New to BSD – Struggling to limit carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Avidgooner
    on

Hi guys,

Ive done my first week, started on Monday, and I seem to be struggling to control my carb intake. Im not eating pasta, bread or rice at all, and have cut out all my snacking on biscuits and cakes, but when logging my carb numbers on myfitnesspal, I still have very high numbers.

I’m aiming to lose about a stone, im 6ft and about 13 1/2 stone – ive been aiming to stick to about 1k calories a day which has been easier than I expected, but I haven’t really lost any weight – in fact I seem to have put on a cpl pounds!

Regular foods ive been eating this week has been greek-style yoghurt (cant seem to find actual bloody greek yoghurt!) With berries and a small handful of nuts, been eating eggs (either boiled and cpl times fried), salads with some tinned fish and had cpl gammon steaks – once while out wkth friends at the restaurant.

Any further advice would be much appreciated to helping me kick on wjth the weight loss ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, the main thing with this diet is to cut out the BAD carbs which you seem to have done. From when you have said you are eating i cant see many carbs in that, in fact I am struggling to see hardly any at all. Being honest, how many carbs are you eating. How many carbs do you want to have daily? Some aim for 50g per day others less and some even more. There is no ideal level as long as you have stopped eating the starchy and processed foods then you should lose weight. I see you are using MyFitnessPal which is as good as any but can be inaccurate to about 10% either way. Also, there are different ways of counting carbs, which to be honest I dont bother about, but there is a difference between carbs and total carbs (see why I dont bother). If I can be honest here, firstly this plan is 800 cals not 1000, although that shouldn’t make too much difference in the overall plan of things as 1000 is still very low, secondly, you are not very overweight and maybe not carrying as much fat as someone with 3 or 4 stone to lose and your body just needs a little more time to give up the fat. Thirdly, are you carrying fat or are you more muscle. Just my thoughts on why you are not losing, unless of course, you are including something you are not counting i.e. I sometimes forget to count the oil in cooking thinking it wont be much then see that 1 teaspoon is over 100 cals. Or popping a few nuts mindlessly while watching TV in the evening, not saying it is you but it all adds up.

• posted by Avidgooner
    on

I guess my main target was just to feel healthier within myself, to have more energy and try lose a little abdominal fat.

Not really snacked much bar maybe a handful of nuts or grapes, but only once a day not gorging on a packet. Ive done a cpl 800 days, but fpund that the extra 200 calories allows me to cater for a small snacl at some point and keeps me full.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you dont have any health problems then ditching the carbs will be all you need to see results. Maybe not as quick as you see some here but we are all different. I am diabetic and saw an immediate drop in blood glucose, within 3 or 4 days, so losing the carbs should be good for anyone. Sorry to have to tell you but grapes are full of sugar ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Avidgooner – I noticed that you made no reference to liquids in your original post. Are you drinking alcohol and are you keeping well hydrated? I personally find alcohol definitely impedes weight loss and good hydration essential for weight loss to happen, so being aware of your liquid intake and keep it high is important. It’s unclear what you mean by ‘high numbers’ when referring to you carb intake, but if you think they are still too high, try pulling them down a little to see if that helps to kick start things. Hope things start to fall into place for you soon.

• posted by Avidgooner
    on

Hi,

I was never a big drinker so cutting out alcohol hasn’t been difficult, and same applies to bread,pasta and rice. I drink plenty of water and always usually have a bottle with me, even in the house. I do drink a lot of green tea and black coffee, and maybe two cups of tea with milk (usually semi-skimmed as thats what gf prefers).

Carbs have been floating around 60g-80g last few days, one day at 50g but one day at 100g. I’ll try to really knuckle down and reduce the carbs this week

Please log in or register to post a reply.