Morning blood sugars are at their all time high! Help!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rachel 1969
    on

Hi I’m pre diabetic and just started a no sugar, very low carb diet. Usually my morning blood sugars were under 7 and now they have increased to as much as 8.1! I’m really scared I have brought on full blown type 2 diabetes. Feeling really confused 😔…..
    I’ve been doing this diet for a week and lost 4lbs I’m 5ft8 and 179lbs. Please help x

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Rachel 1969, see attached article. It suggests that an early morning rise in glucose is not problematic unless it fails to go down and continues to rise through the morning.

It would suggest that you continue to monitor it, I would think at least another week or two and recheck it around 11 am (I assume you would have had something to eat by then as well….something with some protein and fat and low carb). High fibre would be good as well.

If you continue to see it stay high, then you might see your doctor. But as you are only prediabetic and not full blown diabetic yet, you have some wiggle room and time to see if it settles down later in the morning.

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/controlling-the-dawn-phenomenon/

• posted by Rachel 1969
    on

Many thanks for your help and information Luvtcook, you have made me feel much better, I have been worrying about my levels. I will continue to monitor and fingers crossed it will go down. I will look at link too! Many thanks again x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you are doing a fasting morning test then you could be suffering from the Dawn Effect (phenonomen but I cant spell it). Because you are following a strict diet your liver notices low glucose and during the night pumps out glycogen to stop you from dying in your sleep. Yes your liver is very dramatic but it doesn’t know you are going to get some more food soon. Anyway, what you have to do is show the liver that you are not starving by having a small snack around 10pm before bed. This should stop it from detecting low glucose and trying to counter that. Be careful what you eat, it must be BSD friendly, I usually have a slice of ham or chicken or a piece of cheese (around 1.5 oz). Let us know how you get on.

• posted by Rachel 1969
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl! Love that name!

Yes after reading post yes it looks like I might be suffering from DEP! Bodies are amazing things. I will definitely try what you suggest, it looks like a plan! I will try a little cheese tonight….
    I must look after my body now, this is so silly! I’m really trying hard to shift weight and lower my BS. I have struggled with my weight for over 30 years, up and down through the years. All the information we are given is so bad, low fat diets which makes you so hungry you just end up eating to much and I do love my food. I have now realised I am an emotional eater and eat to cover my feelings, so am working on this now! Thanks again little miss sunshine 😊 x

• posted by Gattina
    on

Best of luck Rachel – hope the late night cheese helps. This diet really does help bring the blood sugar down – I’ve had a significant change in my blood glucose. Recognising your problem is half the battle to conquering it – so hope this works.
    I look forward to hearing your updates and progress.

• posted by Rachel 1969
    on

Hi everybody!

Wow amazing! I took my bloods this morning and they have gone down to 7.1 so am super excited! Will defo keep up eating 1oz of cheese before bed…
    I know this is very early days but I will try and keep focused and not beat myself up to much if I have a tiny slip!
    Thanks guys for all you support 🤗😃 Warm wishes to you all X

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Rachel 1969 glad it worked for you. Just one word of caution, cheese is very high in fat and calories, it might be a good idea to have a change now and then. Of course, if it was a tablespoon of cottage cheese that would be fine but do mix your choices up a little to stay fresh and not interfere with your weight loss.

Please log in or register to post a reply.