Type 2 medication

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Paulinev
    on

Hi, I am currently taking 500mg of Metformin slow release and 60mg of Gliclazide slow release per day, the only reason I am on Gliclazide is that I have side effects from Metformin, I am eager to start the diet but don’t have an appointment with my GP for another two months, does anyone know how I can adapt the diet so that my blood sugar doesn’t drop too low, so that I can get started.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Pauline, I too am on glycazide as I cannot tolerate Metformin. I also use insulin and have been reducing it by a unit at a time slowly slowly. Once the diet kicked in I found that I was having very low readings in the afternoon (3 to 4pm) and these scared me and I posted for help. Firstly, if you do go too low do not revert to old habits of quick fix high sugar foods like a teaspoon of honey, a cheese sandwich or a handful of sweeties. First of all know the signs of a hypo, tingling lips, fingers or feet, shaking, blurred vision etc. Test when you feel unwell or just a bit strange. If your BG is very low try first with a few prunes and a couple of spoons of natural yoghurt (I love Greek). Test again and if it is still low have either more prunes or a slice of cold meat like ham or chicken. Leave it 20 mins and test again. You should be back into a more normal range by then. Secondly, I discovered that glycazide can cause hypos so I cut them from 3 tablets or 90mg (30mg each) to 2.5 tabs and then down to 2. This stopped the afternoon hypos. I have also reduced the insulin and hope that it is that which I will get rid of eventually but staying with the lower dose of Glycazide.

The diet is meant to reduce your blood sugar readings so dont panic and just keep yourself safe by testing and eating sensible BSD friendly snack.

• posted by Paulinev
    on

Thank you so much for that very useful advice, I will give it a go.

Please log in or register to post a reply.