Long journey ahead of me..

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fernie
    on

Hello!
    The weight has slowly creeped on over the last two years, nearly three stone! I did give up smoking earlier this year, and had a stint on mind meds that piled on the weight , now free of those.

I’m quite good on the exercise front, I do yoga and motorbike trail riding however I can’t fit into my motorbike gear!

My granny died of T2 complications in her early 60s and I have the same body shape as her, the weight is piling on around my tummy. I’ve hit a grim realisation that I will end up in an early grave if I do not do something drastic about the 4 stone I am carrying around with me. I get gout pain in my toe, indigestion, breathlessness, I’m struggling to tie my shoelaces, and my scratches don’t heal as quickly as they should.

Can the doc do a test to see if I am pre-diabetic?

Right, lets get to it! Wish me luck.

• posted by Fernie
    on

and another good thing, I have exactly 8 weeks til my holiday in France, where I want to enjoy red wine, cheeses and a little bread.

Strangely I’ve had loads of camping trips, social events, works dos, birthdays, picnics up until now, but nothing scheduled in my diary for the next 8 weeks, apart from one weekend camping trip with my OH, so I’ve got no excuses!

• posted by Arianwen
    on

You can get it checked if your glucose is on the high side but not yet diabetic levels, so I suppose pre diabetes. I have yearly blood checks for the thyroid drugs I take. Last year I got a phone all from my doctor to say my results were back & he needed to see me. I thought my thyroid pill needed adjusting but, no, he said my glucose was on the high side. That’s when I turned to this diet. So if you can get a typical blood test at your GP or walk in hospital clinic they should be able to tell.
    You’ve got a good eight weeks till your holidays, perfect time to start, it’s surprising how quickly you feel better & start to see results. I’m just coming to the end of my third week & I’ve lost 10lb since I started, though this week not as much as the first two, just a pound.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If your doctor wont do it then I think you can get it done in Boots. If you do that make sure you have fasted for at least 12 hours, not even a cup of tea. That means you might have to make an appointment for an early morning test. If it is just a finger prick test then it wont mean very much unless it is unusually high in which case you can go to your doctor with that evidence for further tests. Maybe your family history might convince the doctor to do it. It would cost him nothing for a finger prick but the same rules apply, fast.

• posted by Fernie
    on

W3 D 2
    Lost 11lbs
    More concentration at work, got used to having times of hunger, food tastes better, super organised prepping breakfast and lunch each day (which to be fair only takes 10 mins to sling some salad and ham, and yoghurt and berries in a box). Had a testing weekend away with parents who don’t understand WOE (I bought you loads of fruit for your diet dear, oh dear!) but no booze and no carbs. Myfitnesspal and my garmin smart watch have been a godsend and I love data and stats. I plumbed in all my historic weights into the app Libra that plots a weight loss or gain trend (like Happy scales but for Android), it is a much healthier and positive way of monitoring your weight. My resting heart rate has dropped from 79 to 68, which has to be a good thing. Indigestion gone, asthma gone, headaches gone, mood improved.

I haven’t measured my waist and hips since the start however my clothes are starting to feel a tad looser. I have two big bags of lovely clothes that do not fit me, I’m determined not to buy any new clothes until I shrink a bit.

I’m determined to shift the weight now as I love summer salads with all the fresh garden herbs, I’m not keen on soups and crave carbs in the winter.
    Cons: Have been physically tired, and a bit achey, I have learnt that hunger pangs do pass. I’ve been craving the texture of crunchyness that is not veg, so I bought myself some puffed pork crackling, that has hit the spot and low carb. Yum.

My next target is to get some more exercise in, the tiredness has put me off exercising, but I have been seriously busy shifting motorbike parts in boxes all weekend, my smart watch thinks I did the equivalent of 4 workouts. I’ve started Yoga with my mum at the local leisure centre, which helps with the relaxation and strength side of things.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

