Not losing quickly

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sophiesgran
    on

Started on diet 26 Sept have stuck religiously to meal plans started walking 20 minutes (hip issu) have worked up to 65 mins daily. Day 21 I have lost only 5 kg & been stuck for a week on same weight. Am 71, 171cm . Starting weight was 84.5kg
    Any suggestions for a reboot would be most welcome as feeling a bit despondent.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sounds like you are doing pretty well ! 11lbs in less than 3 weeks is really good. Everybody loses at different rates, some much slower than you. Often there’s a plateau around the third week so if you are experiencing that just keep going and you will get through it. Be Happy and just stay with the plan it does work and obviously is!

• posted by Sophiesgran
    on

Thankyou for encouragement. Keep reading about huge weight loss in first weeks & bit disappointed in mine.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Anything over 1kg a week is considered fast (and dangerous -ha!) by the nhs, and personally I’m struggling to get more than that, so yes 5kg in three weeks is really good. Lots of people on pretty much any kind of diet manage to lose 3 to 4kg in the first week, but very rarely manage to keep up anything like that rate of loss.
    I wonder if the daily walk means that your body is having to repair too often. I read a very good article a few weeks back (sorry I can’t find it again) explaining how our bodies prioritise repair and muscle building, and are not good at burning fat while that is happening. Perhaps you are building muscle, as well as losing fat. Muscle is heavier than fat, so can hide the fat loss from the scales
    Another possibility, as it’s early days and your weight loss pattern fits with classic diets, is that your carb intake is too high and you haven’t started ketosis. Personally, I find starch is death to weight loss, and I have to avoid grain and starchy veg like the plague. Lots of the recipes in the book have too much starchy stuff for me.

The world is full of people that think weight loss is simple (eat less), but it really isn’t simple at all.
    Fingers crossed that the scales start giving you encouragement soon!
    The bottom line though, is that this WOE is much healthier than classic ‘starch as staple’ diets.

• posted by Sophiesgran
    on

Hi,
    Thankyou so much for taking time to provide that information. I will certainly take note of starch in the recipes. Will also do some reading about the exercise issue. I am grateful for the encouragement.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Greetings, Sophiesgran, and welcome to the forum! I noticed
    your post today because we’re in the same age bracket (soon
    to be 69). I think that your loss thus far is quite respectable!
    Try not to fall into the trap of comparing your rate of loss to
    others. I know it’s tempting, to say the least, but it can be
    counterproductive when we all hit those inevitable little plateaus,
    very common in week 3 or 4. I’ve lost a great deal of weight
    on this WOE, but every body and every journey is different.
    Many of us “maintainers” have tricks to jump start a temporary
    slowdown, and we’d all be happy to share our personal
    remedies if you’d like to include your stats, i.e.,amount of water
    you drink, calories per day, amount of net carbs, etc. Also,
    if you type “plateau” into the search box, you will find a lot
    of information there that may be of help to you. Keep posting!
    (I lost 140+lbs in 10 months, and I never lost more than 14lbs in
    any one month). We are all different 🙂

Best of luck to you. You can do this!

Allie

• posted by MichaelT
    on

5kgs is great for 3 weeks. Keep going!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Isn’t that nearly a stone? In three weeks? That’s pretty amazing – and guessing from starting weight and height you don’t have much to lose in grand scheme of things, so it will be slower. Doesn’t Michael Mosely somewhere say 10%of weight? Must read book again. Anyhow, to be it sounds as though you are doing well, and if you follow advice on here and keep on then in another 3 weeks you would be so much further on. I’ve lost 11kg so far, am now 1.5kg off ‘healthy’ weight, that’s taken about 11 or 12 weeks but I think it’s faster than any other diet I’ve ever done. It felt quite fast anyhow!

• posted by Sophiesgran
    on

A huge thank you to all who took the time to post replies. I am encouraged by all responses and will soldier on. I value all the advice & will implement suggestions.. Good luck to you all in your journey.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

As folk have said, different people lose weight at different rates. I am 80 and in January 2016 weighed 15 stone (210 lbs, 95kgs) whihc gave me a BMI of 28.4 – well overweight (I am 6 feet tall). For many years I have fluctuated between 14 and 15 stone (a looong time ago I was 16 stone 13, but that’s another story) and the thing was that as soon as I got down to 14 stone, in no time I found I was back to 15! Over 2016 I got back down again and on 1/1/17 I was 14-2. Then I discovered the BSD and started it 26/1/17. By the end of the 8 weeks I was down to 12-7 and despite only keeping to the general guidelines of the BSD, and being ‘naughty’ from time to time, I have managed to stay within the range of 12-5 to 12-9 virtually all the time since the 8 weeks were up – so different from my experiences in years gone by. Current BMI is 24 – and actually, there is a growing body of opinion that for the elderly – over 65 (a category I reluctantly accept includes myself) the accepted NICE criteria for BG and BMI are over zealous and fail to recognise in a ‘one size fits all’ approach that BG naturally increases with age and so should BMI.
    Mike

• posted by Sophiesgran
    on

Thank you for your response Mike, you have done really well, congratulations.
    I can happily report the loss has started again! Have lost a further 2kg so hopefully this will continue.
    Thanks again for the encouragement.
    Sandra

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, all. Good to know others have plateaued in Weeks 3-4 on the BSD. Having been pleased that I lost half a stone in the first 2 weeks, I then lost a pound innweek 3. Now I am only losing a couple of ounces a day in week 4. I am determined to reverse my Type 2 Diabetes though, so hope it works by the end of Week 8. Fewer carbs in future though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.