Rise in blood sugars towards end of 8 week plan??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AnnaP
    on

Diagnosed with type 2.5 years ago. Started proper exercise and low carb, like never maintained before and lost 4 stone and been maintaining HbA1C below 40 ever since. In the last year I’ve put back a stone and HBA1C crept up to 42 so felt I needed something to get me back on track. Now on week 7 and that stone lost again.
    I was feeling great and blood sugar readings almost all in the 5s so felt I had judged nudged everything back. I only test now and again, but was testing a bit more often to see what was happening. In the last week or so I’ve been regularly back in the 6.3s, 6.4s first thing and often still there by 11.00 even though I don’t eat in the morning ( Because I find this suits me) so at the end of a 15 hr fast.
    I ‘m in the middle of an extremely stressful time at work and not sleeping properly and have had the occasional bit of extra carb/calories.
    This rise may well be an example of the impact of stress/poor sleep, which I am trying to tackle, so I would be glad to hear of others experiences.
    I am, however, just a bit worried that I’ve been so good on lo carb/lo calories for the 6 weeks and that the slightest wobble (e.g a sandwich in the middle of a long , tiring , 22,000 steps day – just to keep going) means that I don’t cope with it well and blood sugars go up – the opposite of what I was hoping for! Normally I find that if I’m in good place the occasional bit of carb is Ok.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Hi stress = hi cortisol; hi-cortisol = hi sugar. Hi-sugar = hi levels of insulin and raised insulin will make you eat more and move less. Essentially insulin is the storage hormone. So ideally find which carbs spike your sugars and which don’t – and avoid those that do. Hope that helps? Graham

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Anna, cortisol does raise blood sugars, as Graham has stated. But you may just be hyper-sensitive to carbohydrates. If experience has shown that you respond poorly to a sandwich then skip that choice if you can — everyone has their own personal carbohydrate threshold.

• posted by AnnaP
    on

Thanks to the two comments so far. I guess the question I was trying to ask was had anyone experienced a rise ( small but distinct) in general blood sugar levels towards the end of the 8 week diet, when at the start there was a definite decrease. This is despite sticking with it, losing a stone, eating pretty low carb and certainly according to the diet plan and no more than maybe an occasional 1000 calories day. Could the diet have done anything to make me suddenly much more sensitive to the occasional bit of carb? Actually the slight gain has been particularly noticable in my early morning fasting readings, which have always had a slight tendency to be a bit higher than my night time reading. e.g 6.4 after a 15 hour fast and 800 calories the day before following the diet guideline – where as in the first few weeks it had come down nicely to around 5.3/5.4. It could be that cortisol is enough to raise blood sugars, but it’s disappointing when I was doing this to really keep things under control/ give my pancreas the best chance to sort itself out.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

If your readings are higher in the morning it could be due to the dawn phenomenon. There have been many posts on this. Sunshinegirl’s are particularly useful. Just type it into the search box.

Please log in or register to post a reply.