New around here

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Moojar
    on

Hi All,

55 year old male from Australia here.

I am about to commence the 800 cal BSD. I sort of already have – after a day of restricted diet then a day of liquid-only fasting for a check-up procedure in my local hospital this week, I have been doing 800 calories for the three days since then. Once I finish reading Michael’s book (on the weekend) I’ll no doubt need to tweak my carbs consumption etc., but my official start date was 1 November as far as I am concerned.

At 55 years old, it is time. How many fat 60-somethings do you see, right?

Day three, and only coffee and 125g of Greek yogurt + 20 blueberries + 5g of sunflower kernels in my belly so far today. And I realise I’m not really hungry. May not have been so pleasant to speak to me yesterday though. 🙂

I am not diabetic that I know of, but the admissions nurse at the hospital found that hard to believe – I have a BMI of 38. She seemed convinced I’m knocking on the door.

I have tried other diets but always gone back to my old habits and regained the weight plus some. But this is for life now – after the eight weeks I intend going Mediterranean eating plan for the rest of my life, 5:2 periodically to get down to my eventual goal weight. (Hey hey, I love tuna, salmon and olive oil. How good is this?)

I have a friend who was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. He did the BSD with amazing results – I hadn’t seen him for a while and was hesitant to say anything regarding his weight loss in case it was due to a terminal illness. That’s how dramatic the change was in him. (Actually he looks like a goanna now, so skinny and with no fat under his chin. But don’t say anything! 😉

Once I realised my friends’ diet is associated with Michael Mosley I was in. We get Michael’s shows here in Australia, I am a fan as well as an admirer.

Summer is just kicking in here in Sydney – 28 Celsius here today (at lunchtime). Good time to begin my lifestyle change.

So, good luck to all, good luck to me.

• posted by FrenchFemme
    on

Hi Moojar, and welcome to the site – there many many helpful people on here, more knowledgeable than me, who will be able to answer any questions you may have. Sounds like you are primed for success as you already enjoy BSD-type food! Here in France it is now Autumn with Winter on its way (but a beautiful sunny morning) so I envy you the coming summer!

• posted by Moojar
    on

Thanks you FrenchFemme!

Ah, a message from a French lady – it was worth joining the forum just for that. 🙂

My wife and I actually visited France – Paris – this year for the first time, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Such an enchanting city, I am so happy we visited. It was just early spring then, and we did so much walking – wonderful.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Moojar, welcome to the forum! Your previous post was delightful,
    and I look forward to seeing how you get on. How great is it to
    already know a friend who has been so successful! I’m not a
    french femme, but will an American in your corner help? 🙂
    I’ve lost an embarrassing 146lbs on this plan and have maintained
    it for @ 6 months. I was that fat (obese) 60 something person
    to which you refer. You can do this! If you have any questions,
    don’t hesitate to ask. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience
    here, and we love to talk about the BSD….

Best of luck to you on your journey. It will transform your life.

Allie

• posted by FrenchFemme
    on

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am an English woman living in France – so sort of French by association! I agree that Paris is a lovely city; it has bee quite a while since I was there and after 5 years of rural living I’m not sure how I would react to the bustle of a city!

• posted by RachelH
    on

Welcome aboard Moojar! I am just coming up to three weeks on the diet and finding it alot easier than expected. I struggled to get active the first couple of weeks but I’m doing better now, tryng to get 10, 000 steps in and doing a bit of gym and swim here and there. I’m using two shakes and one meal a day as I just find it easier although I’m hoping to switch up to more meals as I go along. If you want to make some big changes in your life this is a great place to be! Welcome again and best of luck!

• posted by Moojar
    on

@frenchfemme

Awww. 😀

Well, at least I don’t have to feel bad about not throwing in a few French phrases. 🙂

We went to London too – eight nights and did all the tourist sights, now we want to go back and just wander the streets and “experience” London, like we did in Paris.

• posted by Moojar
    on

RachelH

Thank you for that. I’m a bit surprised by how “easy” it is too – my first day I went close to 1000 calories and thought what a joke, who can survive on 800? But yesterday – my 4th day – I was more than 60 calories short of 800, ate an apple to get up there. Then I finished reading Michael’s book last night and realise I didn’t need to have the apple, 800 is just an average and on other days I will go a little bit over.

I’m thinking of shakes too actually – having read the meal plans and started a shopping list last night, I realise I have almost none of the ingredients. Yeah, I’m no foodie – more a baked beans on toast sorta guy. 🙂 This morning I am going over the BSD recipe book and try to construct my own meal plan with fewer ingredients, with the intention of adding dishes each week as I build up my ingredient stock. Of course I should have prepared before I started, but there you go – probably shows how I got into this blubbery mess in the first place.

Three reasons I’m leaning away from the shakes:
    – I’ve done those before, then gone back to my old habits and regained weight. I am determined that this is it – it is time to lose this weight once and for all.
    – Which flows into my second reason – I need to move away from “baked beans type of guy”, because those are my old habits. If I prepare the meals for the BSD, then I’m learning same valuable new skills as well as losing weight.
    – My wife doesn’t think I can do this. She has watched me yo-yo diet for years, and I’m pretty sure she has resigned herself to a retirement without me – as a widow. Well, I’m going to prove her wrong and delight her at the same time. And hopefully delay her widowhood by many years. 🙂
    – Oh, fourth reason – I work from home. That’s part of the (weight) problem, but also gives me time to cook an omelette for breakfast and prepare something “complicated” for dinner, etc..

But as long as we all make the lifestyle change required, all good eh?

Cheers.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh mon ami Moojar, Je suis desole tu ne parles pas francaise. C’est une langue tres belle Je suis sûr que vous pouvez le faire et ta femme sera très surprise et fière de toi. Bonne chance et bonne continuation.

P.S.
    les haricots vous font péter

Would hate for you to be disappointed at the lack of French LOL 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Moojar, great to hear you sounding so focused and determined.

I agree, forget the shakes and eat real food, much more satisfying IMO. I reached goal early May 17 and have kept it off since (in fact 8lbs under goal atm) and all by eating real food, sometimes fancy recipes, but more often just good, BSD friendly ingredients prepared simply, with the minimum of fuss – and I do make a mean omelet, one of my favourite standbys for any meal of the day.

Keep it up, and good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.