WOW! I was craving something crunchy so Ill have to look into the porky bits TYVM 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Fernie! I do wish you luck and loads of NICE surprises! Im into week 4 – 11kgs GONE!!!! WHAT AN UNEXPECTED BONUS!!! Not exercising because I am an older lady with plantar fasciitis at the moment,carb that aspect isnt hindering progress! Ive more than halved my BSL’s – have become an expert at restaurant level meals . . . and feel AMAZING. Only 1 day in all that time have I had a craving for carb anything . . . and that was for something CRUNCHY!!! I was so desperate for my RYVITA type crackerbread – (no fat or sugar but a whopping 50% carb hit!!!) – I was pacing the house!!!! I think I had a hardboiled egg and some peanut butter . . . 🙂 and that craving hasnt returned. I would suggest you dont look at this as a diet . . . more like a lifechange . . . a new eating “programme” direction with better choices which are retraining your body’s food response . . . telling it . . .”No longer will there be this or this coming on board – because now we are eating this, this and this, and you need to adjust to your new fuel”. Out for lunch 4 days ago . . . I read a menu and bypassed SO MANY OFFERINGS without hesitation . . . because in the 4 weeks since I have begun eliminating carbs, body has responded in an amazing way. One morning, I fancied toast with my poached eggs – and didnt even enjoy it. I left half of the one slice of my 85% less carb bread/toast. Thankfully I had no reaction via BSL – it is 2.5grms per slice . . ., but I can see the theory where if one was to start giving it carbs again . . . body could quite easily revert to old ways, given an old easy choice fuel, and it could well be back to the starting blocks for us. And if BSL’s are involved then . . . please dont regress – and Im doubting you will feel like it anyway 🙂 Im betting you will look a million dollars after (less than) – 8 weeks . . . and when you get to your wonderful holiday . . . Im thinking maybe you wont be even tempted by the breads and crackers etc.. I know Im not . . . and it wasnt hard to get rid of them from my menu 🙂 But its the HIDDEN carbs which are the traps . . . so please read every label SO CAREFULLY!!! ALL THE BEST TO YOU!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Your window of opportunity has arrived! Jump through and dont look at it as a “LONG-JOURNEY” because – IM POSITIVE if you do this right, there will be results in a week 🙂 Ive lost 11kgs in 4 weeks!!! Go for it!!!!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Fernie, you can ask your doctor for a test – but whether you’re pre diabetic or not, this diet will be beneficial and should help with some of your other medical problems too. More energy, better skin and improved digestion are ‘side effects’ noticed by many, myself included.

It might be a longish journey to losing 4 stone, but you’ll see a difference quite quickly, if you stick to the fast 800 – and after the initial period where your body adjusts (1 to 2 weeks) it gets much easier.

Well done for giving up smoking! That’s proof you can make positive changes to improve your health.

• posted by Fernie
    on

I am booked in for a fasting blood test and full set of bloods, but I understand that the regular test wouldn’t be of any value now I am eating 20g of carbs per day, my blood sugar level will be low surely? However I understand the Hc1ab may be more of an indicator of long term trends, I’m not sure if this is also a fasting test.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Fernie,
    I was diagnosed T2 diabetic last August. I’ve not had a fasting blood glucose test done at my GP’s but my understanding is it’ll give a one-off (snapshot) of what your blood glucose levels are like at that point. As others have said, I imagine if your levels were high the GP might re-test or do another test e.g. hba1c. If they’re within the normal range, that’ll be great for you to know.

The Hba1c test isn’t a fasting test and you’re right it is a longer-term test. It reflects your average blood glucose levels over the previous 8-12 weeks. As a Type II diabetic this is what I get done (initially every 3 months, now I’m in remission every 6 months).

So, if you had this test done the result would reflect the average blood glucose level across both the 3 weeks you’ve been doing the BSD but also a number of weeks before you started BSD. So, you’d need to bear this in mind.

I went to my GP practice and told them my symptoms and that I thought I might have diabetes and let them decide which was the best test for me. Whichever test you get, I think they’re still worth doing so you’ll know where you are with things.

Hope it goes well. Let us know how you go on. xx

Marie xx
    nb But you’re right about the BSD lowering blood sugar levels, it worked for me

• posted by Fernie
    on

Just a check in, on day 23, the last week I only lost 1lb, so hit the dreaded plateau! But this morning lost a lb so hopefully moving in the right direction. My carb daily intake is between 30 and 50, might try and get it down to 20 per day, but would have to cut out avocado, the little bit of cherries on my yog, the odd half a carrot or leek.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Fernie! Avocado has so much fiber in it that the carbs are negligent. 1/4 of one is 68.75 cal.
    and <1 carb. I guess it depends on what size serving you are using, though. Fruit is always
    something to watch out for…an astounding number of carbs lurk there.
    An actual plateau is represented as no weight loss for 2 weeks or more. Fluctuations on the
    scale happen to us all. Often when the numbers on the scales disappoint us, wonderful
    things are still happening internally, or inches are being lost. Weight loss isn’t linear, so
    don’t get discouraged 🙂 It will happen, you just need to stick with it, and trust in the process!

Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m sorry Fernie. I meant negligible 🙂

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Fernie! The best advice I can offer is . . . IGNORE the scales! Hide them! Less stress of “what do I weight today . . .?” Im sure will help you relax and enjoy the change of lifestyle . . . rather than focusing on what is it doing . . . the BIGGER picture doesnt need to be obscured by the immediate one 🙂 Im elated at my weight DISCARD – (Im now during week 5) – but maybe because that was a huge excess, maybe my body responded immediately to me giving it what it NEEDED . . . maybe because I was so stubborn to show the medicos what they were saying wasnt true!!! Who knows . . . because we are all different, evidenced by just walking down the street!!! BUT . . . know there will be results . . . in your body’s own sweet time. Support your body as best you can – with the best menu you actually LIKE – within the parameters, and a positive outlook along the way. Im sure you will be rewarded – and maybe in an unexpected way!!! Hopefully you will see something feel an elation like opening an unexpected gift when you do weight-in. We are here to listen and support you 🙂

• posted by Fernie
    on

The scales have started to move again in the right direction. I love data, and number crunching. I use the app libra for logging my weight and I’m still ahead of target (I set my target as losing 2lbs per week.

However today had a NSV, I measured my waist and hips, in 25 days I’ve lost 2.7 inches off my waist and 4.7 inch off my hips. Yay! The clothes are not so tight.

Big test this weekend, I’m riding to the seaside to go camping, my motorbike should fit better which will be a godsend in this hot weather and I’m taking a frying pan so I can have eggs and mushrooms for brekkie and a chicken breast with a bag of salad for dinner.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Good for you! Safe journey! Enjoy the diversion 🙂

• posted by Fernie
    on

well definitely not diabetic, my hba1c is 31, and FBS was 4, which I should hope it would be bearing in mind i’ve been on BSD diet for 4 weeks. But was good to check bearing in mind family history.

Now in week 5 and stalled at 1 stone loss, but still happy to chugg along, got into a routine of eating this way. Going to up the cardio exercise as just yoga is not taxing enough on the body. Might also try a couple of 16hr fasts to kick start things again.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Good news!!! Well done!!! I too have had some positives. My elder son who hadnt seen me since all this rukkus started said he couldnt believe how well I looked nor the energy I had harnessed. AND I had another win today . . . bumped my Diabetic Nurse in the supermarket and asked if she had followed up about Dr MM as I suggested. She waffled a bit and Im not sure she had but thats immaterial . . . I just said something mundane like . . . . “oh well when you can because . . .” and showed her my slacks which have needed smaller elastic in the waist! and told her consistently over the past week my BSL’s on rising have been consistently 5’a and 6’s with a 7 on one morning. SHE SAID SHE WAS HAPPY WITH THAT – (which was such a comfort!!!) – AND I was looking good!!!!! Parting comment was “dont worry about the 7. Stress or situations can cause that small rise so . . just keep on keeping on :)” Thats ONE hurdle. Now the Endo appointment which is in approx 8 weeks . . . (when Im hoping he is as impressed with his “new patient” thus far and will allow me to continue . . .without any meds . . . and then its back to the GP. Thats the one Im not looking forward to . . . as the last time we parted company I felt patronised and humoured. Ive had the time I asked her for – but which was denied. However, if that hiccup hadnt happened . . my younger son wouldnt have apoken to his mate . . . who had been to an Endo . . . who said “check out no carb diet and blood sugars will take care of themselves.” Tonight Im feeling so blessed for those who have “been there” when I needed them – and the information they carried to point me in this direction. That isnt coincidence 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

