Week 2 – sweetener confusion

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hi all, I’m 4 days into my 2nd week and have found the current and past threads on the forum invaluable. I’m logging food on an app and net carbs are always lower than 50g per day. I’m losing weight which is a great motivator – although I’m in it predominantly for the drop in blood pressure. I’m confused about sweeteners – I generally don’t use them, preferring honey or maple syrup in porridge etc. That said even those I have shelved during the 8 week/800cals period. But I’m wondering about baking some thing a little treaty. What’s your advice? Should I hold firm and not even go there or what do you rely on for that little treat? Also if baking on the 8-week diet, what if any sweetener do you use? All advice welcome.

• posted by Ali-G
    on

Erythritol is the only sweetener that does not spike insulin at all that tastes good. It has zero calories, no aftertaste or bitter taste but it’s about half as sweet as sugar so quite expensive. Only avaible online at about £8 a kilo. Xylitol is the next best with a lowish insulin response, hslf the calories of sugar and also good flavour and same sweetness as sugar and easily bought in Waitrose and health shops at about £11 a kilo.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Thanks Ali-G – that’s a great steer. So far I have desisted altogether but it’s good to know what to have in the cupboard before the pang really kicks in.

Much appreciated.

Please log in or register to post a reply.