The 8 week recipes query over cal/ carb content.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Query. My sister has just started the bsd 800 she is following the recipes in that book, she isn’t counting the carbs as apparently I haven’t checked but she said the book doesn’t ask you to count carbs. Listening to what she has eaten today, she has obviously gone over her 800 cals and definitely well over her 50 carbs. So out of curiosity I calculated the cals and carbs in the no carb Bircher recipe. The book says there is no carbs and 180 cals. Using my pal app it tells me the cals are 287.50 and the carbs are 38.1. !
    Curious has anyone else found this or am I doing this all wrong. I don’t follow the book, I take the recipes and work it out for myself, I have lost 14 lbs in ten days I don’t think I would have done if I had just taken the recipes at face value.

• posted by Jillf
    on

I am really interested to know the answer to this one too as I am flowing the recipes instead of tracking on the assumption all is already calculated. Anyone help us here please?
    Jill

• posted by Jillf
    on

Following not flowing of course!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Can’t comment on book recipes – I have had my success cooking myself with weighed ingredients. Sure someone will come back to you.

Re the carb count – no, there is no recommendation for 50g of carbs in the book. It simply says 800cals. Keeps it simple.

However many people here have found it very helpful to keep a note of nutrients (I use MyFitnessPal) as it is really helpful to know. And if you keep the carbs under 50g then it can be even more successful

I had comparatively little to lose (often really difficult, had been totally unsuccessful dropping the stone and s half for some time) and by keeping around 20g of carbs per day (cals 800-1000) have lost 21lbs in 8.5 weeks. And enjoying it.

I hope that helps.

• posted by Jillf
    on

Wow that is amazing thank you! Very encouraging
    Jill

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Like Igorasusual, I have not used the recipes in the book and so have not had to calculate the carbs in the meals there. I do remember carb intake is not discussed in grams in the book, just the imperative to cut out simple carbs. However, I lost initially cutting back to 800 cals a day, but then hit a plateau and only started losing again, once I started looking at carbs and cutting down to 50g or below. Even now I don’t have any big losses, just the odd pound here and there, but it is all adding up.

I would say that on the evidence found on this forum, there is a need to keep a check on the carbs too.
    Good luck and please keep us posted.

• posted by Jillf
    on

Thanks SunnyB. In the first few days I did not track but just followed the menus in the book- I lost the biggest chunk of weight then (6lb in 4 days) – but then you would as you lose fluids at that stage. I have since started to track and it is true the calories cited in the book aren’t right – some over, some under. I just tweak them if they are high in carbs, especially – my fitness pal is great for allowing you to know what to cut. Like you I am really tracking to keep the carbs under 50.
    So at the end of week one – start weight 12 stone 13lbs – my loss was 8lbs 3 oz – which I am thrilled with.
    How did your sister get on if she is still following the book greenjanet?

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi, The ‘myfitness pal’ app is really great, and I find it is spot on for giving you carbs/cals etc, as I’ve checked it against other resources. The only thing to bear in mind is that if you want to set the daily limit at 800 cals,and the carb/protein/fat levels, then unfortunately you do have to pay the monthly ‘premium’ sunscription which is £7.99 a month. But, that’s a lot less than weightwatchers etc is’nt it ! I especially love the fact that you only have to input each ingredient once, you can then make recipes/fave foods etc, and it even has a barcode scanner. I can’t recommend it enough !!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi
    Thanks for asking, she is following the book explicitly as I said previously we both have the same amounts of weight to loose, and at the 5 day mark, I had lost 8 lbs, but she had lost 4lbs, I estimate she is eating 1/3 more than me, so it will be slower, I keep gently encouraging her to look on here but she won’t. Shes very determined, so hopefully she will get on alright.
    Jan 🌻🌻🌻

• posted by Jillf
    on

Sea dog – my free version has let me set my targets at 800 etc?
    Ah well Jan you can only nudge! I know it is time consuming but it is worth tracking for eg I did the fish parcel tonight and had no green beans but had asparagus in fridge so swopped them. The asparagus knocked both calories and carbs off the count! Sometimes just dropping a tomatoe or a few raisins from a recipe can really reduce carbs and calls too and doesn’t affect taste!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Jill.
    How did you get it to accept the 800 count, played around, with it no go for me ?

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi greenjanet

To change the calorie count on myfitnesspal…. go to the start page and the 2nd line down is in black and has ‘Goals’ on it (2nd title in).
    Click on that and you get to a page that has a box saying ‘Daily Nutrition Goals’. You can edit your calorie count and carbs there.
    Don’t know why but it took me ages to find that!!
    Hope it helps 🙂

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Caramba
    Great thanks for that will have a go later.
    Regards
    Jan😊

• posted by Jillf
    on

I’m with Caramba on that advice. I am using it on my Ipad as it is soooo much easier to navigate
    Jill

Please log in or register to post a reply.