New Starter

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HappyChappy
    on

Hi All,
    I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after being hospitalised with cellulitis. The routine blood test results came back with a blood sugar level of 21 mmol/dL. Over the next week in hospital on IV antibiotics I lost about 10% of my body weight. Despite being on metformin my blood sugar remained in the 13-18 range. After discharge, I spent another week on oral antibiotics at home and lost another kg. During that week my blood sugar levels actually rose despite following the recommended low fat diet from the hospital and my GP. My metformin dose was increased from 2 tablets a day to three and then my Hb1ac results came back at 9.8%. My GP increased my metformin dose to four tablets a day and started me on Jardiance. My wife bought me the Blood sugar diet book and after checking with my GP, I started to follow it. Withing 48 hours my fasting BSL had dropped to 3.7, I halved my dose of metformin, no change. The following day I stopped taking the metformin completely and the Jardiance. My fasting BSL bumped slightly to 6.0. I started taking a walk straight after dinner and my BSL has been in the normal range every day for the last week.

This has been a dramatic improvement for me. I go back to see my GP tomorrow and expect him to be more than a little surprised as I think he was expecting to be starting me on insulin. I will be sticking with this way of eating although I am going straight onto a maintenance type approach as I got a pretty good head start due to the infection and rapid weight loss in hospital. I’m really looking forward to getting a lower Hb1ac result and being able to say “I used to be diabetic”.

I just wanted to share these results so far and say a huge thank you to Dr Mosely and all the researchers for their work in developng and publicising this diet and the research it’s based on. What a shame that i didn’t get pointed straight at this diet by my treating doctors as soon as I was diagnosed. The medical profession here in Australia is a little behind the eight ball as far as diabetic diet is concerned. In hospital the diabetic diet was low fat high carb and the diet sheet handed out by the GP was the same. It didn’t work for me, the Blood Sugar Diet has worked beyond my wildest hopes.
    Kind regards,
    John

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi John
    Welcome to the forums! First of all, congratulations on turning things around so swiftly. Unfortunately, yours is a familiar story with GPs and hospitals giving people diet recommendations that make things worse, just because they have to adhere to the recommended guidelines. Thankfully you have a GP who is happy for you to follow this way and is open to this way of eating. We have a thread on here called Take a Look at This and there is all sorts of information and podcasts which I think you may find helpful and interesting. There are GPs, health professionals, dietitians and many others trying to spread the word that this way of eating is the way forward and that the recommended guidelines are outdated and need to be revised in light of new science.
    See you around and keep up the good work.
    Kazz

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome – great results John and impressively quickly too. Hope that your blood results come back as you hope, but bear in mind – as I understand it – the Hb1ac reflects what has been happening for sometime before the test was taken. Not sure when your last test was or how long you have been eating the BSD way, but it might be a little too soon yet for the non-diabetic verdict. Don’t let that put you off though, ‘cos I’m sure it will happen. You sound very focused and determined and it’s great you have the support of your doctor, so I’m confident you will achieve your goal.

As Kazz says, there is lots of info and knowledge to be found on the forum, so do have a good look around the threads and shout out if you have any questions. Congrats and keep going!

• posted by HappyChappy
    on

Hi SunnyB and KazzUK,
    Yes, I appreciate that the Hb1ac test is a long term average, I only had it done about two weeks ago and while my blood sugar levels have dropped dramatically on the diet, I don’t plan on repeating that test for another three months for my next review with the GP. It might not be back to normal then, it might take a little longer as it was quite high, but I’m very confident that it will get back to normal in the next year or so at worst.
    Thank you for your encouragement.

Please log in or register to post a reply.