Started BSD today – is this too much protein?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ihavetodothisnow
    on

Hi everyone!

I’ve been browsing a while and took the plunge to start the 8 week BSD today.
    I’m not diabetic but really need to lose weight, majorly cut down sugar and stop drinking alcohol.
    So far I’m feeling ok, I’ve been using a nutracheck to log calories, carbs etc.
    Today my
    calories are – 720 (not finished yet ha);
    Fat is 32.6g
    Carbs 19.7g
    Protein – 73.4g

Is the protein too high? Not sure what I need to be aiming for tbh, can I have too much?

Thanks in advance.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Ihavetodothisnow, and welcome to our community! You will find wisdom, knowledge and support
    here. Join any thread that resonates with you, and you will be made very welcome 🙂 I think your instincts
    are correct about your protein gms being too high. Whatever we don’t use in a day gets stored as fat. That’s
    why this way of eating is categorized as low carb, moderate protein, and high fat (the healthy type). The
    best way to approach your macros is to see how they look against this formula:
    1g protein for every kg of IDEAL body weight. People that do a lot of weight training can push those
    numbers to 1.5kg. A looser interpretation is that women don’t need more than 50g a day, and men do
    well at 60g while on an 800cal a day program.
    Wishing you the best of luck, and let us know how you are progressing 🙂

Allie

• posted by Ihavetodothisnow
    on

Hi Allie,

Thanks so much for your reply, I think it’s was the pork loin steak that did it as that came in at a whopping 36.7g protein, it wasn’t even that big so maybe the calculations are out.
    Had a much better day yesterday I think.
    Call = 790
    Fat = 54.2g
    Carbs = 17.3g
    Protein = 41.4g

Or maybe the carbs and protein are a bit low.? I’ve not been hungry so far and not had carb flu yet! But I’m expecting it anytime soon. I’m just off to make an egg and smoked salmon salad!
    Thank you again for your kind words and encouragement.

Please log in or register to post a reply.