Veggie dilemma

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Wyn
    on

Hi started here today,,,recipes look god and looking forward to trying some,,,but I am a lifelong veggie so think I am going to struggle a bit,,,anyone else on here that more into this diet and can suggest what I can substitute for meat and fish. I use quorn now. But not very often. Thanks wyn

• posted by JGwen
    on

I am a life long veggie as well. – I simply started out by cutting out the ” big whites” bread, pasta, rice, sugar etc. Then I started to use the myfatsecret app on my mobile phone to enter everything I thought about eating to check out carbs and calories against the daily allowance I set myself. I never bothered with the recopies in the book. The easy way to find suitable other options is to search online for keto vegetarian recipes .

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I’m not a veggie but at least 60-70% of my meals are veggie meals. I make a lot of the recipes in the books substituting tofu, lentils, chickpeas, beans or haloumi for meat. Vegetarian sausages are also good (although check the ingredient list).
    Kazzee posted a link to the diet doctor on another thread, in answer to the same question, it’s pretty helpful
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian

• posted by Wyn
    on

Thanks for that info,,I have been looking through the recipe list,,,and there is lots on there as well. I think I just panicked when reading the book and no mention of substitute for meat and fish. Thanks so much I will get on and do it now. And thanks for the link,,I will check it out. 😄

• posted by Wyn
    on

Thanks JGwen,, I will be cutting out whites also. Thanks for info, Keto site looks very informative,, and the app seems good but I am not very technical but will have a try to get it on my phone. Thanks again wyn.😉

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’m not a veggie, but I’ve started eating more veggie meals since starting this diet. I use eggs, various types of cheese, chick peas, butter beans and other pulses.

Vegetable soups with lentils make a good filling lunch and you can make big batches and freeze in individual portions to warm up in the microwave or a pan.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I am a veggie and lost 42lb in 2017 following the BSD. Like JGwen I cut out all white carbs ie pasta, rice, potatoes, bread. This makes a massive difference and starts off the whole process. For breakfast I ate Greek yoghurt with berries. I don’t eat breakfast anymore. Lunch is either eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, nuts, home made soup, salad, hummus. I made cauliflower based pizza, halloumi and roasted vegetables, omelettes for my evening meal. I made the aubergine lasagne, cottage pie with cauliflower mash. We don’t have the same choices as the meat eaters but we can still lose the weight. I don’t eat too many pulses/beans but so occasionally have them. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

• posted by Wyn
    on

Thanks so much for your info. I’m very hopeful on this as I feel much “lighter” since last week. Some good tips from you,,thanks all the best to you. Wyn

Please log in or register to post a reply.