Started BSD 6th Sept.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CurryTruck
    on

Hi,
    Was found to be pre-diabetic with a HbA1C reading of 44 (although 2 weeks previously it was 41).
    I’m 60, 175cm, 85kg. Portion control dreadful, drink too much, ate too many rice or pasta meals.

6 days in I’ve lost 2.5kg. It took 4 days before I saw any change on the scales but now we’re on the journey!
    Would love to get to 75kg and I can see it happening.

The first few days have been interesting. The meals have been lovely. Some from the 8 Day BSD book, others adapted things Mrs and I already ate.
    I’ve only rarely felt hungry which surprises me.
    The last couple of days I’ve felt a bit lethargic and light headed but I’ve been drinking water and forcing myself to continue working in our very large garden.

I’ve been pulled onto the NHS Diabetes Prevention Program. I have to say that the info given on that program is close to useless.

Will post back after another few days.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi CurryTruck and good for you for doing this diet plan. You will soon see your diabetic number tumble. Hopefully you will not be on any meds at this point and I can assure you that you can totally avoid that. It is a slippery downward slope.

Glad you didnt give up after not seeing results until a few days in, our bodies need time to adjust. Glad you are enjoying the food. One reason you are not too hungry is that you are probably (if you have givendup the carbs) eating much more filling and sustaining foods. For example, a bowl of breakfast cereal with milk and a slice of toast with marmalade (a normal breakfast) would cost you around 350 to 400 calories, whereas 2 boiled eggs would be around 140 cals. With the cereal you will be hungry in a couple of hours and looking for elevenses but with the egg you will stay full until lunch. Carbs make you crave more carbs. Proteins and fats keep you full.

Yes I too have found Diabetes Uk to be pretty useless even though they are now recommending this diet, if you ask any questions they still come in with the ‘keep your carbs high to prevent hypos’ nonesense.

Keep posting and keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

CurryTruck, great result so far and you’ll achieve your goal fir sure if you continue with this way of eating. Just remember weight lose is not linear, so expect there to be blips and stalls here and there, which can be frustrating, so watch the bigger picture. Overall is your trajectory downward, are clothes getting looser, are you sleeping better, etc. etc.

For support and advice, maybe consider joining in on the weekly thread, the current on has 14th September in it’s title … you’re guaranteed a warm welcome.

Hope you will soon be celebrating hitting target.

• posted by freester
    on

Hi CurryTruck. Just another to say welcome and keep it up.

I took on this WoE in Jan 2020. I did 6 weeks of 800 cals before going 5:2 for a while and now just maintaining successfully ever since. The ‘I’ve only felt hungry rarely’ is the bit that surprised me too. The lethargy will pass. It’s your body getting used to accessing fat reserves rather than sugar highs for energy.

You’re doing well. Please check in and update us!

• posted by CurryTruck
    on

Hi Freester,
    Good to hear you’ve had long term success. That’s what I want too.

The scales aren’t showing any significant change over the last few days but I feel better and definitely have more energy.
    We’re away for a few days next week but our host is fully on board so we’ll be ok.
    I’m hoping we’ll do a fair bit of walking on the North York Moors if the weather is ok.
    Will be interesting to step on the scales when we get back.

on

Oh the North Yorks Moors, my old stomping ground (help I sound just like my husband). We used to live in Northallerton just off the A1.

• posted by CurryTruck
    on

On my route Northallerton is just off the A19! We head to Teeside.

Did visit Northallerton when we camped at Osmotherley one time.
    Love it up there!

on

CurryTruck, my daughter went to teeside university so know the A19 very well. Enjoy your stay.

Please log in or register to post a reply.