That’s great news WoodDuckie! As you say, one hurdle over with the DN. I’m heartened to read of her encouragement!
    I don’t know if you spotted, but I posted that your stir fry recipe was a great success and have containers of chopped veggies in the fridge so I can just quickly knock one up each evening. I can eat the same thing every day during the week and not get bored as it’s just fuel for me! Delighted to read of your son’s amazement at the changes he sees in you! Keep up the good work, you are doing fabulously! 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Kazz! i must’ve replied on another thread . . . my apologies! Im SO glad you enjoyed my short cut stirfries!!!! Thank you!!! Another I made foor my son on Sunday night . . . gingered king prawns . . .butter, crushed ginger from the jar – (so easy just dip in the spoon!) – shallots and bokchoy or pakchoy . . . Asian 5 Spice grinder – (or maybe that was a little bit of chilli grind as well . . .) – waved over the top . . . sliced leek rings scattered over the top . . . and . . . . OH THAT WAS YUMMY!!! (Well we thought so!) Of course you can add whatever you like. I find the spicier the flavours the less hungry I am after. 🙂 Ground beef with a spicy steak grinder onions, and coleslaw veges is yummy as well.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, WoodDuckie! Good to see you back and posting again, and that you were simply
    away for the weekend 🙂 Could you please tell me what spicy steak grinder onions are?

Allie

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Alliecat! Re the “grinders” . . . . in our supermarkets with the cooking seasonings like mixed herbs and Italian herbs, Asian spices – (I have the Asian 5 one which is very versatile . . .), along with the cracked black peppercorns, and Himalayan pink rock salt one . . . all sit by my stove 24/7. They are about 5″ high and when you remove the little cap . . . there is a mini grinder inside . . , you tip them on their head and twist the top to fresh grind the quantity you want. The others which sit on the top of my upright stove . . . Extra Peppery Steak . . . Chilli and Garlic flakes . . . Everyday Meat Spices . . . Lemon Pepper . . . and so on. The dried onion one doesnt have a grinder . . . just small pieces of dried onion and a shaker top. (Today found chopped garlic, as well as garlic cloves in oil, to add to my crushed garlic fridge jars collection which are now chilli, basil, and ginger!!). So back to the grinders . . . the dry ingredients are all in the mini skinny tall jars right there – just need grinding and the mini grinder is built in!!! Just make you drool a little . . . when arriving home late for lunch today, I tossed 6 peeled frozen king prawns into a frying pan with some coconut oil . . . a dessertspoon of basil pesto . . . a little garlic and coleslaw veges on top. Steamed until prawns were cooked . . . LUNCH! I was still hungry 1.5 hours after so . . . mashed half an avocado with a small dribble of cream and chilli flakes, took some pork crackle crispy things as my crackers and a coffee 🙂 Hunger all fixed now and feeling VERY satisfied. How does that sound?

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Woodduckie!
    That sounds yummy! Thank you for the idea!

• posted by Fernie
    on

I’m so confused about the sub conversation here, i’m getting emails every time you chat to each other!

So i’ve lost another few inches, 8.6 inches off my hips and 6.82 inches off my waist. Strangely though I don’t feel yet that my clothes are falling down yet, those stretch skinny jeans must be very very stretchy! I’ve gone back to a bra that didn’t fit as well, all is good!

I had a fast day by accident yesterday/today, as I went to bed straight after work, and just ate breakfast now, I slept straight through dinner.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi! So glad you like the sound of it . . . And the best part is both the meal and that snack have held me in good stead without dinner – so a longer fast tonight . . . just a late coffee finished around 8.30. AND my latest revelation TO ME . . . dont cook enough for two meals at once – if it is a cracker of a combo – (which I sometimes manage!!!) – it is too tempting to go back for seconds. And I will be keeping a supply of those pork crispy bits on hand because they are magic for the munchies – and even better to know I have something which can both satisfy the crunch urge . . . and compliment a dip. This is getting way too easy! 15 minutes for a main meal . . . all the EXTRAS I had denied myself because . . . (everything and everyone said . . . no not good for you . . .) – for so long . . . are now ALLOWED and being enjoyed!!! LIKE THEY ARE MEANT TO BE!!! With the added bonus of me feeling a million dollars, stripping weight off hand over fist and more energy and brighter eyes than I can remember having in 10-15 years. Im BLESSED!!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Apologies Fernie I maybe replied to the wrong person by mistake 🙂 Inches are good . . . I wasnt adventuresome enough to do the tape measure thing 🙂 The “stretch” slacks are straight legged black with three buttons on a side plaquet on the outside of the ankles . . . just the fabric has stretch woven in so knees butt dont sag or bag . . . it was the waistband needed less elastic to hold them around my middle 🙂 The waist kept sliding down my nylon tights – and they were always FIRM around my butt . . . now they sit SO NICELY!!! Apologies for the confusion 🙂 But always nice to read of your adventures too!

Please log in or register to post a reply.