Newbie here saying Hi πŸ˜ƒ

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fiona@6
    on

Just about to start the 8 week plan any advice from you all would be most appreciated, keen but worried

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi and welcome Fiona@6
    Well done on taking the decision to make this change for yourself. I can offer the following:
    Weigh and measure yourself before starting.
    Weigh, measure and record EVERYTHING you consume.
    Remember not all calories are equal, check the carbs as well.
    Hydration, Hydration, Hydration – if in doubt, have another glass of water.
    Make good use of the forum – it was what got me to my end goal and has meant I’ve been able to maintain successfully. Feel free to join any thread that feels relevant to you and I’m sure you’ll receive a warm welcome. If you want to search on a particular topic, use the search box in the top right of the page.
    Please keep posting and let us know how you progress – we love an excuse to celebrate!

• posted by Fiona@6
    on

Thanks so much for the welcome and really useful advice πŸ‘

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Fiona, a little more information about your diabetes would be helpful. How long, are you on meds, what are your current numbers (HbA1c or daily tests). You need to take care of yourself as, if you do this properly you will see a rapid reduction in BG numbers and this needs to be carefully monitored to prevent hypos. The more information you give us the more we can help you. We are not doctors but can give you the benefit of our experience. Remember, if you have any worries, discuss with a medical person, doctor or diabetic nurse.

• posted by Fiona@6
    on

Hi thanks for replying, my last Hb1ac was 59 and cholesterol a bit high but my diabetes nurse recommended this programme as se thinks it will help. I have stopped my meds (empaglaflozin) over a week ago and have been ok. The problem is for years I have tried low fat diets slimmingworld , weight watchers etc so it’s quite an adjustment . I’m very keen for it to work but know it won’t be easy .

• posted by IML99
    on

Hi Fiona,
    I’m just starting out too and looking for some advice. Hope you don’t mind me joining for forum for some motivation.

• posted by Fiona@6
    on

Hi not a problem and hopefully we will both succeed and lots of luck, everyone seems very helpful πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜€

on

Hi Fiona, it is great that you have your diabetic nurse on board with this and have her approval to stop the meds. I think we have all been there with the low fat, low sugar, it is a hard change to get your head around. The hardest thing will be for you to accept fats into your life, but more about that some other time.

If you stick to the main principle of this diet for diabetics it is to not eat the white carbs, so the list is… bread or wheat products, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar, processed breakfast cereals and other processed foods. Obviously it will be difficult to start with but believe me it will be worth it. You will need to find other things to fill your plate and the main thing is vegetables (but avoid underground root veg). Do you have a plan. Have you ditched things from your kitchen cupboards, have you done a shop and planned a few meals to take you over the next few days. Oh, and do you have the BSD book (not the Fast800) which is specifically for diabetics. Although basically the same diet there is much more information for you which will be relevant to diabetes. Let us know what you need to know and how you are getting on. Do not struggle on your own, no question is too small or silly, we have all been there.
    Welcome too to IML99, all information is useful to all users whether you are diabetic or not, the principles are the same.

Just remembered, a good resource for you both is dietdoctor.com where you will find some good illustrations on what foods have what carbs – dont worry about your levels yet, just try to reduce or cut out as much as you can. Also, he has some good ideas for recipes.

• posted by Fiona@6
    on

Thanks your post is very helpful, I agree with you about the fats going to take a while to get used to that, I have had a clear out and cupboards look bare πŸ˜‰ But my BSD book comes tomorrow and am all set, will weigh myself and take measurements as previously I seem to lose inches faster than pounds. I will be keeping on the forums as will be needing lots of advice to begin with, and appreciate all the help I can get from people who are doing this successfully πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

on

Fiona, when you have read the book you will be full of questions. We are all here for you. If you follow SunnyB’s advice you cant go far wrong, cut the carbs, increase fluids, take account of the calories and use good fats (especially good for your cholesterol) like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil for dressings and rapeseed oil for cooking. Forget about low this and that be it fat or sugar, remember they have added something else to pad it out – what have they added – that is the problem, we dont really know, rice flour, chemicals etc. Use butter but sparingly, eat full fat cheese in small amount, the taste is so much better you wont need so much. I will search for a post I know gives you about 20 points to help you and will re-post later. Dont forget to have a menu plan, even if just for a couple of days so you dont find yourself having to turn to old habits.

• posted by Fiona@6
    on

Hi thanks I do have a question are we allowed to use stock cubes to make soups, or does it have to be bone broth. I’m ready to start weighed myself and taken measurements 😱 And going shopping tomorrow for bits and pieces got my recipe book but not my plan book yet . πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Fiona, it’s really great that you are making your own soups; please do post recipes! There are many vegetarians, who would not use bone broth as a base anyway, but this really is not so prescriptive. IStock cubes are fine! Your post reminds me to look back on the recipes section for the roasted broccoli and cheddar soup, which is delish! All best to you and it would be great to see you on other threads too, whichever appeal to you!

on

Hi Fiona, have you got into the book yet. Another thing I use for making soup is Marmite (or other brand) and sometimes Miso paste. Both give that wonderful umami taste.

• posted by Fiona@6
    on

Hi still not got my book yet but just plodding on ,enjoying reading the posts and getting all the info I can. I used M&S chicken stock made with bones and tastes good.

Please log in or register to post a reply.