Loads more energy and confidence – I think that’s partly due to the weight loss, partly to eating more healthily, and partly because I gradually increased my exercise levels too.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Sarah-lou-x
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes early in 2016. I did the BSD and within a few months my blood sugars were back in the normal range. What helped me was not thinking about the big numbers but just focusing on a whole series of mini-goals – reaching those kept me motivated.

After almost 2 years of maintaining I slipped and put a couple of stone back on last year (I’d originally lost 6 st) but I started again in October and it’s going well – I’ve got to lose 15lb to get to my healthy BM1 again. Even though I gained weight (my portion sizes were too big) I kept to the changed way of eating and always kept my carbs low and my hba1c has stayed in the normal range – I’m classed as ‘in remission’ on my GP records. Plus, like WoodDuckie, I feel fantastic!

There are lots of people on here who’ve had fantastic success at weight loss and with Type II and other health issues so it was a great idea to join the Forum – join in any of the threads you feel drawn to and keep posting – also, use the search box to read stories of previous posters who have been successful, particularly with their blood sugar levels. It is inspiring!

6lbs off in your first week is a great start xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sarah-lou – welcome to the forum. My advise would be not to compare yourself to others, as we all lose at differing rates. Be content that your body is working it out it’s own way and that providing you are eating low carb and limiting the calories, the weight loss will follow. I agree with Jennie10 on mini-goals and WoodDuckie that we are in this for the long haul, so it’s a way of life not a quick fix diet. Like Squidge, I am in maintenance and the wonderful thing about the BSD, is that it gives us the tools to be able to quickly deal with any little gains before they have time to morph into big ones.

Definitely join any thread on the forum you’d like to, as you can be assured of a friendly welcome, as well as support and encouragement and the benefit of the wealth of knowledge and experience abounding on the forum.

Best wishes to you for every success …

• posted by Wilson182
    on

We just found out about this here in New Zealand and I am intending to follow the program with my daughter. She needs to lose at least 10 kg so I have asked her to give me two weeks of hard effort and see how she feels. We are on day 2 and the thing I am finding is I am craving carbs!
    I did the 5:2 very successfully a couple of years ago but the weight is slowly creeping back up.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi and welcome aboard the BSD – (way of eating rather than “diet!” journey. May I first offer advice on considering this or just 8 weeks . . . that may achieve a quick result for starters . . . but to go BACK to what you were eating previously isnt the most positive plan. Consider doing this as a life-changer . . a healthier alternative to being a carb junkie. Eventually the “need” will disappear but it takes time and perseverance – more for some than others. There are MANY here to listen and help support and reassure along your pathway! Most of us have had that craving . . , and seems to me it just proves how addicted we are to the wretched things 🙂 My answer to them when they arrived was to give myself something which was PREFERRED as an alternative to appease the need! A spoonful of REAL peanut butter . . , just made from peanuts. A small piece of REALLY DARK chocolate . . . Pork Krackle pieces – kinda like chips only no carb! a glass of water . . . a hardboiled egg . . . a few walnuts, pecans or almonds BUT BE CAREFUL of quantity as they all have a few carbs . . . DO your best to extend the time between when you feel the craving . . . and when you deliver the choice to quell that desire. I found it wad sometimes better to eat the meal which was due in the next hour, 2-3-4 hours even . . . rather than snack. Then you might find when the usual mealtime comes around you arent hungry . . . and in fact have an opportunity to fast until the next day 🙂 All the best and please check back in soon to let us know how youre going 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.