no longer have gall bladder so what about the fat?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by janbee
    on

after I had my gall bladder removed I was advised to eat low or no fat. this is fine for the gall bladder issue but is not working for me weight wise and I have been told i am pre diabetic. So what is the advise for me?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

According to a number of websites I’ve looked at it is perfectly feasible if you take it in small steps.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Janbee, I had my gall bladder removed 12 years ago and was told to eat low fat. Just as it is not true that low fat makes you slim, it also does not have a good effect on the liver just as fake sugars. The liver cannot deal with the chemicals in adulterated (altered) food so turns it into an ethynol which is toxic to the body and gives your liver a much harder job. When you eat real fats like olive oil, nuts and avocados your liver sees them as natural and turns them into something it can deal with. I watched a video on this recently from the thread called Take A Look At This but cannot remember all the details but your liver treats fake foods the same as it treats alcohol and the work involved causes damage. Hope that helps.

Good, I have time to EDIT: the video is called Sugar, The Bitter Truth – yes it is about sugar but the same applies to artificially low fat foods, the ones that have been altered, not those that are naturally low fat. You can find this on UTube

• posted by Squidge
    on

I had my gallbladder removed and haven’t had a problem with the BSD – i started in January, got down to a healthy weight in March and have maintained ever since. Losing our gallbladder doesn’t stop us processing fat, it just means that instead of bile being stored in it between meals, it continuosly flows into our intestines. I think telling people to eat low fat is misleading – what is needed is to not eat large amounts of fatty food, rather than to eat lots of reduced fat alternatives. This diet is relatively high fat, but at 800 calories a day, you don’t actually consume large quantities if it.

I’d start slowly eg switch to full fat milk and yoghurt, but initially have less than you would have of the lower fat alternatives, so your overall fat intake is only very slightly increased*. Make up the shortfall in calories with low carb veg, and lean protein. If that seems OK, have a little more of the high fat food until you’re following the diet completely, or feel you’re consuming as much fat as is sensible for your body. But do talk to your doctor if you’re unsure, and ask exactly how much fat it would be OK for you to eat.

*I did this after mine was removed and gradually returned to my normal diet (which unfotunately at the times was high carb, so I stayed overweight for a few more years).

• posted by CaravanSue
    on

Saw the surgeon on Wednesday and had my gall bladder out on Fri (6/7), home now feeling sore but ok.
    I asked my surgeon what I should eat and his reply was’eat whatever you want but if it makes you sick, don’t eat it!’
    So, I had a coffee this morning and felt crampy afterwards, so I am going to give it a miss for a few days and have green tea with lemon to see how that goes. Also had 2 poached eggs but don t think it was them.
    Any advice is really welcome.

Please log in or register to post a reply.