saving calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by me too
    on

Hello All supporting my hubbie and both doing well , husbands blood sugars slowly going down too
    . Beginning of july is my birthday and I have asked our family to delay the celebrations they planned for me until at least we have done the 8 weeks
    Although fingers crossed perhaps my husbands diabetes could be in remission before then ?? He only needs to loose another 12 1bs to be back to advised optimum weight. getting average 6.5 (few glitches)but still only cut the meds by half tab of met and half glyc.. so although the numbers are lower he is I guess still reliant on the meds ,
    Anyway my husband wants us both at least go out to dinner to celebrate my birthday .I generally sort /cook our food actually love the challenge !! (he shops preps and clears !) He wants me to shave off 100 cals per day for 5 days so that he has 500 calories towards the meal It was interesting he wanted to use it for a higher calorie steak ….. and not the chips which is what I thought he would go for !!and 2 glasses of Champagne. your thoughts lovely people please ?

ps watched “truth about Carbs” bbc very interesting did anyone else watch this ?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi me too – good you are supporting your husband. I know you can save ‘points’ and ‘syns’ on some diets (WW and SW) but this diet doesn’t work like that. For starters, if you are doing the Fast 800 (you posted in Welcome to BSD so I dont know) you are on a very low level of calories – just as it doesn’t allow you to store up exercise to increase calories. This is a completely different but balanced system to shock the body into shedding internal fat which is the important bit for diabetics and everyone else too but especially diabetics as it can free up the liver and pancreas to do their job better. Cutting to 700 and then having a blow out on your birthday would, of course, have an effect on your weight loss. BUT, and I will get into trouble for saying this, you are not diabetic and it will not kill you to relax for just one meal. The problem is that most people cannot stop at that and you have already done the hard work of getting the carbs out of your system so you dont want to spoil that. I would suggest that you both stick with the 800 and agree to have a small treat on the day, but stay away from the carbs. Hubby has the right idea with the steak without chips and that would do little harm. The carbs are the important thing on this plan for diabetics. Enjoy your meal, have a glass of champagne and get straight back on it the next day. Remember it might stall your weight loss or you might even gain but dont let that derail you. We are all here doing this plan, sometimes over and over (you cannot live on 800 for life) but we keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi there me too, the Fast 800 is a long haul not sprint, so one can expect fluctuations in cal intake day on day anyway, so the idea of saving calories to allow for a larger intake later on is fine, if you can realistically manage on only 700 for 5 days. However sunshine’s caution re: carbs is worth heeding. Do allow yourself some leaway to celebrate you special day though, enjoy it and be sure to get straight back to the full on BSD straight after. You’ll probably find doing this, that any transgression has little impact and any small gain will be quickly dealt with.

Have a happy birthday and enjoy.!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Me too,
    There seems to be a number of common themes on this forum, one of which is people who have done a few weeks low carb, have lost the weight they wanted to loose, but then come back to the forums months or years later because some of the weight has crept on again. – I think that those of us who have a lot of weight to loose have an advantage because we spend much longer on low carbs having multiple rounds of 8 weeks and our taste buds and what we consider to be a treat change during that time.
    I think that its important to get into the mindset that moving to low carb as well as monitoring calories is going to be a change for life, not just for 8 weeks, especially for a diabetic, but doesn’t mean that there can never be a day in the rest of your life that you can’t celebrate with treats. – Its just that the nature of those treats needs to change. If you are eating low carb and low cal and are loosing weight then you know that once you reach your targets if there is a day when you eat more carbs and cals so that you put weight on you have the option of cutting back on carbs and cals for a time to get back to your maintenance.

Please log in or register to post a reply.